Spring in Seattle

What the heck does Punxatawney Phil know…he’s on the other side of the country. We are having an unusually early spring here. On Sunday it got darn near 70 degrees. Sometimes, when I start to feel sorry for people in chillier climates, I remember that I’ve lived there and decided to move just for that reason (well, that and a couple others).

Today is overcast, but we’ve been getting quite a bit of sun. It’s March and I’ve already had to mow my backyard twice..almost unheard of. Sunday marked my first Home Depot trip of the season. They already have out their plants and I bought a ton that I planted in my backyard. This year I am trying to be ahead of the curve with my yard maintenance. That way, I can spend my summer enjoying the oasis I’ve created (with a margarita in one hand and a good book in the other). We are seeing furniture stores put out their summer stuff early (Underhill’s is having a great sale on teak patio furniture). I worry a little that the winter blah will return but am taking advantage of the true spring weather while it’s here by spending as much time as possible outside.

Still have not gotten my hands on a digital camera, otherwise, I would post some pictures of the cherry blossoms which are stunning.

Sorry I am not posting something more interesting. But with this weather, it’s hard to focus on blogging. I’m really focused on the thought that summer is just around the corner.

1. daryllmc says:

p-shaw! This is plenty interesting. Seattle can hardly be beat any day of the year–and it EXCEPTIONAL when it’s sunny and warm. 🙂 Rock on.

2. Pradeep says:

summer is arnd the corner?

we havent even seen spring yet!!! 🙁

we just had a snow storm yesterday and another one due this weekend.

Just cant wait to start playing tennis out in the open.

3. Nathan says:

Yeah, I’ve been out to wash my car for the first time this winter…or is it spring now? And, on Monday I mowed my sister’s lawn for her. I also just realized how white my skin is…

4. Nadine says:

I’m so jealous. Really. I’d love to have a nice early spring. 🙂

To explain a bit, I’m from Germany, from the south, and it hasn’t stopped snowing for the last few weeks. We’re still waiting for spring, and the days where it was below 0°C were few and far between until now.

To say something else, keep up with the blogging. I found your blog today and will certainly bookmark it.

Greetings from snowy Munich!

5. Damon says:

25°F and overcast in Chi-town. *grin*

We had one day this past weekend (Sunday) where it was over 60. It was like a party. People were grilling, everybody was out walking, people were smoking stogies on their front steps, and having parties even though it was a Sunday night. Then the temperature dropped to below freezing throughout the course of the next day.

6. Heather says:

Nadine…that must be why they have the good beer in Germany..to keep you from worrying about the snow.

Damon-that sounds about right for Chicago! Next time you have pizza, will you come back here and tell me how it was (Gino’s, Giordano’s, Father and Son’s). I’m dying out here! ; ) Or a Chicago dog. I need a Chicago dog!

7. Chris Carss says:

This comment comes much belated as I just now discovered your web site. Here on southeastern Vancouver island where we are much sheltered from the Pacific storms, our core winter wet seasons usually ends around late Jan. This is followed by a 2 month transition which is neither fully winter nor fully spring, although this period does see a return to partly sunny conditions and the appearance of our first early spring flowers such as the crocus and as few others.

I’ve concluded that Feb & Mar. can be seen as kind of a 5th season here. More about this can be found at http://www.warmland.ca click on "cowichan information" & then follow the climate links.

Chris Carss

Environment Canada Chemainus Climate Station

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Chris-not siure if it’s official but Spring to Summer is kind of a quasi season here as well ; )

9. Chris Carss says:

Heather- There maybe something to your idea about a spring-summer season. In southeastern Australia which also has a modified Mediterranean climate, Monash University biologists & climatologists claim no less than 6 seasons, including the trad. 4 along with "pre-spring" (as I’ve proposed) and a distinction between "early summer" (roughly parallels your idea) and late or "high" summer.

If this interests you, you should be able to google "Monash" & "6 seasons" to see more of what they have to say & if you think it also works for the Pacific Northwest rainshadow region.

10. Chris Carss says:

Hi Heather (If you’re still there!),

I’m surprised your blog still has the piece about spring etc.  after 2 years.   I don’t know if this subject still interests you, but in case it does, this is my final conclusion about how the seasons operate in the Pacific Northwest.

I’ve experimented with models that involve more than 4 seasons but have concluded that the public and media in our culture can’t or won’t recognise more than 4.  What seems to be more acceptable is the idea that the seasons be separated by transitional periods rather than sharply at the equinoxes and solstaces.

These are the seasons as I now see them in the low lying areas of the Pacific Northwest coastal region.   This is where most of us live (rather than up in the mountains) and most people I know agree with this model when I explain it to them.

Winter Season:                   January (1 month only!)

Winter-spring Transition:    February & March

Spring Season:                   April & May

Spring-summer Transition:  June

Summer Season:                July & August

Summer-fall Transition:       September

Fall Season:                        October & November

Fall-winter Transition:         December

The general pattern is a 2 month season followed by a 1 month transition into the next season.  However, due to our mild Pacific climate, the nearest thing we have to a winter season is usually very short, lasting only about one month most years.

Conversely, our very slow but early-starting ascent out of winter provides coastal regions with a very long transition into spring that usually last 2 months; about the same length of time as the core periods of most of the other seasons.  This long transition into spring constitutes what I had originally proposed as a 5th season.

Chris Carss

Environment Canada Chemainus Climate Station

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Chris – blog posts don’t really go anywhere..you don’t take them down when they are old. You definitely know more about seasons and climate than any of us!