Testing your Internet Visibility

Way, way back, when I first started blogging (last year), I mentioned the importance of being visible on the Internet (so recruiters can find you, etc.). Business 2.0 has come out with a People Search function that lets you enter first and last name and receive search results listing the name, title and company (with a hyperlink to web pages). For folks that do the kind of internet searching I do, this is a great tool. We often source on keywords that are skill related. But a lot of the time we know the name of a person and we want to get to their info fast fast fast. This will help with that.

The tool basically builds the resume of the person and links to the pages it used to collect the data.

You know you want to look yourself up (you ego surfer you!). Go ahead!

1. interesting. My problem with things like this: middle name/initial. Scott Reynolds. Pretty common. Google it. I come up fourth and not again on the first page. However, my "identity" since I joined the professional world has been "Scott C. Reynolds". Google that and the top 3 results are me. It’s how I sign my emails, it’s my email address, how I sign checks, how all my creditors know me, and so on.

I see that you come up second on the search 🙂

2. Neil Cowburn says:

Heh. The #1 result in my search has me down as an "animated task manager" LOL That sounds like fun to me. #2 hit the nail on the head, #3 is wholly inaccurately — I’ve never been published in MSDN Magazine (although I would welcome the opportunity).

3. The Business 2.0 blog doesn’t really have anything good to say about their own search mechanism. In fact they recommend not bothering to us it.

Phil

4. Heather says:

Phillip-they obviously aren’t recruiters. It’s a pain to scroll through huge amounts of info just to get a title of someone. I’m not saying this function is the be-all/end-all. Just a good first stop if you don’t have a ton of time.

5. Howard Hoy says:

How funny. It found my privacy statement on my website.

HMM.. check this out.. I searched for last name of Microsoft..

Jackson Microsoft

Title: Counsel

Company: Microsoft’s JVM

Date: 6/28/2001

Are you Jackson Microsoft?

LOL…

6. I’m #180 at Business.com and #4 at Google when searching on my name.

I played around with the Eliyon people search a couple of years ago and wasn’t impressed. A lot of the data it turned up was woefully out of date.

7. Mark Tookey says:

If found me! Only problem is that there is a New Zealand rugby player with the same name, and he seems to get a higher priority for some reason…

Mark

8. That isn’t very accurate. I looked up my boss’s name, "Rob Howard". It shows up under "Telligent Systems" as it should, but like the 4th or 5th reference article is something about pleading guilty to a murder charge. AFAIK, he’s never done any jail time.

9. Rebecca says:

It couldn’t find me at all, even with including my middle initial. Like others in this comments previous, I have a really, really common name.

10. Nicole Simon says:

In my case, the first real hit for really my person was for the ‘company’ Notetab – that is my fav text editor and I made some sound recordings for them.

Every google search gives you a better impression.

Nicole, with a very common name but long enough on the web to have enough visibility even on that name ;o)

11. Anil says:

Search my name and you will find me at http://www.mbaassociation.org. Just another way of gaining visibility.

12. Nathan says:

It’s only fair to point out that the blog is Business 2.0; the search is on Business.com, not related to B2. That would explain why the blog entry isn’t a favorable review.

Google me and you get…me. Oh, and a Civil War veteran who’s probably related somehow.

13. That was pretty interesting – the entries I found for me were all relative to posts I had done on my weblog and didn’t have me in a very accurate position. Basically if I had blogged about a product or group – it had me working for them. Maybe I should write a post about Donald Trump and be the next apprentice. 😉

14. Heather says:

good idea Amanda…let us know if the Donald calls ; )

15. Yeah, not very accurate. The fact that I’m #7 bothered me, since I am far and away the most popular "Jeremy Wright" in every search engine. Ah well.

16. Heather says:

OK, I understand some of the frustrations but we can’t all be #1 ; ) Seriously…being #2 or #5 on a list that someone is likley to look through may be better than being lost in a gazillion google results. It just helps narrow the funnel…not get you that one magic result. Anyway, as a recrtuier, we would never use just one tool for this type of thing anyway. It’s all about finding the quickest way to get to the info you want.

17. Sorry, I forgot my little smiley 🙂 I wasn’t seriously concerned, since I’m not actually looking for a job. Thankfully, I’m sure Google and Yahoo and MSN Search are part of your portfolio of tools, so any recruiter looking for me by name is bound to find me quickly and easily anyways.

18. Nathan says:

The unemployed are really at the mercy of Corporate America. I’m almost positive if you look you’ll find, at least, 20 copies of my resume at Microsoft. Gretchen even has a copy, hehe.

19. Anastasia says: