Google blog sleeps with the fishes

Over on BL Ochman’s blog, she discusses the “disappearing” of a blog by a critical Google employee (full disclosure…he used to work at MS and I don’t know him). I guess I’m not surprised if he’s in trouble (justified or not…I’m not debating that in this post), but the disappearing of the blog seems a little mysterious, no? Seriously, making it disappear simply ensured that we would all be looking at a cached copy.

1. Maurits says:

Maybe something he said came close to violating an NDA so he took it down willingly?

2. Heather says:

Maurits-what I saw suggested that it wasn’t just taken down but it was "removed". I’m not technical, though. The posts provide more details.

3. karl says:

While I don’t agree with google taking down his blog (unless Maurits is right), I really don’t feel sorry for him. All the things he complained about are things he should have known ahead of time. It’s not like he didn’t know he had to pay everything up front and what his healt coverage was going to be. Everything he says seem to have a very negative, non-team player attitude. He criticizes the benefit he gets at google as self-serving, and praises the ones Microsoft gives (don’t you think Microsoft might have a motivating factor in the matter as well?).

Bah, something about his blog entry really irked me…

4. Heather says:

Karl-I agree that he should have known better. I’m not sure I understand what you think Microsoft had to do with it? That we took his blog off of google? Doubtful.

5. AndrewSeven says:

His blog seems to be back up…

6. Heather says:

They had a problem with that content? But not the other stuff he wrote? Jeesh! I’m just armchair quarterbacking, but I agree with Adwait that the explanation doesn’t match the reaction.

7. karl says:

My point about microsoft was that he kept complaining that everything google does, while seemingly for the good of the employee, is actually to benefit the company. But at the same time he was saying how great the benefits are that Microsoft offers. Microsoft didn’t do anything, I was just saying HE seemed to be applying a double standard…when google does something good it’s selfish, when microsoft does, everyone else should. It wasn’t with respect to the blog being taken down, just what he said in it….

8. Actually, the problem was that he talked about a financial presentation in a little bit of detail (although no numbers or trends and nothing negative) and they wanted that gone.

9. Heather says:

Karl-makes sense. When you said "motivating factor" I thought you meant with regard to the blog post, not to offering benefits. Yep-what you said totally makes sense. It was kind of like biting the hand that feeds you. Not something I would recommend to a newbie at any company.