Taking that week and a half off was harder than I thought. I just can’t do that again and not go somewhere sunny. I get pretty antsy over a long weekend without some kind of project to work on. I really was not in the mood to do a bunch of projects over the holidays because I wanted it to actually feel like a vacation. Plus…ths holidays kind of bug me…I know..I’m sorry but it’s true. The commercials, the crowds, being forced to eat all that heavy food (yeah, right). I love my routine and the holidays takes me out of that routine. Anyway, I am back now and glad.
Anyway, I’ve already been scolded once for not blogging enough over the break. So here’s a little recap of the holidays for me…”What I did over my winter break”, by Heather Hamilton:
1) Caught up on my magazine reading. OK, I’m about to admit a major sickness I have. I am a magazine junkie. Seriously..I subscribe to: Cooking Light, Vanity Fair, People, Allure, Real Simple, Rolling Stine, Entertainment, Newsweek, Glamour, Maria Claire, InStyle, Fortune. Oh, I am sure I am forgetting a couple ; ) Anyway, those magazines stack up. So I’m finally caught up (now you can see how fun my winter break was if this was a highlight)
2) House projects…just some minor ones like the yard work I have been neglecting (isn’t it weird how when leaves on trees die, they don’t just disappear?). I’m sure my neighbors are happy about that.
3) Lots of cooking and baking. 2 kinds of cookies, chocolate zucchini bread., pierogies. I’m kind of obsessed with my crock pot right now too.
4) Started a new book…let’s just say that Tom Wolfe writing as a modern, college-aged female is quite humorous. The book reviews have been horrible because his voice doesn’t ring true, but I find it kind of funny. It’s craptacular reading.
5) Caught up on my Tivo and got my fill of Best Damn Sports Show, Sports Center, and the Barefoot Contessa. I know it sounds like I have split personalities. Watched some bowl game coverage too. You could pretty much just give me ESPN and Food TV and I’d be happy.
6) Slept in. This was really weird. I usually wake up at about 7-8 on the weekends. There was more than one day over the holiday that I woke up after 10.
7) Oh yeah, the whole gift exchange thing. It was a good year, but I have to admit that I bought a number of presents for myself. I buy myself the more expensive stuff and then let the relatives get me the less expensive stuff. Given that my b-day was in there too, I treated myself quite well, thank you very much. My gifts to myself: Kate Spade wallet, Cuisinart Stainless Steel Grind and Brew Coffee maker with carafe (the coffee maker of my dreams), Riedel O Series wine glasses and a Dremel drill (there goes that split personality again). Gifts I received: new pillows (the same ones they have at the Marriott….I finally got them), Henkels bread knife and cleaver (gotta love good culinary supplies), beading stuff. Wow…Henkels, Dremel, Riedel…guess I’m stimulating the German economy this year! Also my dad and step mom took me to the Barking Frog for my birthday (OMG!…sea bass with risotto and carmel sauce…sounds weird…tastes amazing!) and treated me to a facial at the spa! I’m pretty much over gift giving and pretty much over celebrating my birthday (yeah, 36 this year, but who’s counting!) but got some good stuff this year.
8) Tried to teach myself to knit. I’m good with the casting on, but not so good with everything that comes after that. I am going to keep practicing. It will not defeat me! I’m hoping my buddy Suzanne will take pity on me and help me out over a glass of wine someday soon (oh wait, the wine may actually be the reason I am not very good!)
Well, now it kind of looks like I did a lot over the winter break (and that I am a total home-body) but I have to admit that it was a bit boring. I have a really hard time just vegging out. So glad to be back at work with a long “to do” list.
I’ll blog more about work related stuff soon.