I don’t want to, but I have to

I got hit really hard with the blog spam last night. My inbox was flooded and I’ve spend a craptacular morning deleting all of it. As much as I don’t want to, I am going to have to start moderating comments…which is really going to stink over the holidays but I will be logging on and doing some blogging (with a glass of wine in my hand…you don’t mind, right?)…gotta stay sane during my least favorite season of the year (sorry, but that’s the truth…I just like normal routine…and the Christmas songs are driving me nuts!). So if you post something I’ll try to get it up very quickly.

I really hope that this won’t discourage people from posting comments. I’ll only be deleting  totally inappropriate (or in my world AKA “gross”) comments (have only had to delete one so far for that reason) and spam. This will just make it easier for me because I won’t have to wade through hundreds (literally…no joke) of spam e-mails and remove each of them.

If you happen to see any spam posts that I missed, feel free to let me know what post title it’s attached to and I’ll get rid of it.

I guess that I am just a little sad that it’s come to this (am I being dramatic or what?). I actually like the real-time nature of blogging and commenting. Maybe we can go back to that sometime.

1. Arne says:

I get spammed quite frequently until I installed a plug-in that blocks most spam. Not sure what system you are using – but maybe one is available?

2. Maurits says:

There’s a technical solution that suggests itself – it’s called "SURBL"

It’s an online database of spamvertised URLs.

Perhaps .Text could be enhanced to check posts against SURBL when they are posted? That could cut down on blogspam. Some other blogging software products do this, so I know it’s feasible in the large sense. Whether it’s feasible for .Text I don’t know.

3. I’m a huge fan of a little piece of software by the name of spam-karme… It’s a plugin for WordPress, based around an addon for MovableType I believe… Works great with intelligent detection of spam, email-based auto moderation by the commentor…

Maybe such a beast could be added to your software… ?

4. Kapil M says:

Automated spam could easily be blocked using users manually enter the text from captcha-like images. Similar to what hotmail /yahoo have on their email account sign ups.

Kapil

5. Christian says:

Heather, just wanted to tell you that I have added your word "craptacular" to my lexicon. Thank you for that.

6. Sean Kent says:

Wow – that really bites, Heather. Isn’t there some kind of blogging spam filter available now?

7. Heather says:

Glad I could help Christian ; )

8. Heather says:

Thanks Maurits…hopefully ScottWat is watching this…he’s the guy behind .Text

9. Heather, my subscriber service offers a spamblocker but it believes in overkill. Bummed that I might be missing something good… Feelings mutual on the Christmas hubbub. You deserve the wine. 😀

10. Heather says:

Cindy…what does Chicago smell like right now? I always miss it for a little bit over the holidays. I hate snow and cold but feel like I need a little dose of Chicago. If I was there, I might be shopping in OakBrook right now..or wondering where my car was under all the snow…oh wait…now I remember why I left. Oh, real pizza…real irish pubs!

OK, I am over it ; ) I’d miss Seattle too if I left ; )

11. TDub says:

Ahh, Cindy…I for one am glad you are taking the time to delete "gross" items, since you are taking the time to facilitate what you have created/taken on. Choice is not a bad thing…particularly since you would get the blame for a bad choice/occurence/post in a hot minute! And not making a choice is…a choice.. And you most definitely deserve the wine…particularly since you didn’t serve the whine. (Cheers!)

Yes, missing things is a bummer. But then again, if it was that good, you probably wouldn’t miss it, right? This is from someone who never wants to miss a thing cuz "you never know" (and yes, I’m a pack rat).

Cheers to you, and remember: you cannot (should not I’ve realized) please everyone. Do what you would want done for you and those who are with it will follow. Those who diss are jealous, lost, or not there yet. Or maybe you aren’t with them! And it’s all just OK….could be much worse. Salut!