This isn’t your mothers Maytag

The thought of washing machines doesn’t excite you right? You think “old company…what could they be doing that’s new and innovative?”. Uh, well, they are blogging. Check it out!

I’m pretty sure I’m not in their target customer segment, but I sure will be watching that blog.

1. GaryP says:

Thanks for the link, Heather. I appreciate it. Not only for the link, but for finding your weblog which is now in my news aggregator!

2. Heather says:

Sure Gary…keep up the good work!

3. Laurel says:

My 3 year old Maytag Atlantis is headed for the DUMP- Timer has been replaced 6 times – going out again & shut off valve for the hot water broke, causing $2000.00+ in damage to my hardwood floors. Email me if you want the "Beware of extended warranties saga".

4. Maytag man seems very busy today-not sleeping like in commercials. I have a (under 2 year old refrigerator) which needs a Jazz control, it seems it has been updated due to a problem. I’ve talked to 3 different techs and they (off the record) confirmed that Maytag has updated the part due to high a failure rate. After spending about 1/2 hour with a service rep at Maytag she told they wouldn’t warranty it, so asked for a supervisor & I am being kept on hold for over 20 minutes! And getting very irritated by the minute. The dealer who I purchased it from wants $200 labor to replace it- is this the type of service that we should expect from Maytag now that it has been bought out by Whirlpool?  I finally got a supervisor and now I’m waiting for a return call after they speak to the service facility. It seems that they are like General Motors, Ford & Chrysler- denial mode until the press gets a hold of it!

I just got a call from the supervisor and finally they agreed to warranty it. But it’s still not my mother’s Maytag Company, I had to spend an hour on the phone (mostly on hold) to get what they should have taken care of without having to even call them, so I’ll think twice and check the internet before I buy another maytag product.

5. I bought a maytag frid, stove and dishwasher in the last year.  Ever appliance was at the more expensive end.

The dishwasher has broken 4 times in the first 13 months.  It takes on average 2-3 weeks to get a repairman out.  Even longer if you need a weekend appointment (both my wife and I work).

The handles for both the bottom and top part of the oven broke off.  The patterns which tell you which jet you are turning on is off.

The refrigerator handle has also broken 2 times.  It is a bottom loading fridge which constantly comes off track and doesn’t close properly.

I filed a complain but did not hear from anyone in management.

Maytag used to be a good brand, but I not recommend any of their products at this point in time.

6. I bought a Neptune Top Loader washing machine in July 2005.  Right away the cycles had a balancing problem.  I called Sears  where the machine was purchased and was advised to re-balance the load.  Other calls to Sears, put more clothes in it.  Sears attempted to tell me that the machine works with full loads.  When I purchased the machine, I was not informed that you had to use full loads, the manual, DVD and VHS provided doesn’t state this either.  The machine has had three parts replaced and my only hope is the lemon law provided by Sears.  If they replace four parts within a 12 month period, the product qualifies for the lemon law.  Didn’t Amana buy out Maytag.  Is there a method to their madness.

7. victoria2dc says:

QUESTION:  Hi – hope you don’t mind me asking a dumb question here.  I just got an old, old Maytag washer (for free, I might say) and it has a dispenser for ?????? (like a cup) on top of the thingey that sticks up in the middle of the machine!  You know that spinning thing that goes around when you’re washing or in spin cycle?

What goes in that dispenser thing?  Is that the soap dispenser or something else like fabric softener?  Any ideas?  I have looked for an online manual, but I found you guys instead!

Thanks if you have any ideas for me!

Victoria…

8. victoria2dc says:

Thanks if you have any ideas for me!

Victoria…

9. Don says:

That’s the fabric softener dispenser. They recommend diluting it, so dump your softener in there and then add a capfull of water to it. Do this at the beginning of the wash cycle.