What happens to your corporate blog when you leave the company?

Rebecca is leaving monster.com and is handing her blog over to her co-workers. Gosh, I don’t know if I could ever do that! I feel too personally connected to my blog. I know I don’t post that much about my personal life (you don’t really want to hear about my crummy weekend do you? aside from USC beating Virginia Tech, it was not my best one). Anyhoo, I feel  like the idea of blogs is that they belong to the individual. So if I were to leave Microsoft, I would be happy to provide links to other MS recruiting blogs, but would want my MS blog to die a nice quiet death.

Guess that is a decision everyone has to make for themselves.

1. Maurits says:

Fight on!

2. Heather says:

Maurits, are you a Trojan too? I knew I liked you ; )

3. Jerry Pisk says:

I really do want to hear about your crummy weekend, it would help me copy with my crummy weekends (at least Angles won on Sunday).

4. Howard Hoy says:

Which is the exact reason I don’t have a corporate blog.

5. Heather says:

Trust me Jerry, mine wouldn’t make you feel any better. It was my own doing. I can’t blame it on any sports team ; )

Howard-I never thought if it as a reason not to blog. Worst case scenario would be having to start a new blog from scratch elsewhere. That isn’t too bad.

Anyway, I don’t think I would have the energy to keep up a personal blog in additional to this one.

6. Howard Hoy says:

Heather – I certainly wouldn’t let the fear of death of my corporate blog stop me from blogging. If my only avenue to blog was through my corporation (my corp has yet to allow it) I would start a corporate blog regardless of what happens to it after I am gone.

What about having both a corporate blog and a personal one? Do you do that?

What about your disclaimer? These are YOUR views, right.

I personally like Jim Blizzard’s disclaimer.

7. Heather says:

Yeah, I have a disclaimer. It’s not that I’m afraid to express my views, I’d just rather keep private stuff from mixing with my work. I feel like it’s OK to epxress my personal opinions on things, but I draw the line at sharing too much about my personal life. It’s more about professional comfort level than anything else. I guess there are a couple reasons why I don’t have a personal blog. Mostly, it is the amount of time it would take to keep up 2 blogs. I like my job but I don’t want to spend THAT much time in front of a computer.

8. Dunno, I see The Monster Blog as decidedly different from Heather’s "Marketing at Microsoft" Blog. One IS the individual. The other is the company.

In the case of the Monster Blog, it was never HER blog to begin with, and it was never about her. It wasn’t her views, her opinions or anything. This is your blog. Your views. Your opinions. You.

Handing it over wouldnt’ be appropriate.

What happens if you ever leave MS though? I thought blogs.msdn.com was only for employees?

9. Come on, Heather. Wouldn’t it be incredible if your blog became such an important brand that Ol’ MS would have to maintain its marketing recruiting blog under your name and URL even if it was now run by Suzy or Mike. Actually, it’s almost too much to hope for.

10. Heather says:

CH-I agree with Jeremy. This blog is branded with my name. I think the platform for delivering it is Microsoft’s and they could leave it up or close it down if I were to leave (by the way, I’m not planning on going anywhere!). But to have someone else blog as me would be totally inapprporiate and not incredible at all, as far as I am concerned. Besides, could they ever, ever be snarky enough? I don’t know ; )

Now having Michael and Anthonly both blogging as "Canadian Headhunter" is probably pretty smart since you can’t tell who the heck you are talking to. Anthony rarely comes out, but if it’s short and polite it’s usually him. If it’s sassy and sometimes confusing, it’s Michael ; ) Anyhoo, you guys could sign your comments with your actual names ; ) Don’t be too much of an anonyblogger dudes!

11. Heather, you’re not snarky. You’ve got to try harder. As for Anthony and me, here’s a handy guide. We alternate every other day and leave the weekends up for grabs. And our names are at the bottom of our posts. (Don’t be vain; get those glasses!). Short posts are, in fact, usually mine. Polite blogging persona? His. Though I would call it neutral. He saves his rants for non-business venues (tho not always). I figure that we’ve got so few vistors it doesn’t matter. And people expect the blogosphere to be a bit more lively (exteme?). It makes it more interesting. Business is already neutral enough.

12. Heather says:

Michael-sign your comments on other peoples’ blogs though, OK?

Snarky comes natural to me. Ask my friends.

13. Anthony says:

Just for the record I have never left a comment here. It’s been all Mike all the time.!!

14. OK. I just assumed you knew it was me.

15. Heather says:

Uhhuh…and that last one was Michael right? I’m sure you are two very different people in the real world, but when posting as CH, you blend together. Anthony, you should make Michael sign his posts so you don’t get blamed for what he says ; )