Microsoft words…

Andrew Coates blogs about words that are over-used at Microsoft. I guess I do know what he is talking about. One of my beloved co-workers starts most sentences with “Hey!”, but I’m not telling who it is ; )

I’ve taken to using the non-word “anyhoo” a little too much, but I think that is blog specific.

Let me see…more MS verbiage…

jazzed …have you ever heard anyone anywhere else use that word? I haven’t?

synch-up, synch back, etc….lots of synching going on here

sched plus, S+, sked plus…we mean send a meeting request (refers to an old feature name in outlook)

planful…yes I am serious…I think I may have used it myself once or twice…I like it

value-add, added-value…reminds me of super-sizing your order at McDs.

Oh yes, I used the word “coopetition” last week. And I am very fond of those little quotation mark things you do with your fingers but more in a funny way than an obnoxious way (I hope).

I’m sure there’s some sociology study that shows that people that form a community develop their own language (like twins). I know that we aren’t that rare.

Anyhoo…more words?

1. Jerry Pisk says:

I always thought it was anywho, not anyhoo.

2. sara ford says:

super-excited (aka, a microsoftie that is really excited)

Let’s ship this puppy! (aka, let’s ship the software product)

On your plate (aka, a work item / bug assigned to you)

3. Mike says:

Efficacy is overused. I don’t think many people who use it actually know its definition though.

4. Heather says:

Jerry…hoo is to say if it’s anywho or anyhoo? Webster? Me? Yoo? ; )

5. I’m told that a lot of you Microsoftians start sentences with the word "So", but I don’t think that’s odd at all. I do it all the time.

But "planful"? Dear God. 😛

6. Heather says:

Ugh, Chris, I know. As annoying as it is to some people, one finds themself doing it anyway. I know I am going to have to update this post as I go to more meetings and hear more stuff. Sara added some good ones. I over-use "super" as well. Super tired, super excited, super strategic, super whatever. In the interest of full discloser, I also overuse "dude" and "whatever". I wonder how my non-MS friends can stand me, really.

7. Maurits says:

I’ve heard "jazzed" frequently. Picked it up from my parents, actually – they were musicians at the time. It’s possible the word "jazz" comes from the word "jazzed" and not the other way around 🙂

I vote for "anyhoo" rather than "anywho" – at least, the way it’s most commonly used. doesn’t list either, for what it’s worth.

Just looked up jazzed on as a hoot:

# Slang.

1. To exaggerate or lie to: Don’t jazz me.

2. To give great pleasure to; excite: The surprise party jazzed the guest of honor.

3. To cause to accelerate.

8. Heather says:

I’m with you, Maurits, on the anyhoo spelling. Since it comes from "anyhow", I don’t see why the "w" should get in there. Plus it looks funnier as "anyhoo" (and you can add as many Os as you want).

I bet jazzed is slang that came out of the early 20th century. I never really heard anyone use it until I heard Bill Gates speak.

9. Jerry Pisk says:

How about nehoo (pronounced n-e-hoo)? Mee thinks that looks more l337. I’ve seen a lot of folks use ne1 on IRC in the old days…

10. Heather says:

nehoo…i like it. I must not be cool if I don’t know what l337 means though, huh?

11. T.S. says:

When I worked in radio, "hey" had a special meaning for us, but only at the Southeast radio stations. It could either mean the commercial was written by a certain person notorious for starting every spot with "Hey!" and also greeting everyone with "Hey!" or it meant the copy seemed to be geared towards rednecks. So, just by saying, "Hey copy" talent and producers could be made to cringe, roll their eyes, or go into convulsions.

Forgot how I came across your blog.

12. Heather says:

T.S.- my southern realtives say "hey" as a greeting instead of "hi" too. I thought it was because of the laid back southern lifestyle and that fact that you have to move your face less when you say "hey".

And Willie Mays was known as the "Say Hey Kid". Not sure exactly what that is about, but aren’t I cool for knowing about it in the first place?

13. "In the interest of full discloser, I also overuse "dude" and "whatever"."

HA ha HA ha HA ha HA ha HA ha HA ha! Do you make the ‘W’ symbol with your thumbs and forefingers when you say "whatever"?

14. Maurits says:

1337 or |337 or l33t is hacker-ese for "elite"

elite -> ‘lite -> "leet"

It’s a common hackerism to substitute numbers or other symbols for letters – this defeats keyword searching.

Maurits in hacker-ese could be //@ur175 (5 = s)

15. Heather says:

Christopher…I don’t do the "W" thing. That came into vogue a little after I developed the addiction to "whatever", which started as "whatever dude!" in 1987. That was totally acceptable in Southern Califonria at that time. So I am not as much of a freak as I sound.

Maurits..OK, now I feel really cool for knowing that. And I’ll have to figure out how to spell my name like a hacker. Excellent!

16. "Whatever dude" is still acceptable in Southern Cali, Heather. Your freak-ness is another issue entirely. 😛

17. Heather says:

Sweet! At least I’m memorable then! Normal is boring!

18. You realize you just used the words "dude" and "sweet" within the space of 2 comments, right? 😉

19. David says:

I heard a marketing/PR person recently refer to separate tasks or

areas of info as "buckets." It was new to me, but then I’m

not used to hearing about product launches.

Phrases, not words…Not so exclusive to MS.

– Thanks for the heads up

– Just checking to see if we are all on the same page

(Annoying. I never use!)

20. Heather says:

Christopher…for sure! Are you wondering whether I am really a mid-30s female or a teenage boy? Hee!