Speaking of feeling my age…

Here’s an 80s pop music quiz. First let me say I’m a bit of a pop culture junkie and I turned 12 in 1980 so I remember all this stuff pretty well (and I look young for my age, so there!). Plus I have a memory for details like annoying song lyrics that don’t make sense or become culturally irrelevant very quickly (”lay a whisper on my pillow“…come on…what does that mean?)

Let me tell you about some of the embarrassing records (for me, cassettes) I owned in the 80s: Rick Springfield, Trip Shakespeare (OK not so much embarrassing as obscure…OK a little embarrassing), lots of INXS, Red Hot Chili Peppers (still love them…they were cooler then), Guns N’ Roses (please come back Axl, without the flowered stretch pants), Urban Dance Squad (I know…bad!), Michael Penn, Robbie Neville (what was that song again), the Cure (so morbid), the Smiths, the Smithereens (these green thoughts), UB40 (so I bought the CD when the tape wore out), U2 (pretty much everything they came out with and saw them in concert 3 or 4 times)lots and lots of REM (which I also replaced with CDs), Steve Miller Band and BTO (OK technically 70s stuff but I bought them in the 80s), Sugarcubes…it’s just all so sad now ; )

My final score was 87.6. See if you can beat that ; )

1. Adam Bomb says:

I got an 89. should have been higher, but I misspelled Rio and Colitas. What a brutal quiz! I loved it.

2. 144 baby! Thanks for blogging this…that was a very welcome diversion!

3. Heather says:

Ach! I mis-spelled Colitas too! Who calls it that anyway…not that I have any reason to call it anything ; )

4. I spelled Colitas correctly because I used to have an Eagles guitar songbook and it was in there. I have, to this day, no idea what Colitas is. Probably why it stuck with me.

5. Rick Schaut says:

114.6, -30 because I was born before Woodstock. As for colitas: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_001.html. "Cool whip in my hair"? Shades of "’Scuse me while I kiss this guy."

6. Ooh, you would have beaten me by .6. Many thanks on the pointer to Colitas…and it makes so much sense now.

7. Chris Auld says:

Erm……..

I had a Milli Vanilli tape…

*blushes*

Fortunatly I think that Sata put it in my Christmas stocking so I can at least blame ‘him’.

8. Justice says:

I’m similarly cursed with this obscure knowledge. (It’s on my mp3s for working out)

9. Bill Wagner says:

Another great time sink for lyrics from songs: http://www.kissthisguy.com/ the archive of misheard lyrics. The REM Section alone (This one goes out to the one-eyed Dove) is worth the visit.

For the younguns, the site is named for Jimi Hendrix’ classic misheard lyric in Purple Haze "Scuse me while I kiss the sky".

10. Heather says:

Chris…was that Santa or Satan? ; )

Bill-it’s so sad that you had to explain about Jimi Hendrix…I’m not sure when it happened, but sometime in my late 20’s I stopped being cool. Those crazy kids now…I don’t understand their music…and they don’t understand Jimi Hendrix…it’s all just so wrong! (And they laugh at me for loving Earth, Wind and Fire…whatever)

11. Oh man… first, my wife points out this morning that I have several gray hairs… now I get a 93 on an old-age test.

And the kicker… I knew it was "colitas" because the album jacket had the words inside.

12. Heather says:

Kirk,

If you had a Led Zeppelin wall hanging the glowed under a black light, I’d say you are probably in big trouble…or if you have Blue Oyster Cult concert t-shirt ; ) I’ve got you beat on the gray hair thing..almost 50% gray at 35 (but don’t tell anyone that).

13. Bill Wagner says:

Kirk,

Heather,

Does that mean I get extra old guy points for having the "Dark Side of the Moon" Poster?

14. Heather says:

Bill-I’m not sure..I think it at least makes you cooler than me

15. Are You Shakespearienced? Heh. I ran Transvision Vamp (and Wendy James), Romeo Void, Siouxie and the Banshees (The Creatures), Simple Minds, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Tiffany & Debbie Gibson, The Motels (Martha Davis), Cyndi Lauper, Big Country, Annie Lennox, Slowdive, DM, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Kraftwerk, Curve, Missing Persons, Cocteau Twins and anything spin-off from hence, Plasmatics and the whole history of 80โ€™s punk, Sisters of Mercy & et. al., Return to the Valley of the Go’s Goโ€™s catch, and Some Kind of Wonderful soundtrack โ€˜feelโ€™.

Oddball one, somehow I always managed to find myself with Steve Perry’s ‘Street Talk’ album, the ‘Oh Sherrie’ one, strangely eveyone seemed to own this, Preps and Corn Chips, Mods and New Wavers to Goth/Punks to Metalheads, all so ‘cross the tribes’. But heaven knows how I ended up with all the Stryper albums. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Alas, it was that era. Sorta like watching ‘The Breakfast Club’ now, you just want to wring their necks, per all the pointless teenage angst, as real world angst, oh boy…but one has to recall it was good then, so even if it’s not good now, it’s still good as it was good then. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Heather says:

Ack! Now I realize how uncool I still am! I own "Flock of Seagulls Greatest hits" and I’m pretty sure I bought it in the last couple if years! I still love Big Country (with a name like Heather Hamilton, I am required to love all things Scottish anyway). OK, I can’t look through this list you sent anymore Christopher…I’m envisioning the kids in my neighborhood referring to me as the crazy lady who lives with her dog and listened to 80s music ; )

I had Sisters of Mercy on casette. And I did have the Breakfast Club soundtrack (that was my prime…middle of high school). It was on cable a few weeks ago and I also found it annoying but also comfortable and familiar.

17. Ahh yes, but did you have Dramarama?

Skip to main content