Global Care Solutions: A new era for enterprise hospital information systems

In a HealthBlog post last October, I told you about Microsoft's acquisition of software, intellectual property, and other assets from Global Care Solutions (GCS), a privately held company based in Bangkok, Thailand.  The GCS Hospital 2000 information system is used across all clinical and administrative departments at Bumrungrad International Hospital where it was developed.

image image image

Because so many of you have asked for more information about Global Care Solutions, we've just released a new program in my House Calls for Healthcare Professionals series of audio-casts on this topic.  During this month's program, we examine:

How will GCS provide hospitals in international markets with new alternatives to achieve improved workflow and patient safety through information technology?

And, what does the acquisition mean for hospitals and health systems around the world?  Which markets are most likely to immediately benefit from solutions offered by Microsoft's Health Solutions Group and Global Care Solutions?

My special guests for this program include:

Patrick Downing Chief Executive Officer Global Care Solutions

Dr. Chamaree Chuapetcharasopon Senior Associate Medical Director, Bumrungrad International Hospital

Davide Vigano General Manager Enterprise Marketing, Healthcare Solutions Group, Microsoft Corporation

Click HERE to listen.  I hope you enjoy the show.

Also available for MP3 Download HERE

Bill Crounse, MD  Senior Director, Worldwide Health    Microsoft Corporation

Additional resources

Azyxxi

Hospital 2000 and Amalga PACS

Microsoft Health Solutions group

Bumrungrad International Hospital

1. Guest says:

Quote "How will this enterprise-class health information system complement Microsoft’s already strong portfolio of healthcare solutions and better position the company in its vision to improve health around the world?"

:))) There is nothing to complement here. Before Microsoft acquired GCS, it did not have any "strong portfolio of healthcare solutions". There were Microsoft products sold to healthcare vertical, but never solutions. This is just marketing pitch, nothing more …

2. hlthblog says:

Thanks for your comments.  All are welcome here.

Of course, I must strongly disagree.  First of all, more than 600 partners around the world use our core technologies and solutions to build applications for the healthcare industry.  As I’ve cited on this Blog, I am also blown away by the healthcare solutions that many of our customers are building using "out of the box" development tools, applications and solutions from Microsoft.  GCS is just one such example.

I define healthcare solutions much more broadly than just practice management, electronic medical records, or hospital information systems.  All of that is necessary of course, but the real power of information technology comes from using contemporary communication, collaboration and business and clinical intelligence tools that help us deliver health information and medical services in entirely new ways, and turn data into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom.  That is the value proposition of Microsoft in the healthcare industry.

Thanks again for writing.

Bill Crounse, MD

3. M says:

Global Care has a comprehensive product solution.

4. Guest says:

Dr. Crounse, please read CAREFULLY your original statement again. Quote: "How will this enterprise-class health information system complement Microsoft’s already strong portfolio of healthcare solutions and better position the company in its vision to improve health around the world?" You are talking about _Microsoft’s_ portfolio, not that of its partners here. And you are saying it will "complement" it.  If you are talking about partners and other healthcare solutions there then Global Care solutions does not complement them, it COMPETES with them. So, looks like you disagree with your own statement. Or please clarify what you mean by "Microsoft’s portfolio" in your writings as it is ambigious for readers.

5. hlthblog says:

Guest,

The portfolio includes Azyxxi, HealthVault, BizTalk and the BizTalk Hl7 accelerator, Connected Health Framework and infrastructure management solutions, Common User Interface, our unified communications stack, information worker solutions, business and clinical analytics solutions, etc.  Many partner solutions complement this portfolio with solutions that extend the functionality of applications to mobile devices, medical devices, MPI and EMPI, enhanced interoperability, etc.   Enough said.

Bill Crounse, MD

6. Guest says:

Allright…

First, Connected Health Framework is a paper (or electronic if you wish) document, a recommendation Microsoft put together which never materialized in any product or commercial code. Same is true with Common User Interface.

Second, BizTalk is not a solution, it is a platform for integrating information systems together. It is a product, sold to healthcare vertical, as I wrote in my first post. Even Azyxxi is not using BizTalk, to the best of my knowledge, which says enough on its own – Microsoft is not using its own products. Azyxxi has not yet been launched and released as a solution and from what I hear only has a handful of customers which bought some bits,but are not using t for day-to-day operations (yeah, you can mention Medstar, but it does not count, since it is where Azyxxi was created).

Next, quote "our unified communications stack, information worker solutions, business and clinical analytics solutions, etc". First of all, Unified communicaton is a product sold to healthcare vertical, not a healthcare-specific solution. Second, name me "information worker solutions, business and clinical analytics solutions" provided solely by Microsoft, which generate _Microsoft_ revenue streams and bring money. There are none.  Once again, you cite Microsoft products, sold to healthcare vertical, which is no unique in this regard from retail or communication sector.

Quote " Many partner solutions complement this portfolio with solutions that extend the functionality of applications to mobile devices, medical devices, MPI and EMPI, enhanced interoperability, etc. ".

It is getting interesting… As I already said, your first post was about _Microsoft’s_ portfolio and Global Care Solutions. So, please don’t include partners and ISVs or please clarify what you mean by "Microsoft’s portfolio" in your writings as it is ambigious for readers.  Once again, Global Care Solutions COMPETES with partners and ISVs from healthcare vertical. There is nothing to complement.

Finally, HealthVault. Interesting idea, perhaps. Currently makes some money through search only. But I would I want my medical data be stored at some dark server room on Microsoft campus in Redmond?

Dr. Crounse, please stop answering my questions by promoting Windows platform. I perfectly understand its value as I write code for it myself. Please answer specifically to the questions raised.

Thank you.

7. hlthblog says:

Guest,

Enough debate.  For more information about Microsoft in the heatlhcare industry visit http://www.microsoft.com/healthcare.  For customer evidence visit http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/ and perform a keyword search using "healthcare".

Bill Crounse, MD

8. Guest says:

Have been there, seen that long time ago. Once again, this all talks value proposition of Microsoft products sold to healthcare vertical and of Windows platform and nothing new. I am wating to see REAL customers in the _US_ market using Microsoft-built solutions (and not that of partners) you refer to eg Azyxxi and Global Care Solutions.

So far, I have not seen any. And by the way, I am not debating or arguing here. I am merely telling true facts and it seems like you can not respons to them.

My prediction is Microsoft will fail in the US healthcare IT market. It has been over a year since Azyxxi was acquired with no meaningful results.

Cheers.