Distributed in-memory cache from Microsoft at last!
Velocity is the code name for this distributed in-memory cache with the following features:
- Distributed in-memory cache
- A cluster of cache hosts provides fault tolerance
- Supports optimistic as well pessimistic locking of cached objects
- Manage the memory footprint through cache expiration (TTL) and LRU based eviction
- Supports named caches and searchable regions
- Client side cache using cache-aside pattern
- ASP.NET session synchronization
- Uses TCP/IP between the cache client and the cache cluster
- The cache host is a Windows service running on a physical server. The host service can run on the same server as the cache client (e.g. web farm) or on a separate physical server with which the cache client (web server or other application client) can communicate with.
The above are a few aspects of Velocity as in the first CTP1 bits. The above may change during subsequent iterations of the product.
Velocity can be downloaded from the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B24C3708-EEFF-4055-A867-19B5851E7CD2&displaylang=en
The Velocity team blog can be found at: http://blogs.msdn.com/velocity/