Today I did publish the PTF project on CodePlex (see http://ptf.codeplex.com/) which consists of a set of T-SQL stored procedures for managing partitioned tables in SQL Server. These procedures may be used in your SQL Agent Jobs or SSIS SQL Tasks that load data into staging tables of your data warehouse and then switch these tables into partitions of your partitioned fact tables, i.e. implementing a sliding window scenario. All SQL Server versions and Editions that allow for partitioned tables are being supported.
The following activities can be accomplished:
- Creating a staging table.
- Preparing a staging table, i.e. creating Indexes and constraints.
- Performing partition switches and Partition merges and splits.
- Unloading or uploading of specific partitions.
- Converting an unpartitioned table into a partitioned one.
For detailed documentation download the PTF.docx file from the codeplex project.