When you upgrade your existing Team Foundation Server to version 2010, upgraded team projects will work as before. However, you need to make some changes to these team projects if you want to enable the following features:
- Test Case Management
- Agile Planning Workbooks
- Lab Management
In this post, I’m providing a sample script to help you with many of the steps. For complete information about enabling these features, see the following article. Although it’s for Beta2, it is still applicable for RC:
- Enabling New Application Lifecycle Management Features for Visual Studio Team System 2010 Beta 2 in Upgraded Team Projects
Refer to the table below for a summary of the required changes to enable the new features for upgraded team projects. Note that these changes are only necessary for the team projects that existed before the upgrade. If you are creating new team projects, all of these features are enabled by default.
|Test Case Management||
|Agile Planning Workbooks||
(*): You can use the sample script attached to this article to make these changes marked with (*) in the table above.
However, this sample script is designed to work if the following are true:
- You are using the RC (English) version of Team Foundation Server 2010
- Your team project was created with the English language version of “MSF for Agile Software Development – v4.2” process template before you upgraded your Team Foundation Server
- No modifications have been made to the work item type definitions on your team project before or after the upgrade
- You are running the script on an English operating system that has Visual Studio Team Explorer 2010 RC
You need to either modify the sample script, or create your own if:
- Your team project was created with a process template other than “MSF for Agile Software Development v4.2” (English)
- You have made modifications to the out of box work item type definitions on your team project
- Your team project already has an existing Test Case work item type
- You want to use the existing “Repro Steps” field on your Bug work item type
- You are using a non-English Team Foundation Server
The attached ZIP file contains the script and updated MSF for Agile 4.2 work item type definitions. You must be a project collection administrator to run this script. The script requires the witadmin.exe utility which is installed by Team Explorer and Team Foundation Server.
To use the script, download and extract it to a local directory such as C:\Upgrade. Before you run the script, open “EnableFeatures.bat” in a text editor and complete the configuration by specifying values for the following:
- Team Foundation Server URL
- Name of the team project collection
- Name of the team project
- Path to witadmin.exe utility
- Set ConfigComplete = 1 to indicate that you’ve completed the configuration
Important: This script will only work against “unmodified” team projects created with “MSF for Agile Software Development – v4.2” process templates on RC version of Team Foundation Server 2010.
What does the script do?
The script is a simple batch file that uses the witadmin.exe utility to make the following changes:
- Saves a backup of your existing Bug, Task and Scenario work item types
- Adds new link types (Test Case / Shared Steps and Tests / Tested By)
- Adds new work item types (Test Case and Shared Step)
- Overwrites Bug, Task and Scenario work item types
- Adds work item categories
Download the Sample Script
If you have any questions about the script, feel free to contact me.