Snippy – C# Code Snippet Editor

Update (1/31/08): It looks like Snippy has now found a home on CodePlex. I haven’t been maintaining it for a few years now, so I’m not sure what it has become but feel free to check it out and ask the folks who seem to be working on it now for any more details.

Update (10/4/05): This page is a bit out of date now but Snippy’s new home can be found here. It’s now been improved in several ways and is currently available for Whidbey Beta 2 as well as the latest RTM RC. It’s now maintained by folks on the VSCore team.

— Original post —

Snippy is a tool I developed to ease the life of those creating C# code snippets (aka code expansions) for Visual Studio.  If you haven’t heard about code snippets yet, they’re a new feature we’ll have in the Whidbey release.  You can read more about them in these two entries by Shaykat and Anson.

This is still in a completely untested state except for some very basic testing I’ve done while developing.  So please don’t expect this to be perfect (is software ever perfect?) but it should be in a pretty good state.

The files Snippy generates should work fine with recent drops of Visual Studio.  So if you have access to recent builds, you should be able to use this tool.  It should also work with the upcoming community drop folks have been talking about.

Here’s a screenshot:

Download from GotDotNet.

1. maysam says:

Thanks, And would you please provide source code or .Net1.0 version?

2. Gus Perez says:

Maysam, I’ll provide the source soon. There were a couple of things I wanted to clean up first…

3. Anonymous says:

Julian Jewel's – Julian_Jewel.Weblog() : Create C# Code Snippets with Snippy

4. aBlogByGus says:

Here’s the current list of available applications I’ve written that you are free to download and use. They’re currently linked over to entries on my work blog, but I’ll end up hosting everything here in the near future. RightSideUp: Application…

5. Marc says:

Do you know codexchange?

6. MItch says:

Snippy doesn’t work with the VS2005 Beta2 code snippets. When loading a code snippet (e.g. class.snippet from the VS2005 install) the application will bomb with an unhandled exception for "Index out of range".

Snippy also should be updated to default to both ".xml" & ".snippet" in the file filter dialog.

7. Gus Perez says:

Thanks Mitch. I actually haven’t spent time on Snippy in a pretty long while. I’ll try to make some time to update it to work with beta 2 soon. Thanks for the report.

8. Shane Oborn says:

gus…you plan on releasing the source soon? i’m sure there are people willing to help tweak it for beta 2 if you just open the source up to the community….you have a very nicely designed tool so far….thanks for your work.

9. yubo6 says:

I just downloaded the application and tested it out a little bit. It worked perfectly for me and I am using VS beta 2.

Good job.

10. Joe Martinson says:

Try opening the prop snippet in C#. I also get the index out of range even with Beta 2. Please post the source so I can repair.

11. rnunes says: