RightSideUp – Automatically rotates images based on EXIF data

A .NET application that automatically rotates images in a folder using EXIF data stored in the image by some cameras.  There’s no longer a need to go through each image and manually rotate them yourself.  If your digital camera has support for storing an image’s orientation (such as the Canon Powershot S330 which has the “Intelligent Orientation Sensor”) then you should be able to use RightSideUp to automatically rotate all your images to their correct orientation.

Features:

• Installer and Uninstall support
  • Windows Explorer context menu support (auto-rotate individual images or folders with images by right-clicking on them in Explorer and selecting Auto-Rotate option).

• Enable these via the Options dialog available in the Tools menu.

• GUI mode allows you to browse through folders and image files

Screenshot:

Download: [Executable] — [Source]

1. Al says:

Does it do lossless rotation?

2. Gus says:

No, it doesn’t do lossless rotation. I thought that wasn’t actually possible but it’s not something I’ve really looked into. The differences in the rotated image are barely noticeable to me, if at all, so I don’t really mind.

3. t00ms says:

Does it keep EXIF data after the image has been rotated ? A lossless rotation would be great

4. Gus Perez says:

Yes, it once it rotates it I believe it keeps all the EXIF data and updates the orientation to whatever it is that represents ‘straight’. Though I’ve never really confirmed that it does keep everything else.

Regarding lossless, I agree, but I’ve read it’s not really possible, but like I said before I didn’t spend too much time on that so I may be wrong. If anyone knows of any code that actually does perform lossless rotation I’d love to have a look…

5. Jim Grace says:

This may help — a number of programs claim lossless JPEG rotation, and I’ve found one of them that describes a bit about the technique. The trick is to not decompress the JPEG all the way but rotate it while staying in the intermediate compressed form. More info can be found at http://park2.wakwak.com/~tsuruzoh/Computer/Soft/Rota/readme-e.html Good luck.

6. SomeDude says:

I believe there are rules to lossless rotation, the image has to be a certain size in pixels (divisible by 8 or some other number !NOT SURE!).

7. nez says:

It crashes immidiately on my Xp Pro – process id=0xb84 , thread id 0xbb0.

nezihi@hotmail.com

8. aBlogByGus says:

My next coding project is going to be a small app that monitors folders where you store your digital images in. Whenever it encounters a new image getting added it will rotate it appropriately. Lots of digital cameras nowadays, including…

9. aBlogByGus says:

10. aBlogByGus says:

Here’s the current list of available applications I’ve written that you are free to download and use. They’re currently linked over to entries on my work blog, but I’ll end up hosting everything here in the near future. RightSideUp: Application…

11. Paul Moore says:

Hi Gus,

I came across your site when looking at your RightSideUp application.

I have some novel .Net software which creates a GUI using API calls. I wondered if you would like a look at it. Let me know and I’ll send you a package. There’s a free license if you fill in a questionnaire about it.

Email: pjm@capability.freeserve.co.uk

12. Marcelo says:

May I download the source code? I tried to download but the link is broken. Thanks.

13. GusPerez says:

Marcelo, thanks, I’ve updated the link to the source.

14. Update (1/3/06): Find the latest info on RightSideUp on my main blog from now on.

I do not agree. Go to http://www.hotelsline.info/ilk_Spain/ordonnance_Comunidad%20Valenciana/ejaculate_Valencia_1.html