SQL Server 2008 installation dependency problems with Visual Studio 2008 SP1

While installing SQL Server 2008 on a 64bit machine with Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installed you may come across a dependency check error:

Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed.
A previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is installed on this computer. Upgrade Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to the SP1 before installing SQL Server 2008.

This error is documented on KB 956139, "Actions that are required before you install SQL Server 2008 on a computer that has Visual Studio 2008 or the prerelease version of SQL Server 2008 installed".

I had Visual Studio SP1 (version 9.0.30729.1 SP) properly installed on my machine, so why this message? Well, with a quick monitoring using Process Monitor I noticed that the setup process was looking for ServicePack information on the WoW64 registry key, that was outdated:

image
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0\IDE\1033

In order to fix it, you can update the SP and SPIndex entries to 1 and the SPName to SP1; just like the registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0\BSLN\1033:"

image

1. Pablo says:

Great !!! Thanks a lot for the tip saved me a lot of time 🙂

2. Jeffrey L. Whitledge says:

Thanks for this information! I had that same problem.

3. Ravi says:

you are the MAN. You saved my time. I was ready to un-install whole VS 2008 to fix this issue.

4. Nabani Silva says:

Thanks, it worked, at least at first but, during the "Installation Progress" step, it showed the exact same error when running:

Install_trin_aide_Cpu32_Action: CA_BlockOnVSSP0_x86.

The installation ended but it showed a Failed status for:

Integration Services

Management Tools – Complete

Business Intelligence Development Studio

Management Tools – Basic

This is a strange behavior because the same installation steps worked for a physical machine, the one with the issue is a virtual machine.

Any thoughts?

5. Rajan says:

I upgraded the Visual Basic 2008 with service pack 1, it installed successfully. Then I tried to install SQL 2008 Enterprise version onto Windows 7.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup and Windows 7 Professional Error

——————————

The following error has occurred:

Failed to open the registry key SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL10.MSSQL64MSSQLServerSuperSocketNetLib or set its security descriptor: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation..

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0&EvtType=OpenKeyOrSetDescFailed

——————————

Need help ???——————————

6. Ryan F says:

If you already had all the settings in the reg correct.. delete the VC folder.. it will be re-created with the incorrect settings. Then you can change them to the correct (1) settings and it will work.

7. Banderas says:

You're the best….thanks a lot, i solve my problem quickly.

8. M says:

Thank you so very much. I was at my wit's end till I came across your post

9. jam says:

thanks a lot……………… you  save my time…..

10. Mateen says:

Thanks a lot you rock save my time 🙂

Comments are closed.