The VSTS Rangers have shipped the TFS 2008 Management Pack for SCOM2007. It is also published in the official System Center Operations Manager 2007 Catalog on TechNet (choose “System Center Operations Manager 2007” from the dropdown list and enter “TFS” as keyword).
It takes out a new record for the longest name of a Microsoft download: Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server Management Pack for System Center Operations Management 2007 – English
The VSTS Rangers are a community of Microsoft field staff that are experts in VSTS. Their mission is to create re-usable solutions to aid adoption problems and influence future versions of VSTS based on lessons learned.
In the past, they’ve shipped other solutions such as:
- Project Server 2007 and VSTS Connector,
- VSTS Branching and Merging Best Practices,
- WCF Load Test Tool,
- TFS to TFS migration tool, and the
- TFS Operations Guide
This product is a significant improvement for monitoring and management of TFS 2008.
The Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2008 Management Pack monitors exposed services of TFS. This management pack includes event rules and monitors. It is designed to proactively monitor quality and availability of TFS services and even automate recovery in some scenarios.
- Auto discovery of TFS components
- Leverages ASP.NET MP and SQL MP
- Implements containment hierarchy reflecting logical architecture of the Product
- Implements a proper health model using Monitors
- Contains tasks, diagnostic and recovery for certain failures
- Events indicating service outages
- Alerts indicating configuration issues and connected data source changes
- Verification that all dependant services are running
- Targeted running of BPA against TFS Servers from Operator Console
- New monitoring capabilities can be easily added
I’m looking forward to hearing what people are doing with it. Please contact me with any feedback you have of this in your environment.