Recently I helped a customer who was having trouble creating a team project.
- They tried to create a project by name “Project1”
- It failed saying that it could not connect to Windows SharePoint Services (WSS)
- They fixed the permissions to sharepoint
- They can create a new team project by the name “Project2"
But, when they try to create a project by name ”Project1”, it failed with the following error:
TF30321: The name you typed is already used for another team project on the team foundation server. Type a unique name for the new team project.
In the past, I’ve seen this error if you don’t close the Project Creation Wizard dialog and try to use a name that you’ve just deleted using tfsdeleteproject.exe. But that wasn’t the problem in this case.
The usual fix to remove a partially created team project is to run:
tfsdeleteproject /force /server:http://tfs-server:8080 Project1
There are three ways to manually delete a WSS site:
- Browse to http://tfs-server/sites/Project1, choose Site Actions | Site Settings | Delete this sit
- Browse directly to http://tfs-server/sites/project1/_layouts/deleteweb.aspx
- Use stsadm.exe -o deleteweb -url http://tfs-server/sites/Project1 (See TechNet for more information)
Hope this helps!