Today, I’m thrilled to announce Microsoft Australia’s Windows 10 #UpgradeYourWorldAU community investment of US$500,000 cash, to be shared equally across ten nonprofits that are making a real difference to our local communities. We have selected the first five local nonprofits who will each receive a donation of US$50,000. We now want Australians to have their say, and help us to crowdsource the remaining five local nonprofits to receive a donation!
At Microsoft, we are committed to celebrating those who inspire others and make an impact in their community and around the world. Today’s Australian launch is part of the global Windows 10 #UpgradeYourWorld initiative, a year-long initiative that celebrates people and organisations doing great things, with a total global investment of US$10 million.
To nominate an Australian organisation, jump on social media, use the hashtags #UpgradeYourWorldAU and #Vote, plus tag your favourite nonprofit on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The global initiative kick started with nine global organisations: CARE, Code.org, Keep a Child Alive, Malala Fund, Pencils of Promise, Save the Children, Special Olympics, The Global Poverty Project and The Nature Conservancy. Asking for people to vote for the tenth, Microsoft today announced the winning organisation – from more than 2,000 nominations. We’re very pleased to welcome Beagle Freedom Project as the new global partner to join the program.
Our local nonprofits are making a positive difference in our community and we are pleased to partner with these organisations, helping them to empower others to make an impact in today’s world. Our first five local nonprofits selected are:
• Australian Business and Community Network (ABCN) partner schools with business, with a goal to improve opportunities and outcomes for disadvantaged students by raising aspirations and increasing awareness of the personal, educational and vocational choices available.
• Indigenous Digital Excellence Initiative (IDX) has been developed as a partnership between the National Centre for Indigenous Excellence and the Telstra Foundation, undertaking projects that strengthen Indigenous participation, practice and entrepreneurship in the digital economy.
• Infoxchange is a nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to strengthen communities using technology to create positive social change – helping more than 300,000 people get online and improve their quality of life.
• Social Traders works to break the cycle of disadvantage and build resilience in Australian communities through social enterprise. Social Traders is dedicated to raising awareness of social enterprise, building enterprise capability, and opening markets for social enterprises products and services.
• The Smith Family provides disadvantaged Australian children with tools and support to thrive at school – with this help extending to the child’s family and community with wrap-around support essential to breaking the cycle.
We want to turn inspiration into action. From now until the end of September, we will be crowdsourcing the next five organisations, and we need your help! To nominate an Australian organisation, jump on social media, use the hashtags #UpgradeYourWorldAU and #Vote, plus tag your favourite nonprofit on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
So, what are you waiting for? #UpgradeYourWorldAU!
For more information, please visit www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/upgradeyourworld