I just wanted to swiftly share some useful links if you choose to extend a Visual Basic 6.0 application including a new article I commissioned in the UK – which turned out rather good.
Firstly links to the toolkit download and some of the best existing articles.
- The Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 which you need to download
- Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 Tutorial on Code Project which includes an example of using a WPF control inside a Windows Form as part of a Visual Basic 6.0 application
- Using the Toolkit with Visual Foxpro – yep, you can use the toolkit with VFP9
- Using C# with the Interop Forms Toolkit and useful blog post from the team
Which leads me to the new article on using the Interop Forms Toolkit. This is a detailed, code heavy look at using the Interop Forms Toolkit which we are getting some great feedback on.
- Installation and setup
- Interop Forms
- Interop UserControls
- Sharing data between managed and unmanaged code
- And recommendations on using it
P.S. I must admit I have never liked the name of this kit as it doesn’t really describe what it does - IMHO. I therefore often describe it as
The Add VB.NET Forms and Controls to your VB6 Application Toolkit
However that does it a disservice. It is broader than that. How about
The Add VB.NET or C# Forms and Controls to your VB6 Application Toolkit
Or even more descriptively
The Add VB.NET or C# Forms and Controls to your VB6 or VFP9 Application Toolkit
The Add .NET Forms and Controls written in any .NET language to any COM based Application but it is much easier to use for VB6 and VB.NET Toolkit
Ok I give in, Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 it is 🙂