Troubleshooting failed push agent installs
There are several sources of troubleshooting information for determining the cause of a failed Windows Computer agent install from the Operations Manager UI.
1. Task output from the install. The error message(s) are displayed in the task output. Click on the target in the top panel to see the corresponding success or error message. Agent installs are console tasks. You can also see the messages under Monitoring \ Task Status in the Operations Manager UI.
2. Event log. Agent installs and uninstalls are logged to the Operations Manager event log, under the source of Health Service Modules. (Most common event IDs: 10602, 10616).
3. Agent install logs. Depending on how far the install process made it before failing, the agent push install logs are copied to Operations Manager 2007 install folder \ AgentManagement\AgentLogs folder on the Management Server you selected under the “Select Objects to Manage” panel in the discovery wizard. If the agent you are trying to install is not available to the Management Server, none of the logs would have been generated and you will need to review the tasks status and the event log on the management server.
There are 3 types of agent install logs:
a. <Agent NetBios name>AgentInstall.log – this is the MSI log from the agent.
b. <AgentNetBios name>AgentMgmt.log - this is the bootstrapper log (bootstrapper launches the MSI with the correct switches).
c. <AgentNetBios name>AgentPatch.log – this contains MSI logging for OpsMgr patches, such as OOMADS (for Active Directory).
4. ETL logs. Agent push is performed through the health service on the management server you have selected. You can use the TracingGuidsNative.etl log to further troubleshoot a failed install. Keep in mind that (1) this contains all of the native code health service activity (you will need to filter the log to find what you are looking for and (2) by default the trace level is ERR. I would recommend using a trace level of INF. A better approach may be to use traceconfig.exe in the Ops Manager install folder \ tools folder. There is an entry specifically for Push Agent Module that if selected will produce an etl trace file with only agent push messages.
Here’s how to get the trace information:
1. Before starting the agent push installs, open TraceConfig.exe from the Ops Manager install folder \ tools folder.
2. Select the “Push Agent Module” trace provider.
3. Select Tracel Level of Information.
4. Start the trace.
5. When the agent push completes, stop the trace.
6. From a command prompt, path to the Ops Manager install folder \ tools folder.
7. Run formattracing.cmd
8. When formattracing.cmd completes, it will popup Windows Explorer at the %windir%\temp\OpsMgrTrace folder. The formatted traceconfig output is in the OpsMgrCustom.log.