As promised in an earlier blog post of mine a System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) based Management Pack (MP) for TFS 2008 has been released to the public.
This MP enhances an enterprises’ ability to pro-actively manage our flagship product Team Foundation Server. It is published on the official MP download public site.
This is also announced in Brian Harry’s blog post.
This product is a significant improvement for monitoring and management of TFS 2008. Here is a brief summary:
Overview of TFS MP
The Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2008 Management Pack monitors exposed services of TFS. This management pack includes event rules and monitors. It is designed to proactively monitor quality and availability of TFS services and even automate recovery in some scenarios.
· Auto discovery of TFS components
· Leverages ASP.NET MP and SQL MP
· Implements containment hierarchy reflecting logical architecture of the Product
· Implements a proper health model using Monitors
· Contains tasks, diagnostic and recovery for certain failures
· Events indicating service outages
· Alerts indicating configuration issues and connected data source changes
· Verification that all dependant services are running
· Targeted running of BPA against TFS Servers from Operator Console
New monitoring capabilities can be easily added.
It is the #3 new download on home page of Microsoft Download Center, which keeps changing. So don’t expect to always see it at #3 position.
Customers who are familiar with MOM, can find this MP in the System Center Operations Manager 2007 Catalog on the official TechNet site.
If you decided to test search, choose “System Center Operations Manager 2007” from the dropdown list and enter “TFS” as keyword.