Take a .NET Beta Exam Today!

That’s right, we have extended the betas for 3 .NET exams so you have an opportunity to register for, and take the following:

Please note the following restrictions before attempting to sign up:

1) Not available in China, India or Pakistan
 2) There is no guarantee of a seat so register early.

1. 71-502 TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 – Windows Presentation Foundation

2. Extended through 1/24/08

3. Exam beta code – 502B1

4. Prep guide can be found here:  http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-502.mspx

ยท

1. 71-503 TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 – Windows Communication Foundation

2. Extended through 1/25/08

3. Exam beta code – 503B1

4. Prep guide can be found here:  http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-503.mspx

ยท

1. 71-504 TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 โ€“ Windows Workflow Foundation

2. Extended through 1/25/08

3. Exam beta code 504B1

4. Prep guide can be found here:  http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-504.mspx

Register for these exams by visiting,  http://www.register.prometric.com/ClientInformation.asp

1. SilverArc says:

Thanks for the info.  Just signed up for WPF and WCF.

2. rob_cert says:

Oh no. There goes the next 10 days of my life.

3. rob_cert says:

I hope there’s still enough interest in these exams to prevent any risk of you guys deciding not to go ahead with them?

Or is it a case of they go ahead regardless?

4. We have pretty much invested 90% of the cost of these exams at this stage which means they will likely go ahead regardless.

I think once the technologies get into the market, there be greater interest but at this stage, people are still relatively new to WPF and WF so the thought of an exam can be intimidating at this stage.

At least that’s what I’m clinging too.  ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Garry Trinder says:

Hey Gerry,

Are these available in Australia? Been trying to sign up for the beta but get "The exam you selected is not priced. Please select a new language or exam".

6. They should be.

Please ensure that you choose your language and a currency value.  For some, the currency selection is messing them up.

7. Iain Wade says:

Bronwen,

Maybe look under 71-50x.

I sat WCF beta in Melbourne and it was listed under 71-503 not 70-503 on the Prometric site.

Gerry,

Does this mean the results for the betas already sat will be delayed?

I’m about to finish up at my current position and knowing the result of my 70-503 may (fingers crossed) add a little more sparkle to my CV that I’m about to send out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers,

-Iain

8. Hi Iain,

Unfortunately it does mean that.  We can’t give results until the final item selection has taken place.

Once we have all the exams completed, we look at all the questions, fix or toss problem ones, set the passing score on the remaining items, score the beta candidates and send the results after that.

I wish we could speed the process up but it’s just not possible.  It is a PIA waiting for the results.  I have sat betas and experienced the same thing.

9. Iain says:

Thanks for the response Gerry, it’s really appreciated.

I’ll just have to stop checking the mailbox with such anticipation for a while. ๐Ÿ˜‰

-Iain

10. S.Y. Paul Lai says:

Any news about ASP.NET, ADO.NET and WinForm 3.5 exams?  Usually the beta invites come out just one day before the 2 weeks beta period starts.  I wanna prepare them before too late.  When will we have the prep guides?  When will the beta start?  Any plan now?

11. Michael says:

I had unsuccessful experience in passing beta exams 071-503 and 071-504 with Prometric (Region Test Center RU205).

Both times examination has come to the end ahead of schedule in somewhere 30 minutes from the beginning of examination without my desire. On these examinations it is taken away for 195 minutes and I did not expect that they compulsorily will end, when remains about two hours. I think, that it is system Prometric bug. For this time I have answered only less than 20 questions from 70. I am very disappointed, I have wasted time on preparation, testing.

Now these two examinations are in the status "tested" and I may not be registered on them again (Microsoft Retake Policy).

Regional test center cannot or may not help me. Gerry, can you help me?

Michael.

12. S.Y. Paul, can I just call you Paul?  ๐Ÿ™‚

At this point in time, the prep guides are almost complete for ASP.NET and ADO.NET.  I can’t offer anything until they are properly created and ready to go.  Sorry.

However, you can prepare by looking at previous prep guides for Web apps and the data portions.  For the new exams, add content on AJAX and client side scripting for ASP and LINQ and Entity for ADO.

As for the Winforms exam, it will be relatively close to 70-526 with the addition of content around UAC and the changes in Click-Once deployments primarily.

Gerry

13. Michael, I would love to help you out for sure.  Of course I will need a ton of information such as your candidate ID, times and dates etc.

None of it should be displayed here though and I hesitate to give my email where it can be scraped.

Please send me an email at gkcomput@hotmail.com so that I can get in touch with you directly through email.

14. Sven says:

Hi Gerry,

extended through 1/24

Does this mean the exam had to be taken before or on 24th of Jan ? Or is this only for registration ?

Never took a beta exam so kinda curious, but if I have to take it before 1/24 I won’t have enough time to prepare.

Greetings

15. This means that you can still register for and take the exam up to and including the 24th.

I try to ensure that the registration dates cut off 24 hours prior to the last run day but these were not created by me.

16. Garry Trinder says:

Hi Gerry,

Tried another pc and now get option to select currency, but seems that the dates haven’t been extended or all the places in Brisbane, Australia are taken?

17. Hi Bronwen.

It is entirely possible that at this time, there are no more openings in the centers in your area.

Call the Prometric number on the site and have them verify for you based on your location.  They will have access to all that information immediately.

18. S.Y. Paul Lai says:

Hi Gerry

Yes, you can just call me Paul.

For ASP.NET 3.5, besides MS AJAX, do I need to also prepare Silverlight (WPF/E)?

19. Hi Paul.

Because Silverlight is in two versions, 1.0 and the now 2.0 (formerly 1.1), we decided not to include Silverlight on this release of the exam.

We may seed new items at a later date as version 2.0 releases, but at this time, there is nothing Silverlight specific on the exam.

20. Michael says:

Gerry, I have sent email to you. You have received it?

21. S.Y. Paul Lai says:

Michael,

I wish it is really a bug in the Prometric system.  I have similar problem for my BizTalk 2006 beta.  The test centre admin gave me a phishing MS support email and told me I should use that email to report the problem.  I suspected that the test centre admins had placed their dirty hands on the exam data in some ways and that triggered the exam system to stop the exam abnormally.

Another test center I have used usually like to "fix" their Prometric/VUE servers when I am taking betas.  Sometimes, they need me wait 15 to 30 mins before I can start the exam.  Sometimes, when I’ve finished the exam, they need me wait 15 mins before they can print the report.

I don’t think the exam system is secure enough to protect the beta exam data.  Some test centers are suspicious, but we can do nothing.  I will try to avoid using those test centers, but sometimes I can only find a suitable schedule slot in the beta period from them.

22. The beta period for certification exams on the Orcas releases of the foundation technologies (WCF, WPF

23. Kishore says:

Hi All,

Are there any benefits of attempting beta exams rather than regular exams ?

I never attempted beta exams before.,so, I’m curious.

TIA

Kishore

24. Hi Kishore.

Taking a beta exam does have a couple of advantages.

1) It is free

2) You get to take the exam first and if you pass it, ot counts the same as the live exam so you can be certified prior to most

3) You get to see the potential items that will be on the live exam and if you fail the beta, you at least have an idea where you need to study for the live exam.

4) You get to influence the exam items with your feedback.

5) If you score high enough on the beta exam, you can be invited to Redmond to help with the item selection and standard setting for the exam.

25. Doug Hall says:

Hey Gerry,

I see you list the cut-off date for 71-502 as 1/24/08. Howerver, on the prometric site I can select up to and including 1/25/08 for the test date.  I’m not able to take the test tomorrow but would like to take it Friday 1/25.  Is there any chance that my test will be thrown out if I take it on 1/25?

Thanks,

Doug

26. Hi Doug.

The date was extended to 1/25 also so you can take it on Friday.

27. Kishore says:

28. SasiRaman says:

Any reason for not allowing the beta exam in india?

29. Kishore PTNVK says:

Please let us know why the above beta exams are not available in INDIA.

30. SasiRaman and Kishore, the decision to not allow the exams in beta for India are a result of past experience with issues around exam content and delivery in India.

India shares that distinct “honor” with China and Pakistan so although you cannot take beta exams, you are also not alone in that aspect.

31. Gary M says:

Gerry,

If the 70-502 exam is scheduled to be released late March then when do you expect the results of the Beta exam to be released?

32. Hi Gary.

The results should release around the same time.  We need to set the pass score before the results are published and this coincides with the release of the live version.

33. Gary M says:

The 71-502 was supposed to go live in Feb 2008. And, the beta results were supposed to be released in late march.  Do you have an updated time line for these events?

On a slightly different topic – You are now asking people to volunteer take more beta exams and you remark on the slow uptake.  I can tell you this about that – I personally hesitate to do so when it takes almost 4 months to get the results back.

34. Hi Gary.

Yes, the exam was supposed to go live in Feb. however, if we have low uptake, that means we have to extend the beta period to get the required number of exams taken to product valid data for analysis of the performance of the questions.  This is a requirement to help ensure relevant exams.

The results for 70-502 will be available around April 14.

When we release a beta exam, we anticipate that we will get the required number of candidates in the time we plan for initially.  Therefore the data is correct at that time.  We don’t know that we will extend the beta period until we are almost at the end of the current beta period.  That is when the extension decision is made.   This is why the results are late in begin released.

Beta exams are free for you to take, so I recommend taking advantage of that opportunity regardless of the waiting time for results.  If you prefer to wait for the live version so you can get your results instantly, that is of course your own decision and I fully support that direction as well.

Thanks

35. Gary M says:

Gerry,

I am not complaining about the exam being extended.  That part does not bother me in the least.

I understand that you have certain requirements that need to be met in order to make the exams.  And, I also understand that you can not always determine in advance what reception an exam will receive.

I am just venting (probably unduely) because the last date given (late march) has already come and gone… and I still had no idea when the results would be available.

36. Gary, please vent away.  That is one of the reasons I started this blog.  To allow our customers a forum to vent and to have others support it or offer advice.

It also helps me understand the pain points that our decisions create when we set up processes.

We should have communicated, here and in other ways, that as a result of the extensions, the results would be delayed.   So, it’s not a problem on your end, but ours.

Forgive us.

Gerry

37. The beta period for certification exams on the Orcas releases of the foundation technologies (WCF, WPF,