Recently Miguel did a post that made me smile. He talked about several libraries from Microsoft which were released under an OSS license and thus incorporated into the Mono tree and ship as part of Mono 2.8. I smiled for two reasons. One, I was happy to see that Microsoft is becoming more and more open with our development platform. Second, I was happy because MEF was on that list. 🙂
The full list is below:
- Managed Extensibility Framework, a framework to create extensible applications (blogged about their open sourcing).
- OData’s .NET client (System.Data.Services.Client), I blogged about this here.
- ASP.NET MVC both MVC1 and MVC2.
- Microsoft’s AJAX library for use with ASP.NET WebForms.
- Silverlight’s Controls, these are used by Moonlight.
I hope this is just the beginning!