We’re revving SCSF and WCSF for VS2008

image

My blog has been quiet the past few days as I’ve been busy working on user stories for the new Composite WPF (formerly WPF Composite Client). You’ll be hearing more about this in the coming weeks as we get more clarity, by here’s some good news:

1. We’re working on the next release of WCSF 2.0 which will ship on Visual Studio 2008! (Check Blaine’s blog for more information to follow on that release).

2. Even more goodness, we’re revving Smart Client Software Factory/CAB for VS2008! (Thanks James for reminding me)

We’re not changing the feature set or ripping open the box any more than we have to, though there will likely be updates to the Guidance Package in order to get it to work on 2008.

Our main driver is to provide a fully compatible version of SCSF and WCSF that customers can carry forward with .NET 3.5, and using the latest version of GAT/GAX.

Both WCSF and the latest rev of SCSF will be shipping sometime in February, look for them coming to a theater near you. Of course if you can’t wait, you can get started with VS2008 now by following this post for WCSF and these posts for SCSF.

Update: Due to delays in WCSF, SCSF will not be shipping in February. We’re looking now that the March timeframe.

1. Smart Client Software Factory for Visual Studio 2008 I've written in the past about Software Factories

2. msdnburns says:

What sort of issues do you expect we’ll encounter when migrating existing SCSF code over to the 2008 version?

3. P. Jenneskens says:

Will there also be a next release of the mobile client software factory for Visual Studio 2008 ?

4. C.Gonzales says:

I’d like to use the Mobile Client Software Factory. Will there be a release for .NET 3.5?

5. bwhit says:

Is there any knowledge out there of what the effects (i.e. any changes) will be of releasing this VS2008 version and that of the CAB-WPF project that exists at codeplex/scsfcontib?  I’d love to go with VS2008 and WPF…

6. Marcus says:

Is there a planned release date for this build yet ?

7. Hi @Marcus

Unfortunately no. We’re looking now at some time in March. WCSF should still be shipping in Feb.

8. Richo says:

Is there a planned release date for this build now?

9. Mir says:

Any update on the release date will be very much appreciated.

10. kebe says:

Can you give us any news on the SCSF for VS2008 release yet? Please inform us!

11. [Kebe] "Can you give us any news on the SCSF for VS2008 release yet? Please inform us!"

The following update was provided a few days ago in the SCSF discussion forum(http://www.codeplex.com/smartclient/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=24411):

Yesterday, I let slip on my blog Weird COM Exceptions in SCSF/CAB Unit Tests that work is being done on a port of SCSF to VS2008. I hope folks here find the info in the post helpful.

However, due to the volume of email this morning in my inbox about this, I figured I should clarify a few things here, at the source of SCSF news.

p&p is working in porting the existing CAB and SCSF to VS2008.

There will be no new feature work, just a direct port.

There is no set release date. When we get it finished it will be released.

We have the code mostly migrated, a few quirks in the recipes worked out (but not all of them) and a bit more work to go.

If forced to give a timeframe, I would measure the time until release in weeks rather than months.

Enjoy,

Michael Puleio – patterns & practices

Web – http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/

Blog – http://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio/

12. Just to set expectations, currently we are looking at towards the end of April. We don’t have a hard date though and this could change (though we don’t currently expect it to)

13. After many months of promising , the wait is over. Smart Client Software Factory for Visual Studio 2008