Platform Support for Coded UI Test (and Fast Forward feature of Test Runner)

Last updated on March 3rd 2011

The table below is summary of the current support for various platforms for Coded UI Test feature of VS 2010 and Fast Forward feature of Test Runner. We have shared this table earlier also but this is the latest version (as on March 3rd 2011). I will update this table to reflect latest status as appropriate.

Platform

Known issues & workarounds

Windows Win32

Known issues & Workarounds

MFC

Known issues & Workarounds

FireFox 3.5 and 3.6 – HTML/AJAX

Support released in Feature Pack 2.

Silverlight 4.0

Support released in Feature Pack 2.

Dynamics (Ax)

Partially supported – see article. Dynamics CRM web client is supported.

Citrix/Terminal Services

The client (MTLM or VS) need to be on remote machine

Office Client Apps

IE 6

Opportunity for partners to add this using the Extensibility support.  Docs and samples around extensibility are here.

Chrome/Opera/Safari

Flash/Java

SAP

Legends

Fully supported platform

Partial solution. Further work required in future to complete

Best efforts with known issues. Users can work-around these cases in the code. No major ongoing investment.

Currently no support but on the roadmap for future releases

Currently no support and none planned for now. Opportunity for partners to add this using the Extensibility support. Docs and samples around extensibility are here.

Based on various feedback, we are working on –

1. List of known issues and workarounds for all the platforms.
  2. Release Plan with dates for the platforms that will be supported in the future.

I will update this blog post as and when we have those ready.

1. NagarajB says:

Dear Gautam,

Thank you very much for the information.

Kindly let me know whether test runner/codedui test support the testing of com applications

and also testing the server applications using  test runner/codedui test  where we can send input packects and packets and see application is outputting as expected?

Thanks in Advance,

Nagaraj

2. The test runner & Coded UI Test works at the UI layer and agnostics to the technology below it.  If by COM, you mean VB6 controls then those are supported with the same known issues as MFC above.

I am not sure what you mean exactly by server applications here.  The Coded UI Test is supported for client-server application. In most cases the framework takes care of waiting for the server response (like simple HTML or AJAX etc response) but in some cases user might have to add sleep or his own custom logic to wait for the response.

Thanks.

3. Plans for Windows CE/Compact Framework? says:

Are there any plans to introduce support for Compact Framework applications running on Windows CE?

4. No plans for supporting Compact Framework in near future.

5. Sally A says:

We are working with a Siebel Public Sector application which runs on IE7.  Will I be able to create and run Coded UI test cases using TFS 2010 Ultimate Edition?

6. @Sally – Yes, IE7 is supported.  However for Coded UI Test, you will need Visual Studio 2010 either the Premium or Ultimate SKU.

Thanks.

7. Ketan says:

Hi Gautam,

Any idea if any one is working on developing support for Java apps-It would really be a big plus for this Automation infrastructure.

Thanks ,

Ketan

8. @Ketan – Thanks for the input.  Based on our priorities, Java support is not planned even in the upcoming release.

9. Pascal says:

Hi,

I was wondering if any future developments will allow VS 2010 Coded UI tests to support the MFC Feature Pack Controls.

I'm looking at using coded UI tests to test the Ribbons we use in our application. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

10. The Feature Pack is not well support.

11. Steve Harris says:

Hey Gautam, we have a growing number of customers who are using Safari and Chrome. Do you know if there are any plans to support Safari or Chrome in the near future? Thanks in advance for your help.

12. @steve – Yes, we are aware of the trend here.  However the support for Safari and Chrome is not in plans for near future.  As mentioned in the above table, the framework is extensibile for someone else to add support for this and we are working on simplifying the extensibility model further.

13. Tushar says:

Hi Gautam,

In response to a query above, about Siebel automation with VSTS, I see that  you have replied in affirmative.

I have a prospective client who is using QTP with Siebel add-in. The client already has VSTS 2010 Ultimate edition licenses. Can you kindly confirm if Siebel automation with VSTS Coded-UI is worth attempting? Do you any live references and known challenges to your knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Tushar

14. @Tushar – If Siebel is generating Web UI (HTMLAjaxJScript etc), I don't see any reason for it not to work.  Obviously you should do a proof of concept and try out as I don't have anymore data on this.

Thanks.

15. Tushar says:

Hi Gautam,

Thanks for the reply. I will see how we can drive this.

Regards,

Tushar

16. Dan says:

Hello Gautam!

First of all, thank you very much for this very informative and useful post and for keeping it updated.

I have a question for you regarding WPF controls.  It is marked in green above and there are no "known issues and workarounds" listed next to it.  This does not seem strictly accurate to me, as there does seem to be known issues and workarounds for WPF regarding the record-and-playback tools.  The following blog post describes the issue and a workaround.

blogs.msdn.com/…/decoding-the-coded-ui-test-playback-failure-quot-search-may-have-failed-at-controlx-as-it-may-have-virtualized-children-quot.aspx

Do you know if there is a plan for fixing this issue in future releases?  If not, shouldn't the above blog post be linked as a "Known issue and workaround"?

Thanks very much!

17. Steve says:

Hello. Does Coded UI support Infragistics? The application that I am testing is developed in Netadvantage 10.3. I am having some issues with the tool recognizing all the objects.

Thanks,

Steve

18. @steve – Not yet.  We started on this but then it got stalled after the alpha release.  We are working with Infragistics to see how we can complete this but there is no firm plan as yet.

19. Steve says:

@Gautam, thanks for the reply. Is there a list of others who have expressed this interest that you can notify when something is available?

20. Hassan Fadili says:

Idd. I have while ago requested this support need by Infragistics and DevExpress  as well, but still waiting. This is à  blocking issue for some of my customers that uses these components to adopt Coded UI test wich is great.

Hopefuly that is Will change soon.

Hassan

21. Chan says:

Hello. I have a similar issue with Tushar. I have tried to use CUIT Builder on Siebel objects, it doesn't seem to recognize them. As I understand, Siebel uses custom ActiveX controls. Do you have any suggestions on how to get CUIT to work with Siebel? Thanks!

22. @Steve – I will update this post.  So just subscribing to this post is good enough.

23. @Chan – Send me mail using "Email Blog Author" link at the top and I will try to loop in some folks who may be able to help.

24. Yohance says:

Hello Gautam,

Just checking in to see if assertions of MS word documents text are supported in coded UI Test? And if not, is there a work around? I’m trying to assert some particular text within a MS word doc, but so far, no success. I’m using MS Word 2010.

Thanks

25. Dan Brubaker says:

Is there a wrapper for Selenium from codedui for Google Chrome support?

26. @Dan – None that I am aware of today.

27. Nika says:

Thank you for the above information. It is very userful. I am using IE 9 [32 bit version] for coded UI scripts [Identifying objects in IE 9 and playback in IE9] , so far it is good. I wanted to try using same set of scripts for multiple browsers. From the above table and discussions, Chrome and Safari are not supported. Above table states FF 3.5/3.6 are supported with feature pack 2. Is there any plan to support Firefox 8? Does installing feature pack 2, will work only for FF 3.5/3.6 and not for FF 8?

Thanks.

28. @Nika – Installing Feature Pack 2, will work only for FF 3.5/3.6. Coded UI Test support for latest versions of Chrome/Firefox/Safari is on the top of our backlog.  We will update as soon as we have something to share here.