When upgrading the Team Foundation Server 2008 Evaluation version to a production “live” server, there is a need to enter the product key. Because the volume license media included in MSDN AA is pre-PID’d (i.e. embedded in the media itself), finding the product key is a bit involved.
- Download the Team Foundation Server volume licensing bits from MSDN AA.
- Open up the ‘AT’ directory
- Use notepad to open the setup.sdb file and search for “product key”in that file
- The next line is the product key
- Customers migrating from Team Foundation Server Trial Edition should follow the migration guidance described here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404852.aspx. Customers migrating from Team Foundation Server Workgroup Edition should follow the guidance described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404848.aspx.
Alternatively, MSDN AA Administrators can also call Product Support to get the keys.