Dual Core Vs Dual Processor Vs Hyper Threading

As we start talking of high performance computing, 64-bit platform offerings etc. some of the buzz words that come into play are dual processor, dual core and Hyper Threading. I thought it would be a good idea to find and write about what these technologies are all about, who fares where and what is the best.

While the Dual-core systems refers to having a CPU that includes two complete execution cores per physical processor, a Dual-processor (DP) systems is one which contains two separate physical computer processors on the same chassis. Unlike dual processors systems where the two procs can be located on the same motherboard and at times on separate boards, in Dual Core, one integrated circuit contains two complete computer processors. In the Dual core systems, there is a combined cache and the controller between the two processors, it is independent in dual processor systems. The Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controllers (APIC) in both these cases are separate for each processor, providing multi processor interrupt management.

Hyper Threading (HT) technology was developed by Intel and is somewhere midway between the above two. In HT enabled systems, the circuitry enables one physical processor to appear as two logical processors. This enables a separate APIC for each logical processor while maintaining a single cache.

As they say a picture speak louder than a thousand words, here is the picture of what I described above.

I would more about these, there pros and cons etc. in some of my next blogs.

1. Name is required says:

The AMD dual-core processors have separate L2 cache unlike the pic you included.

2. pic says:

Intel’s 800 and 900 series also have separate L2 Cache. But they were made into one in the Core and Core 2 processors.

3. jp says:

hey, i think ht is way better than dualcore, because i have a ht and it works really fast on media editing , creating programs, and dual core gets stuck to many times. I think HT is the best so far. HT isn’t that famous because none needs that much power for a pc. however , dualcore is known because it is cheap. HT is expensive for some reason, don’t you think?

4. duh says:

the pro-HT comment someone posted was the stupidest thing i’ve read today 😀 intel’s HT implementation is terrible, which is why theyve even dropped it off current xeons

5. marvin says:

set..ready…goo:QUADCORE baby!!!!and soon OCTACORE….HYPER WHAT?????

6. Gopal ji Singh says:

Hi,

this is really good. Keep it up.

7. Howard says:

Both my Sony VAIO and HP Pavilion have HT and they both work hugely fast. One at 2.8 and the other at 3.0.

I have nothing else to compare it to other than frinds computers I’ve tried with a DC with around the same speed and RAM. Programs like SONAR and Soundforge zip along like nothing I’ve ever used before.

Not much of a comparison but definitely no complaints : )

8. zeyaad says:

im using a intel 3.06ghz HT cpu n i find it performs more better a intel D 2.0ghz cpu not only the stability but aswell as the core temp b much lower, and for the price range its not bad:)

9. glenn says:

lol, I have 8 core playstation 3 and it whips my celeron 533 into submission. I have Hyper-Thermia. I dont think the Hyper Thermia helps much but it improves with a dual core electric bar fire.

Comments are closed.