Recently Microsoft has release the much awaited SP2 for SQL Server 2005. Guys go and grab it – it has bug fixes and most importantly lot of performance gains in addition to support for Vardecimal
Read the “What's New in SQL Server 2005 SP2” and please don’t forget to test the SP2 on test / staging environment before applying it to production.
Warning - Once SQL Server 2005 SP2 has been applied, it cannot be removed without uninstalling the entire product.
Do refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/archive/2007/02/24/Maintenance-Plan-Changes-in-SQL-Server-2005-SP2.aspx for some of the stuff related to SQL Server 2005 maintenance plans and SP2.
Some of the other goodies:
· SQL Server 2005 Best Practices Analyzer (February 2007 CTP) –
Also recently Microsoft released first cut of another goody - SQL Server 2005 Best Practices Analyzer.
Refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/archive/2007/01/12/SP2-and-BPA-FAQ.aspx for BPA FAQ and more information on http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/archive/2006/09/07/743792.aspx
· Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services Service Pack 2
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Toolkit Service Pack 2
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express Service Pack 2
· Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - February 2007
· SQL Server 2005 Books Online (February 2007)
· SQL Server 2005 Samples and Sample Databases (February 2007)
· Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-in for Microsoft SharePoint Technologies
It allows you to take advantage of SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (SP2) report processing and management capabilities within Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 or Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
· Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Data Mining Add-ins for Microsoft Office 2007
It allows you take advantage of SQL Server 2005 predictive analytics in Office Excel 2007 and Office Visio 2007
Also check some old stuff –which sometime I get asked for:
· SQL Server 2005 System Views Map
· Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor
· SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide
· AdventureWorks OLTP Database Diagram