The Azure Services Platform is designed to help developers quickly and easily create, deploy, manage, and distribute web services and applications on the Internet. Windows Azure is an operating system for the cloud that serves as the development, run-time, and control environment for the Azure Services Platform. Windows Azure provides developers on-demand compute & storage to host, scale, and manage web applications on the internet through Microsoft data centers. Windows Azure is elastic, flexible, and interoperable. With Windows Azure developers can achieve high levels of service availability and application interoperability while maintaining freedom of choice.
Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio .extend Visual Studio to enable the creation, building, debugging, running and packaging of scalable services on Windows Azure.
New for the January 2009 CTP:
- Addressed top customer bugs.
- Resolved hang and performance issues on run and debug.
- Fixed issue with "Publish" of large projects.
- Added support to debug Silverlight in a Web Role.
- Better storage services integration
- Error messages when there are Service Configuration or Service Definition errors
Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio includes:
- C# and VB Project templates for building Cloud Services
- Integration with the Development Fabric and Development Storage services
- Debugging Cloud Service Roles running in the Development Fabric
- Building and packaging of Cloud Service Packages
- Browsing to the Azure Services Developer Portal
- Role configuration
- SSL Certificate selection
The Windows Azure SDK provides developers with the tools and APIs needed to develop, deploy, and manage scalable services in Windows Azure.