I get asked this one a lot, and thought I had blogged it but it looks like I didn’t. The general user scenario is where you have a parent site (http://myserver) that contains a list of information that is relevant to a bunch of subsites (http://myserver/subsite) and you want to display the data from the parent inside the children.
- Open this subsite in FrontPage
- Browse to http://myserver/subsite/default.aspx and click File > Edit in Microsoft FrontPage, or
- Launch FrontPage and click File > Open Site and type in this URL
- Open the default.aspx page if it isn’t open already
- Data..Insert Data View (this should launch the Data Source Catalog)
- At the bottom of the Catalog, expand “XML Web Services”
- Click “Add to catalog”
- Type in this URL: http://myserver/_vti_bin/lists.asmx
- Click “Connect now”
- In the “Operation” drop-down, change the value to “GetListItems” method
- Change the listName property to “Announcements” (without the quotes)
- Click OK
- Right click this data source and choose “Show Data” (should launch the Data View Details taskpane)
- Select the fields you want to display
- Place the Cursor in the page where you want to insert the Data View
- Click “Insert Data View” from the taskpane
- From the Data..Style menu, you can control the appearance, paging, toolbars, etc.
- From the Data..Filter menu, you can add a filter for the data source
- From the Data..Web Part Properties dialog, you can control the web part chrome
- Select the title data value
- Insert > Hyperlink
- Create a hyperlink to the editform.aspx page
- Click on Parameters
- Add a parameter to the URL for the List ID number
- OK back to the page
That should allow you to click on the Title and edit that specific list item
All of the functionality is there, it’s just a matter of knowing how to add it.
I made these steps very long to be careful, but it really is quite easy.
Let me know if any of this needs further clarification.