The One About the Outback Steakhouse

I've been meaning to post this story for a while.

image

There is a restaurant chain here called the Outback Steakhouse

Outback Steakhouse is an Australian steakhouse restaurant. Although beef and steak items make up a good portion of the menu, the concept offers a variety of chicken, ribs, seafood, and pasta dishes. The Company’s strategy is to differentiate its restaurants by emphasizing consistently high-quality food and service, generous portions at moderate prices and a casual atmosphere suggestive of the Australian Outback.

An Australian steakhouse? Like Vlado's in Melbourne? Like The Charcoal in Canberra?

The kids were intrigued, so I took my 2 big boys there one evening.

We went to the one near our house and the first thing we noticed when we walked in the door was the music - Country, but not Australian country music. There was no James Blundell, Adam Brand, Troy Cassar-Daley, Kasey Chambers, Smoky Dawson, Slim Dusty, Jimmy Little, Gina Jeffries, Lee Kernaghan, Chad Morgan, Reg Lindsay, Keith Urban, or John Williamson just to name a few.

The place was decked out in 'Australian' memorabilia - including Sidney Nolan's Ned Kelly

nedkelly

We looked at the menu and were amused by the dishes, as well as the Aussie Autumn special. At least they didn't call it the Fall (oh wait, they did).

image

The waitress took our order

While we waited, I took photos of the coasters

bad splr - outback steakhouse I'm so hungry I could eat a cow - outback steakhouse No worries - outback steakhouse

The food came and it was far from memorable. I don't remember what we had but suffice to say it wasn't that great.

It is far from an Australian Steakhouse, and I should know. I've been to a few 🙂

1. JFo says:

If you’re in need of real Australian food in Seattle:

Australian Pie Shop

Simply Australian (they’re really nice people!)

And you can get Violet Crumble from QFC. Don’t buy any Cadbury if it says it’s made in Hershey, PA (cause that’s not the same flavour).  British Pantry in Redmond has the real one, and things like Aero bars too.

Sometimes Cost Plus World Imports (there’s one out the back of Redmond Town Center and one in downtown Seattle) has TimTams and imported Cadbury and Ginger Beer.

Oh and finally the bread tastes different because it has corn syrup in it.  Try the fresh stuff in the front that has real ingredients in it.

2. Bill McCarthy says:

Do they still have those silly over sized knifes ?  I think you’re meant to do a crocodile dundee and say "you call that a kinife?" ….

Went there *once*, worst steak I’ve ever had in the USA !

3. Gary says:

I went to a similar sort of thing in Tokyo called "Outback Grill" – picture at http://g2007.com/blog/gary/archives/2005/05/i-heart-tokyo/

The link to Australia is a bit similar to your experience in USA.

4. Pete Calvert says:

I went to one in Florida earlier this year when TechEd was on. Funniest thing on the menu was the dessert "Chocolate Thunder from Down Under". The staff didn’t know what "Chocolate Thunder" means to real Australians. I let them in on the joke. I couldn’t bring myself to actually order some though!

5. My favourite part of going to that place in America is when they correct me on my pronounciation.  can-BEAR-ah, brise-BANE, mel-BOOORN, … sigh.

I second the recommendation for the pie shop in Seattle.  I’ll get a dozen pies, they package them in dry ice for me, and I bring them home with me to California.

6. RC says:

LOL.  I wouldn’t take it to heart.  It’s just a chain with a random theme.  People eat there if they like what they get there, rather than for its "authentic" Australian cuisine or atmosphere.  I don’t like Taco Bell personally, but the point of the place is if you like Taco Bell food, not authentic Mexican food.  If you wanted that, you’d go someplace else.

Did you try the Bloomin’ Onion?  It’s probably what most people think of when they think of Outback Steakhouse.

7. Rebecca Jacobs says:

They actually have a Outback Steakhouse in Sydney (Strathfield to be exact) I couldn’t believe it so i had to try it out. PLUS my hubby is from the US and was feeling homesick. Some highlights… the Bloomin Onion, Alice Springs Chicken… ARGH!

Comments are closed.