SubSonic is a toolset that helps a website build itself. At it's core it's:
- A Data Access Layer (DAL) builder that requires no code on your part, it builds itself at compile-time with a full object layer and strongly-typed collections
- A complete utility toolset, complete with Rails-like scaffolding, migrations (DB Versioning), and code generators
- A dynamic query tool, that lets you use SQL Server and the Enterprise Library without having to know SQL
- An OR Mapper that extends to views and stored procedures so you're not locked into the OR/M thing
What SubSonic does for you:
- Trim hours from your DEV cycle. This not only happens because the code is generated for you initially, but it's also maintained by SubSonic whenever you change your database.
- Gives you the option to go full-tilt OR/M, or use SPs/Views. We don't want to tell you what to do, you already know best. We just want to help.
- Help your application build itself. With our generators (class, scaffold, and batch-class) your site can build itself in no time. The scaffolding will help you work with your data quickly.
- A solid foundation from which to extend. Our starter site comes pre-wired with ASP.NET membership built in, AJAX, full 3-column elastic XHTML theme, and user administration pages from which you can administer your site's membership. That's at least a week's worth of work - already done!
- Get your project from idea to prototype in a fraction of the time. That's the strength of this project - using our starter kit you can have a sharp prototype up and running in the merest fraction of what it used to take.
See more here: http://www.wekeroad.com/actionpackintro.html
This is one of the more popular projects over at Codeplex. Here's the top 10
- AJAX Control Toolkit
- patterns & practices - Smart Client Guidance
- SubSonic: All your database are belong to us
- .NET Reflector Add-Ins
- SharpMap - OpenSource Map Engine for .NET 2.0
- patterns & practices - Web Client Software Factory
- patterns & practices – Enterprise Library
- XML Notepad