I recently bought a Dell, so how do I get a Vista Upgrade ?

I got a question this week via email about a fellow who recently bought a Dell notebook (last month) and it shipped with XP and he was told Dell isn't offering Vista upgrades in Australia and the Microsoft Upgrade Guarantee site says that OEM isn’t eligible. He wanted to know what the story was.

So, I went to our friendly OEM team to find out what the deal is

I found out that Dell initially launched Vista upgrades only on their consumer lines (Dimension & Inspiron). But they have just extended this to Optiplex, Latitude and Precision lines of business and will honour for any system purchased after October 26th.

Redemption Process

• Available 10/26 – through OEM Launch
  • Must be a Vista Capable System
  • Customer must register on upgrade site by 15th March 2007
  • Customer can only register upon receiving system
  • Customer must have the following information available to register:
    • COA Number (14 digits)
    • Service Tag
    • Credit Card number with a valid expiration date (valid through March 31st, 2007)
  • Reminder: Customer will not receive express upgrade kit without registration on www.dellvistaupgrade.com
  • Express upgrade kit will only start shipping to customers in Feb 2007
  • Customer credit card will only be charged upon shipping of the express upgrade kit.

So, that's the story

Technorati tags:

[ Current Listening to : Beautiful Day by U2 from 18 Singles [Bonus Track] ]

1. Will Dell Oz provide the upgrades for just the price of shipping?

2. frankarr says:

AP – it depends.

i think you will pay extra if you want ultimate

3. I think it sucks that Dell/MS charge you anything. I have been holding off buying a new PC till vista is Released and I am going to keep waiting! (still dreaming that maybe I might get a free Acer with Vista).

Molly

4. Alpesh Nakar says:

Nice One Frank.

Actually, I bought a Dell Laptop in September. I am not worried about the upgrade.

I bought the laptop only after I was assured it was VISTA Ready 🙂

I just installed VISTA Ultimate yesterday and I was floored! I did not ‘invest’ in dedicated video, but this beauty of laptop and Vista – AERO just rock!

Cheers!

Alpesh

5. I installed RC1 on my Inspiron 6400, and now have the RTM – It works beautifully…

6. Daniel Somerville says:

I put in my order last week after Frank gave me the details.  Here’s some more info not given in the original post:

– You can’t choose the Vista edition, it’s based on the XP edition that came with the laptop.

– You only pay for shipping, which is $35 (USD I guess, my card hasn’t been billed yet).

– At the end of the process, the upgrade site advises it could be as late as April before your order ships.  Given that it’s probably based on your position in the queue, get in fast for early delivery!

7. Anonymous says:

TaDa!, top 20 posts for January 2007 . Old posts continue to be popular. My Elfamorphosis Windows Vista

8. Anonymous says:

I got a question this week via email about a fellow who recently bought a Dell notebook (last month) and it shipped with XP and he was told Dell isn’t offering Vista upgrades in Australia and the Microsoft Upgrade Guarantee site says that OEM isn’t eligible

9. Anonymous says: