Windows Live Local – now with Aussie Maps

The WLL dev team have pushed out a big update with lots of new features. The one feature that *I* like is the fact that there is *finally* Australian street data

Here's a quick screen grab with some of my important places

Time to go back to Via Virtual Earth and do some reading on how to get started and I better go to the Virtual Earh blog for more info too

Let the mash ups begin!!

[ Currently Playing : Show Me Your Love (Ukraine) - Tina Karol - Eurovision Song Contest-Athens 2006 (02:55) ]

1. Dean Harding says:

Funny that this happens about 4 days after Google maps does the same thing… though Google has street names for ALL streets, and much better sattelite data.

2. frankarr says:

dean

i reckon it’s hilarious

and did you know that the map data for both services is from the *SAME* provider – http://www.mapds.com.au/

3. Anonymous says:

We just rolled out our new version of Windows Live Local "Discovery" release. Here is a quick run down…

4. Andrew Dugdell says:

Hey Frank, did you see the "Windows Live Local Add-in for Microsoft Office Outlook (Beta)" – http://shrinkster.com/fd8

5. frankarr says:

yes duggie – i saw the outlook addin. its cool

6. David says:

I am amazed – I have never seen St Ives written as "Saint Ives" before!!!

7. Michael says:

Live Local’s maps doesn’t show the street where I live yet, and only the main road in my university campus.  Google Maps shows every street in my area.

On the satelite view, I zoomed in as close as I could get on my house and university in both Google and Live Local.  On Live Local, both were shown on the same screen (in fact just a couple of cms apart), while on Google’s service I was able to zoom in 5 steps closer.

The Google one is pretty old – a new shopping centre was built near my place a few years ago, but it’s still under construction in Google’s satelite images.  I can’t tell how old the images on Live Local are though, because the site where that Shopping Centre is now is just a few pixels.

Looking at where I am in Germany at the moment, the satelite situation is similar to back home in Australia, however the maps are slightly better in Live Local than Google Maps, although they’ve both pretty much got everything covered.

A couple of other complaints about Live Local: they only show distances in yards / miles, what’s up with that?  And they seem to have forgotten that the Earth is round, ie Australia is on the far right and America on the far left and it doesn’t just wrap around like it does in Google Maps which can be very annoying sometimes, especially since they both default to showing America when you first visit the sites and I’m used to crossing the Pacific to look at Australia with Google Maps.

They do have some other things that I like better than Google’s service at the moment though, but overall they’ve still got a lot of catching up to do.

8. Anonymous says:

Ok, my call for

apps and collections generated a lot of comments with people pointing out

errors…

9. Anonymous says:

I’ve been using Blogbeat for a while

now, to

give me some insights into my

blog stats.

It’s…

10. Anonymous says:

Had a quick look on BlogBeat to see my top

20 posts from last month.

Really surprising to…