Good Day All!
We are back with the Wednesday's Featured Forums where we write about a Microsoft forum that we think is great. Today we will be looking at .NET Framework Forum.
Let's learn first what is .NET Framework? .NET Framework created by Microsoft which is a collection of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and a shared library of code that developer's can call when developing applications, so that they don’t have to write the code from scratch. It is a layer between the operating system and the programming language that supports many languages like C#, VB.NET, C++ and F# etc. The first version of the .Net framework was released in the year 2002 and was called .Net framework 1.0. Since then .Net framework has come a long way.
In the .NET Framework, the library of shared code is named the Framework Class Library (FCL). The bits of code in the shared library can perform all kinds of different functions. Say, for example, a developer needed to display a string to the computer monitor. Instead of writing that code themselves, and then writing all the little bits and pieces that have to interpret what string is and how to display, they can use code from the library (Console.WriteLine();) that performs that function.
Let's learn some more about .NET Framework:
- Previously .NET Framework was only for windows users now Thanks to .NET Core, a set of tools consisting of the runtime, library and compiler components, you can create apps that run on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- Several parts of .NET were made available under open source licenses, meaning any developer can contribute to it. For example, the C# compiler Roslyn was made open source by Microsoft under the Apache License. The source code of Roslyn can be downloaded from GitHub, and guidelines on how to participate and contribute were made available.
- .NET has a huge collection of predefined class libraries (pre-written code) that has support for simple and complex data structures. Essentially, that means you can rely on the work of hundreds of other developers and pull in already-written code into your own programs. .NET even has specific libraries for security, encryption, and database access.
This is one of the most widely used MSDN forum and it contains Question and Answer related to programming languages:
- Visual C#
- Visual Basic
- .NET Framework Class Libraries
- Common Language Runtime Internals and Architecture
Among these let's look into one of the sub forum which is Visual C# forum contains 108425 pages and Visual Basic forum contains 85781 pages of questions and answers which is big! More information about Visual C# forum can be found in this featured post Wednesday Featured Forums: Visual Studio Languages Forum.
Now that we have a brief overview let's move to the .NET Framework Forums. To access the forums you can click on the link below:
That is all for now and see you on the next one. Good Luck!