Access Denied with Windows Server 2008 and MOSS when Crawling

So i created a new vm using Windows Server 2008, SharePoint Server 2007 + SP1 + Infrastructure updates.  I'm also using a least priveleged account setup with least priveleged accounts running the individual MOSS Services and app pools.  When I started a crawl of local office sharepoint server sites i noticed i was getting 401'ed by SiteData.asmx.

If you receive an warning in your event log with event id 2436 - "Access is denied. Check that the Default Content Access Account has access to this content, or add a crawl rule to crawl this content.   (0x80041205)".

or this one in your crawl logs

Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled. (The item was deleted because it was either not found or the crawler was denied access to it.)

After a day of banging my head against my desk i figured out that Loopback check needed to be disabled.  Interesting that IIS 7 isn't mentioned in the KB.  Here's the Disabling the Loopback Check KB.

1. Matthew Chestnut says:

Thank you so much for this timely post!

I ran into this exact issue after switching to using host headers in my MOSS farm (SP1, Infrastructure Updates, August Cumulative Updates).

All was fine while I used different ports for the web sites, but as soon as I configured the farm with host headers, I kept getting the errors mentioned above.

Thanks again!

2. Jason M says:

Dude, thanks!  3 days of looking for an answer and this was it!

3. There is one more issue you will probably encounter (and I think this will apply to any version of SharePoint

4. Andy Ball says:

love your work , hair is growing back now, although i have a bit of a bald patch because of this

5. Richard Threlkeld says:

I’ve just spent a couple of days looking for this problem. Unfortunately, this solution does not seem to help. I love the new Sharepoint 2007, but this one element is killing me.

Any other ideas? I’ve created a new logon and attached it to the search service so I could give it a variety of groups, but none appear to help.

Richard

6. Richard Threlkeld says:

Never mind. I finally got it working. Went to the Central Administration site, Operations, Services on Servers. Set it to ALL Services, then clicked on the Search Server. Set the parameters correctly for my new ID. First time it failed because I had added the intrinsic Administrator. I went back and removed all the administrator groups from the ID, then updated it again. It took and everything was wonderful.

7. Kipp says:

Did you apply this change to all WFEs or just the indexing server?

8. shawnfel says:

i would think that all wfe servers need this update if they are being crawled.  Personally i only ran a single server setup.

9. Alex says:

Great job, shawnfel! Thanks a lot – we were pulling our hair for 3 days now. Don’t know how you figured that out but that was right on target – didn’t even require any other action like search service restart or anything else. The search just picked up after the registry change has been made.

10. René says:

Thanks, Shawnfel!

Works like a charm.

Finally we have an index to search …

Keep up the good work!

11. Patrick says:

Thank you for the posting.  Method 1 worked for me!

12. Daniel says:

OMG thank you, its been driving me nuts, i was soon going to start rebuilding things! Dam reg entry, would have never found it!

13. Search Server 2008 shows this error for a SharePoint Site (Windows SharePoint Services 3 SP2):

I solved it by adding the crawler account to: Central Administration > Application Management > Policy for Web Application. Permissions: Full Read.

14. Rupinder Kaur Virdi says:

It has been a couple of weeks since the date this new Intranet was supposed to go live where I work but due to lack of SharePoint skills we cant seem to work out why the error below keeps appearing.

The structure of the new farm is 2 servers one running index and central admin and the other for the web front end. We also have another intranet which was installed as as stand alone. We eventually want to move our current Intranet on to this new farm.

The problem is following error for the particular Intranet site the other web applications such as central admin is being crawlled.

I have checked the policy for web application this is fine. I have logged in with the content access account and this works. I have tried adding the username as username@domain.local. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

My Error:

15. shawnfel says:

@Rupinder Kaur Virdi

Are you crawling FQDN’s? For example http://myhost.mydomain.com. This will require you to setup your domain as part of the intranet zone in IE.  By default the crawler does not know how to login to the internet zone via windows credentials.

16. Tom McNulty says:

A big thank you!!!! Search Apps are up

17. Kalashnikov says:

Hey,

This article might help to troubleshoot your issue..

kalashnikovtechnoblogs.blogspot.in/…/troubleshooting-crawl-issues-for-ssl.html