Why “Package Load error 0xC0010014 in CPackage::LoadFromXML” error appears while trying to run an SSIS Package ?

As you know an SSIS package is an XML content regardless if you're storing your SSIS package in file system (as a .dtsx file) or storing your SSIS package in MSDB (then your XML content inserted into sysdtspackages or sysdtspackages90 tables in MSDB)

Of course this XML content has its own schema and the SSIS Runtime and BIDS (Business Intelligence Development Studio) needs to parse the content of the XML.

"Package Load error 0xC0010014 in CPackage::LoadFromXML" error message is a generic error message when SSIS Runtime tried to parse the package. There could be various reasons for you to get this error message. But all of them refers to something wrong in your SSIS XML content.

The first thing that I will suggest you to overcome this issue will be minimizing the package step-by-step. I would suggest starting to remove the 3rd party components in the first hand.

Here's a story about this...

One of our customers had experienced this issue. The environment was SQL Server 2008 x64 on a Win2k8 R2 x64 platform. The very first thing that I noticed was a 3rd party connection manager. It was a connection manager helping customer to connect to Oracle. Though we have the needed components coming as out-of-box in SSIS to connect Oracle, customer was preferring this 3rd party connection manager.

The thing that I noticed was the 3rd party connection manager was 32bit though the environment is 64bit. As the BIDS works as 32bit and recognizes 32bit connection manager easily, they would design their packages but it was failing when they tried to run. The problem here was simple their SSIS project was trying to run the package as 64bit which is by default for a 64bit OS. As the 64bit SSIS runtime cannot see 32bit components (including this 3rd party connection manager), it was failing with this CPackage:LoadXML error. This type of cryptic error message is very normal as this is a 3rd party component and the SSIS runtime does not aware of those components there in your package.

The solution for this scenario was asking customer change the debug option "Run64BitRuntime" from True to False as shown in the screenshot below :

With this "Run64BitRuntime=False" setting, all works as in 32bit mode.

Another possibility for this error to be appear could be using different DateTime values than the current OS regional settings have. Let's say your current OS shows the datetime as 12/24/2010 but the value in your SSIS package is "24.12.2010" which is a wrong value. Again, to be sure that if that's the reason you can snip out your SSIS datetime values just for testing purposes.

1. Travis says:

Had exactly this issue with the Oracle Attunity SSIS connector.  Thanks for posting this.

2. Faruk Celik says:

Happy to hear that it helped Travis 🙂

3. Abhilash says:

I faced the similar issue at my work. This what happened. I am running my package located on a server through a batch file. i got the same error as above

Could not load package "G:WHSL_SSISETLWHSL_REPORT_GENERIC.dtsx" because of error 0xC0010014.

Description: The package failed to load due to error 0xC0010014 "One or more error occurred. There should be more specific errors preceding this one that explains the details of the errors. This message is used as a return value from functions that encounter errors.". This occurs when CPackage::LoadFromXML fails.

But all I did was to change the batch file. Because earlier the Microsoft SQL Server is installed under below location C:Program Files (x86), and my batch file is pointing this, but now it is installed in the following location C:Program Files. After changing the batch file to point to correct location my package worked fine.

4. Max says:

Nice post. Unfortunately, this error can also be caused by trying to deploy a package created on a newer-than-deployment-environment version of Visual Studio. Specifically, I have taken a SSIS 2005 package, opened it in VS 2010, and it refuses to deploy back to integration services on SQL Server 2005.

5. Venkatesh says:

Exact same issue. Very helpful.

The user had recently lease rolled desktop and had not installed all the software yet. Installed attunity driver on the desktop experienceing the issue. It opened successfully after the installation of attunity driver.

Thanks

6. Bernie says:

Nice post. I have an ancient package using an Oracle connection.  Voila.

7. Zamir says:

That was it.  Once I changed the setting of 64-Bit to False it worked.  Thanks for your help.

8. Ertan says:

I was using the SharePoint Data source control from Pragmatic Works to get access to Lists on a SharePoint site ie their 'Task Factory' product. Your post from 4 years ago just keeps on giving. Thanks Faruk

9. Mayara says:

Thanks a lot

10. VS2012 expert says:

Thank you so much for Run64bitRuntime option.

It resolved my XML error by setting to False.

11. Sina says:

I am getting the similar error when trying to deploy my SSIS project from VS 2012 to SSISDB in SQL 2014. Error output contains something like '…CPackage::LoadFromXML fails…'. Any other possible cause for this?

12. Mike P. says:

Thanks for posting this, it saved me from hours of troubleshooting.

13. Ed [Belgium] says:

You saved my day!

14. Ed_______ says:

You saved my day!!

15. Shri says:

Thanks for the article. I was able resolve my issue with your solution. Great work!!

16. Roby says:

Hi,

Can anyone suggest me any possible solution for my problem. I am also using a 3rd party connection Manager (Attunity) and it’s 64 bit version. Reason for 3rd party connecter is that OLEDB connectror takes 2 hours to load from Oracle to my SQL Server tables, where as Attunity takes 5 minutes. A
    Any help would be appreciated

My server : 2008 R2 64 bit machine. SSIS: 2008.
    Things run well in BIDS (In both Run64BitRunTime set to True and False), but always fail when scheduled in an SQL agent job (Even after changing Execution Option back and forth).

Error: The connection type “MSORA” specified for connection manager “Oracle Connector 1” is not recognized as a valid connection manager type.

Error loading value “<DTS:Objec" from node "DTS:ConnectionManagers".

17. seshi says:

Thanks alot and the same problem with oracle attinity drivers.

18. Raquel Quintanilla says:

I fixed thi putting one inferior level in targetserverversion on properties of project

Skip to main content