System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater


Today I have tried to connect to Oracle database using Business Connectivity Service (BCS) to crawl the data in the database so the end user can able to search this data but I got the following  error when try to Crawl the content source :

The error in SharePoint Log:

Errorinfo is “System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.”

I have installed Oracle Client 11g (11.2.0.1.0) on Search Servers (Index Servers) which is greater than 8.1.7 so as Mr. Moustafa arafa said in his post

http://moustafa-arafa.blogspot.com/2007/04/systemdataoracleclient-requires-oracle.html

It is a security issue, so to fix it simply do the following:

Go to the Oracle Client folder.
2- Right Click on the folder.
3- On security Tab, Add “Authenticated Users” and give this account Read & Execute permission.
4- Apply this security for all folders, Subfolders and Files (IMPORTANT).
5- Don’t Forget to REBOOT your Machine; if you forgot to do this you will still face the same problem unless you restart your machine.

Comments (19)

  1. vijay says:

    thank you

  2. madhu says:

    thank you

  3. Hami says:

    which folder U r talking abOut???

  4. Root folder of Oracle Client for example if you install Oracle Client in C:Oracle then grant permission to this folder

  5. Shreekanth Gaanji says:

    Thank you.It really works 😉

  6. GAURAV says:

    HEY BRO I M USING WINDOWS 7 AND I GAVE ORACLE 10G AND I DID SAME THING U SAID ABOVE BUT ITS NOT WORKING BRO 🙁 🙁

  7. Hisham says:

    Grate it works.

  8. JRR says:

    Same problem as GUARAV above: Using windows 7, set permissions on the folder and lo luck.  Still getting the error.

  9. Atif says:

    Great It works alot.

  10. Mukhthar says:

    Cool, thanks. It works.

  11. Manish says:

    Same….Using Windows 7…. Setting permission not working

  12. JavaJoe says:

    This is kind of a generic message. I tested an app that specified system.data.oracleclient namespace and it doesn't exist on the Windows 7 – which is new because on Windows XP you could see a Microsoft OLE DB Connection to Oracle – not any more and that is why I got this error. So it could be a security issue, but if you look in a UDL file you might that you don't have a Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle.

  13. Vasya says:

    Thk, Brother!

  14. Mohan Kirti says:

    It's working..Thank You.

  15. Johnson says:

    Thanks, works out perfectly

  16. sinduja mariyappan says:

    Thanks a lot .. It helps..

  17. Kaffash says:

    Tanks