Remoting / Binary Serialization compatibility between .NET Framework 2.0 and 1.1

I am getting a lot of questions about serialization compatibility between .NET Framework 2.0 and 1.1.

To make Binary Serialization (the BinaryFormatter) and.NET Remoting work across these Framework versions, a patch must be installed for .NET Framework 1.1.

To obtain the patch, first install Service Pack 1 for .NET Framework 1.1. Then, contact Microsoft Product Support Services (e.g. through here: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=3041) and request the Version Tolerant Serialization patch. Mention KB article 907262 – this is an unpublished article so you will not be able to find it, but PSS engineers should know what you are referring to.

Update: To make the PSS process even smoother, you can give them the internal MS hotfix numbers: 258345 and 258416 (one of them is for Win2k3 and the other for WinXP)

As far as I understand you will not be charged for the support incident (or you may be charged at first but the charges will be voided once the support engineer learns that a hotfix directly solves your problem).

If you encounter any problems during this process, please contact me directly at (my user id from my blog at microsoft.com). In fact, I would appreciate a quick email even if the process goes smoothly – we are currently trying to find a better way to release the patch, and having more customer data will be useful.

— Eugene

1. The following links to .NET resources have been collated over time with the assistance of colleagues. …

2. <doc><div xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN

3. John Nugent says:

Hi Eugene,

I am getting the same exceptionerror messge described in 907262 but my problem is where I only have .NET 2.0 installed i.e. do not have .NET 1.1. on the machine. Therefore the fix will not install because .NET 1.1 isn’t there. I had put a support request in for the 907262 fix but it did not work of course. The problem assembly was compiled on a .NET 1.1. system.

This is proving to be a major problem for me as my product will not work on .NET 2.0.

Do you have any suggestions or know of any fixes that address a .NET 2.0 system that gets the same exceptionerror messge described in kB article 907262?

Thanks in advance for any help

John Nugent

4. syossym says:

Hi Eugene,

I received the HF from the tech support but I got only one exe file (is this ok?!) and the main problem is that I cann’t make it run on Win2k3. The file I got is titled  NDP1.1sp1-KB911205-X86.exe – note that the KB number here is different from the one you posted.

I would appreciate any help regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Yossy Michaeli

5. TH says:

I was getting this error when I was running a side by side execution of the v1.1 and 2.0 framework after doing a conversion of our code but forgot to change the ASP.NET version number in IIS to use the 2.0.x version of the framework.

6. Smit Shah says:

I got the same problem as syossym

NDP1.1sp1-KB911205-X86.exe

but I cant install it because I already have 2.0 installed

it says I should have 1.1 SP1

7. Smit Shah says:

Finally…

Got it to work on my XP box after upgrading to 2.0

Installed 1.1 SP1

And the hotfix from KB 907262(NDP1.1sp1-KB911205-X86.exe)

MSFT’s timeframe for the HOTFIX to be public is when it releases SP2 for .Net 1.1

BUT (and there always is )

How woudl this be handled with Vista which does not have 1.1 installed ?

Is there already a hotfix article for that ?

8. Carl Garnett says:

I’m working with SAP Gui…and it needs Net-framwork 1.1(4233).  Some users have 2.0 if I install the 1.1 which one will it use and why.

9. Daniel Carlon says:

The application will run from 1.1, because the app was compiled with that framework, both frameworks will still available, the application (any) search the framework of its native compilation if is not found in the system, will try to run with the newest version.

10. Marvin M says:

Please anyone who has the hotfix KB 907262(NDP1.1sp1-KB911205-X86.exe) available for download from thier web/ftp site? Or is it not allowed?

11. Oscar M says:

Hi Eugene,

My problem is similar (if not identical) to the one from John Nugent (May 24, 2006).  My computer has .NET Framework 2.0 installed and my system keeps trying to install an update for .NET Framework 1.1.  I am trying to install some software which keeps looking for the .NET 1.1 and it keeps cancelling out because it does not detect it.

Thanks for your help!

12. Filip A. says:

Hi,

Our SMS plugin for MS Outlook is written in c# and using .Net 1.1 frameworks.

See http://zinek.com/documents/mmanager_product_sheet.pdf

We upgraded it to .Net 2.0 but it seems as we have some compability issues.

It doesn’t work with newer Windows XP installations (new laptops) and Outlook 2002/2203.

The SMS plugin icon doesn’t show up on the toolbar.

Any ideas why?

Please help !

Filip

support@zinek.net

13. Alex O says:

Hi,

¿Is there a Patch for framework 1.0  or just works with 1.1 ?

Thanks,

Alex Ortega

aortega@solidario.fin.ec

14. shopautodotcaseocontest says:

thanks eugene. as always good post and thanks for the blog

15. John S. says:

Eugene – since this post is a little dated, I would like to verify this hotfix is still necessary for my situation and this is the proper method of obtaining it.  My situation:

We have a large number of .NET 1.1 COM+ business objects called from 1.1 websites and now we’re attempting to create 2.0 websites that reference the same 1.1 COM+ objects.  This works fine until we use an object with a date whereupon we receive the following exception: "ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Ticks must be between DateTime.MinValue.Ticks and DateTime.MaxValue.Ticks. Parameter name: ticks"

Is my only resolution to obtain the hotfix from your post?

16. Travis W. says:

Our company found that a .NET 1.1 website calling a .NET 2.0 web service had an issue with the primate System.DateTime as follows:

"2008-11-01 00:00:00.000" would be transated to "2008-10-31 23:00:00.000"

and

"2010-04-01 00:00:00.000" would be translated to "2010-03-31 23:00:00.000"

but other months remaind unaffected.

We have not installed the patch yet to see if fixed it though.

17. Acai Berry says:

this makes me seriously curious of how they’re going to handle it in 3.0 because now that its had a chance to age we’re finding more and more unfixable problems with 2.0

18. Acai Berry says:

I was thinking the same thing!

19. Acai Diet says:

True, not sure how that would work in binary mode though.

20. Acai Pills says:

Truth be told though, this article is a litle biased!

21. "2008-11-01 00:00:00.000" would be transated to "2008-10-31 23:00:00.000"

i had that too and will try installing the patch too. 🙂 cheers mate.

22. it-tech says:

Do the latest .NET Framework version works fine?