Enabling EnterpriseManagementChartControl in Visual Studio 2005

If you try editing some generic reports like Performance in Visual Studio you will get an error saying that EnterpriseManagementChartControl is not installed. The reason is that SCOM 2007 does not configure EnterpriseManagementChartControl development environment during normal install. If you like to use chart control designer in Visual Studio you would need to configure it manually. Here are the steps:

1. Make sure SCOM 2007 Reporting is installed.

2. Copy MicrosoftRSChart.dll and MicrosoftRSChartDesigner.dll from SSRS bin directory to Visual Studio private assemblies directory on your development machine.

Location of SSRS bin directory depends on the way you install SQL Sever but usually the path looks like this: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.N\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin

Visual Studio private assemblies directory usually could be found under \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies

3. Find RSReportDesigner.config file in the Visual Studio private assemblies directory and add the following records to it:

<Configuration>

Type=Dundas.ReportingServices.RSChartConverter,
                                  MicrosoftDundasRSChartDesigner
    />
    ReportItemConverter>

Extensions>
    Configuration>

4. Restart Visual Studio.

Please note that these steps will only work with SCOM 2007 SP1 RC or later releases. The files mentioned here were not a part of SCOM 2007 RTM.

1. sjr says:

Hi Eugene,

firstly – great blog thanks for all the info. My specific question is I have followed the steps above and have downloaded the availability report locally. After copying down "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Reporting.Security.dll" and "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Reporting.Code.dll" in addition to the DLLs listed my report starts up but I do not see the RPB, only a series of input boxes.

Is this expected behaviour? Is there anyway of having these present as they do in the operations manager console?

Cheers

Sean

2. sjr says:

I should note that I have also modified the report.config file.

Cheers

Sean

3. eugenebykov says:

Hi Sean,

Unfortunately the Smart Parameter block is currently only works in SCOM Windows console. You cannot use it in VS report preview window.

The best report development technique I would suggest is publishing report from VS directly to SCOM SSRS instance and opening it is SCOM console for preview or "debugging". This is actually the technique we use for our reports development.

Eugene.

4. KBS says:

Can I work with SQL reporting services 2005 and still use the chart controls?

5. eugenebykov says:

Yes. Enterprise Management Chart Control is designed for SQL Server Reporting Services 2005.

6. KBS says:

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your response. I copied the dll’s and modified the config file as mentioned in your article. However, I do not see the chart control in the tool box. Am I missing a step. Thanks again.

KBS

7. eugenebykov says:

You would need to restart Visual Studio after you did all the configuration. If "Microsoft Enterprise Management Chart" is not appearing under VS Toolbox "Report Items" you can add it via Choose Toolbox Items dialog ("Choose Items…" context menu). Just select "Microsoft Enterprise Management Chart" under ".NET Framework Components" tab.

8. KBS says:

Thanks Eugene for your response. I did restart Visual studio after the configuration changes. But I am still not able to select the Ent Chart Control. The obly chart control I see is "Chart" with namespace "Dundas.Charting.WebContol" and assembly name as "MicrosoftRSChart(2.0.0.151). This is already selected. However in the tool box it shows as greyed out.

Here is what I have

Visual Studio 2005 on a xp service pack 3 machine

SQL Reporting services 2005 with SCOM 2007 R2  from where I copied the dll’s.

I would appreciate any help!!

Thanks

KBS

9. KBS says:

Eugene,

I did want to update you with status. I am able to add the M Chart Control to a .net web app. However, I am unable to add the chart control to a reporting services project using Visual Studio 2005 and SSRS 2005. I followed all the steps mentioned above but still have the issue – unable to add the chart control to the tool box for a SSRS report application

thanks