SQL Server 2008, Feb CTP – Get it while it is hot!

Update: While this http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/bb851668.aspx page still says Nov it actually takes you to a page that is Feb, or says it is Feb. I’m downloading at home right now, if its the wrong version I will know in 20 mins.

1. nielsb says:

Hmm, following the link I only get to the November CTP???

Niels

2. Euan Garden says:

Good catch Niels it must be slow propping to the servers.

Folks hold on while I dig into this.

3. Dave says:

Do you know if this build is compatible with the VS2008 Support patch released yesterday (KB945855 )

4. nielsb says:

Euan,

Thanks! Looking forward to the new drop!!

Niels

5. John Freeman says:

Please keep us up to date as to when it’s going to be released if it’s not going to be released in the next 24 hours. Thanks.

6. OPC Diary says:

というわけで、やっとリリースのようです。 Euan Garden’s BLO…

7. Euan Garden says:

Niels: should be live now.

Dave: I am checking for you.

8. SQL Server 2008 February 2008 CTP is Released! SQL Server 2008 February 2008 CTP is ready to be downloaded

9. Doug says:

Is there a configuration setting to prevent custom backup devices from being installed?  We’ve had many performance and security problems with third party backup products installing custom backup devices into SQL Server’s memory space.

10. Euan Garden says:

Doug,

Off the top of my head I can’t think of one but I am guessing you need to be an admin to load new XPs (which is what I think you are raising as an issue) so in that case even if it were a separate permission, then the admin would have it.

In general if you want a highly availabl, reliable system then you should avoid using technologies that do wird stuff "in-proc" as they share an area of memory that can be problematic. This includes sp_Oa, XPs and Linked Servers (although the letter is less problematic than the others, however all it takes is one bad OLE DB Provider…)

Skip to main content