FAQ, Why does SSMS take 45s to start up?

This is not the answer to all occurences of the issue but try the following;

• Shut down SSMS.

• Go into IE, select Tools|Internet Options|Advanced

• If “Check publisher’s certificate revocation” under the security node is checked, then uncheck it.

Now try SSMS again, was it faster? Either way re-check the setting to be safe.

Ok so here is what is happening. SSMS has a high percentage of managed code, all of this code is signed when we ship it. At start up (if this setting is checked) the .Net Runtime tries to contact crl.microsoft.com to ensure that the cert is valid(there were some fake certs issued in Microsoft’s name a while back so this is a very valid concern). If there is no internet connection or there is a problem contacting the certificate revocation list server then this will delay SSMS startup.

Now this problem is not unique to SSMS, it actually applies to all managed code and flipping the switch switches off this check for ALL managed code on the machine which may not be a good idea, but at this time I don’t know of a way to switch off the check on a per app basis, there are some folks looking however.

There have been several internal discussions on this and some external ones as well.

1. Phylyp says:

That helped. That really did. Thx a lot, Euan

2. Aaron says:

Does anyone know the location of this setting in IE7?  I couldn’t find any options with that wording.

3. Robert McNeal says:

In IE7 it is under the Internet Options Advanced tab.  Scroll down to the Security section.

It is still listed as “Check publisher’s certificate revocation”.

4. Karl.P says:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.2047.00

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.2047.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.086.1830.00 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)

Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.3790.1830

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.42

Operating System 5.2.3790

With this configuration and server cert revocation disabled (also required for WSUS to respond within a minute) it is still trying to "phone home" to crl.microsoft.com.

Shame I can’t upgrade to the SQL2000 MMC to manage SQL2005, still trying to find something positive to say about the new console, makes using the command line seem quick and easy.

5. Karl.P says:

Quick fix that works…

add to your host file the following lines

# entry to get around diabolical Microsoft certificate checks

# which slow down non internet connected computers

127.0.0.1 crl.microsoft.com

6. Very Grateful says:

Thanks a bloody lot Euan!!!  That really works and now I can start doing some real work instead of going for coffee whenever I fired up the slow-as-hell SSMS !

7. Maurizio says:

It works!!! great!

8. BtV's corner says:

I just bumped into an interesting article on Euan Garden’s blog on how to boost the startup of SSMS.

9. This issue is covered pretty well by blogs in the context of SSMS ( Dan Jones and Euan Garden ) and in

10. This issue is covered pretty well by blogs in the context of SSMS ( Dan Jones and Euan Garden ) and in

11. Like many of you, I find that working in SSMS is a joy, compared to Query Analyzer. Like many of you, I miss things like CTRL B to move the splitter bar between the query window and the results pane, and I’ve moved on to just using CTRL R to get rid of

12. As part of my work I have to manage quite a few SQL Server 2005 installations. Some servers I was able

13. killkill says: