Last Thursday we delivered a day briefing on developing server applications with IIS7, WCF, WF, MSMQ as well as a swift look at Designing For Operations. The “official” followup email should happen in the next few days with details of how to download the decks and code. In the meantime, here are the links and answers to the questions that we couldn’t cover in enough detail during the briefing.
P.S. Dave and I very much enjoyed the day and the discussions we had with many of you.
The main links are:
- IIS7 www.iis.net
- The “best webcasts on IIS7” http://www.microsoft.com/emea/itsshowtime/result_search.aspx?event=69
- Compatibility and Logo landing page for Windows Server 2008 http://www.innovateonwindowsserver.com/
- Compatibility cookbook for Windows Server 2008 http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480152.aspx
- Microsoft.com and IIS7 http://blogs.technet.com/mscom/archive/2007/09/07/the-tasty-morsels-found-in-dogfood-mscom-ops-top-10-changes-in-iis7-0.aspx
- IIS 7 Managed module starter kit http://www.iis.net/downloads/
- Add application specific UI to IIS Manager http://www.iis.net/articles/view.aspx/IIS7/Extending-IIS7/Extending-IIS-Manager/How-to-Create-a-Simple-IIS-Manager-Module
- Workflow webcasts http://blogs.msdn.com/pandrew/articles/460630.aspx
Questions during the event:
- What are the specifics on breaking changes for ASP.NET on IIS7
- The details can be found at http://www.iis.net/articles/view.aspx/IIS7/Hosting-Web-Applications/ASP-NET/ASP-NET-Integration-with-IIS7?Page=2
- When including a module in the pipeline, how do you control whether it is just for .aspx applications.
- This is controlled through a pre-condition. E.g. <add name=”FormsAuthentication” type=”System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule” preCondition=”managedHandler” />
- WCF on client – can you specify which network nic to use?
- Compression in IIS7 – what has changed?
- Nice overview entry on the changes http://blogs.iis.net/ksingla/archive/2006/6/13/1313980.aspx
- Delegation can be made from server admin to site owner, but is there site owner to anything “lower”?