Why are unused using directives not a warning?

As I’ve discussed before, we try to reserve warnings for only those situations where we can say with almost certainty that the code is broken, misleading or useless. One reason for trying to ensure that warnings are not “false positives” is that we don’t ever want to encourage someone to take working, correct code and break it so as to remove the warning. Another is that since many people compile with “warnings are errors” turned on, we do not want to introduce a whole lot of unnecessary build breakages should the warning turn out to be unwarranted.

An unused using directive is almost certainly not “broken”, and it’s probably not misleading. It certainly is useless though. Why not produce a warning for this, so that you can remove the useless directive from your program?

Suppose we make an unused using into a warnings. Suppose you do have “warnings are errors” turned on. And suppose you create a new console project in Visual Studio.  We generate you this code:

using System;
using System.Text;
using System.Linq;

class Program
{
  static void Main(string[] arguments)
  {
  }
}

… which doesn’t compile. Which is better, generating code that doesn’t compile, or omitting the using directives and making you type “using System;” the first time you try to use Console.WriteLine?

Either way is a really bad user experience. So, no such feature.

1. Patrick Dewane says:

Although somewhat unrelated, this reminds me of a VS feature I wish existed. It would be nice if VS had an option to generate a using statement when tab-completing a namespace via Intellisense. At least I don’t think this functionality exists…

2. I’d like a way to automatically remove all unused usings throughout a project – but it may already exist and I just haven’t found it yet.

The thing I’d definitely like using-wise, that VS definitely doesn’t already do, is find potential "using"s that would provide an extension method that you are trying to use – the same way it provides potential "using"s that would match a class name if you type one in. This applies both to extension methods I’ve written myself, and to the extension methods in System.Linq that provide the query pattern for IEnumerable and company if you try to start typing a from iEnumerable select … statement.

I realize that doing that would be a fair amount of work for the intellisense engine – it’s a lot easier to do some work on every unmatched classname than to do it on every unmatched method, I guess. But extension methods are rare – you could build a name->method mapping up front of every extension method defined in every assembly that the compiler is aware of, same as the way it must currently build a dictionary of name->class for every assembly to enable the ‘add using’ feature that already works. The dictionary of extension methods would be much smaller than the one that already exists for classes…

3. tps12 says:

Yes, other IDEs handle this kind of thing fairly elegantly. I’m thinking specifically of editing Java in Eclipse, where the code completion knows about types in packages you haven’t yet imported and adds them for you when copy and pasting, that sort of thing. I think some people write programs that NEVER call Console.WriteLine!

4. Pavel Minaev says:

@Stuart: it’s not there out of the box, but it’s fairly trivial to script one. E.g. see this:

5. And it would be nice if it were easier to configure which warnings were errors in VS too…

6. Guys – here are a couple of tips for the requested functionality mentioned above in VS 2008.

To automatically add required "using" statements, click on the offending type name in the source code and watch for the small red line that appears under the last charactter of the type name and click <Ctrl>-<Period>. This brings up a context menu that will either add the required "using" statement or spell out the full namespace definition.

To removed unused "using" statements, just right-click one of the using statements in your source code and click "Organize Usings" | "Remove Unused Usings".

Hope that helps someone! Best wishes to all.

7. So the problem here is really that “warnings are errors” doesn’t make sense if the warning is about "useless" code.  Could that feature be updated to understand which warnings are just about "useless" code and not treat those warnings as errors?

8. Tim Robinson says:

I’ve never worried about any of this since I started using ReSharper.

It has:

* Generate a using statement when tab-completing a namespace via Intellisense

* Find potential "using"s that would provide an extension method that you are trying to use

* Knows about types in [assemblies] you haven’t yet imported and adds them for you when copy and pasting (OK, not quite seamless: requires some Alt+Enter keypresses)

9. Todd Wilder says:

Perhaps another type of compiler output is needed, something like Recommendations?

10. Aleks says:

@stuart & Pavel:  There’s also the VS 2008 Power Commands that adds Organize&Remove using among other useful extensions:

11. Chris B says:

I think this is another example of "good design is the art of making good compromises", and this is the right compromise to make.  For me, the difference between unused using directives and other types of compiler warnings is that (AFAIK) unused using directives have no impact on the generated IL, whereas other warnings serve to tell you that the compiler may ignore some of your code because it isn’t reachable, unused, etc…

@Eric,

Were using statements such as "using IntFunc = Func<int>;" also included for this?  I could see this being treated differently than the "you didn’t actually use types from the System namespace" case.  For me, the aliasing using case sits somewhere between this case and the used variable case.

12. Danyel says:

It sounds like the problem in your example is that the sample code includes system.linq and system.text for some reason, even though I’m not using either. If I have set ‘warnings are errors’, then I WANT warnings to hurt.

13. Ian says:

One example where you would need them, that tools seem unable to comprehend, is when using conditional compilation.

#if ALLOW_FILEIO

using System.IO;

#else

using MyApp.FakeIO;

#endif

14. Jon Skeet says:

@Danyel is spot on in my view.

<rant>

Why do the Visual Studio templates feel the need to include so many using directives? In my experience it’s extremely easy to add a using directive automatically – I can’t remember the last time I wrote one manually… probably back in VS2003.

This is just one example of Visual Studio being annoying, in my opinion. Other examples:

– Defaulting to creating "Form1.cs" – who actually *wants* a type called Form1? Ask me for a better name, or use a better default.

– Defaulting to copying a file as "OriginalName – Copy.cs" – again, I’m bound to want to give it a different name, so ask me at the point of copying… and then rename the class within, if it matched the original name.

– Defaulting to creating variables such as "textBox1" via the designer

– Defaulting to creating event handlers such as "button1_Click"

– Defaulting to adding references to various assemblies I rarely use (System.Data and System.Xml). I suppose this is somewhat justified by earlier versions of Visual Studio taking an age to bring up the "Add reference" dialog, which is much impoved in VS2010.

All of these make it really easy to create an app which is ugly (in terms of code) at the expense of making it easy to create an app with meaningful names. Why not guide developers towards using meaningful names to start with, instead of it being a manual extra step?

</rant>

I can see that the decision not to produce warnings for useless code makes some sense in the light of Visual Studio *encouraging* you to have useless code… and with so much code already written, it’s probably too late to fix it now. It does make me sad though… oh well, at least Resharper lets me remove unused using directives fairly easily.

Sorry to be such a curmudgeon on this score. I promise to revert to my normal happy self soon.

15. Mike Folden says:

I agree with Todd Wilder above.

It would be nice to have another type of compiler message that pointed out if a "using" or anything else were not actually necessary.

Maybe we can call the type of message "random musings of the compiler…"!

16. J West says:

Oh Sweet Jesus, why would anyone even want such a "feature"?

It’s a _compiler_, it’s job is to turn code into executable and tell you why if it couldn’t.

Warnings themselves are a feature!

If you want something to complain about things like "unused using statement", then you should be using a code style analyzer.  Like maybe StyleCop? Or FxCop? Both very good products!

You may have orange juice as well as coffee every morning, and you might have the worlds best coffeemaker, but that’s a terrible reason to try and get your coffeemaker to make orange juice for you as well.

I mean really, the right solution for the problem.  Right?

The C# compiler is a fantastic tool, the idea shouldn’t be to add "features" to it till it sucks like everything else.  Where do these crazy ideas come from?

Thank-you Eric, keep shooting down the crazy ideas! Keep the C# compiler beautiful!

17. Pavel Minaev says:

@Jon:

>  Defaulting to creating event handlers such as "button1_Click"

I understand the frustration with all your other points, but what’s the problem in this case? Are you unhappy about "button1" (but then you’ve already listed the naming of new controls as a separate point)? Or is it the "ControlName_EventName" convention – but if the latter, what’s wrong with it?

18. TaylorMichaelL says:

An issue to be aware of with treating unused usings as a warning/error is that sometimes the using isn’t needed in the generated code but it is needed to avoid other warnings.  The classic example is doc comments.  If you reference something in a <see> tag then you’ll get a compiler warning if the item can’t be found.  The using statements in the code determine whether that item is found or not.  The code itself will compile without the using statement.  It is tedious and wasteful to have to use full type names in comments so that really isn’t an option.

19. Jon Skeet says:

@Pavel: It’s the "ControlName_EventName" convention, which is made worse by violating normal naming conventions (as the control name is usually in camel case).

My problem with that convention is it’s non-descriptive – it describes the caller, rather than what it will do. If I have a save button and I click it, I want to hook that up to a SaveDocument method, not a button1_Click method – then:

1) When I’m browsing the member list I can tell exactly what that method’s going to do

2) When I’m looking through the event subscriptions I know what will happen when I click on the save button

3) If I want to hook the same method up to multiple events, I can do so with no extra work and within the same convention, because I’m describing what the action should do, rather than what’s causing it.

20. Java has an annotation (the equivelent of attributes in .NET) for suppressing warnings. I’d love to see this in .NET:

[SupressWarning]

some line of code that causes a warning

Just an idea.

21. Jon Skeet says:

@Tim: There’s already #pragma warning disable/restore for this purpose.

22. Tamas Czinege says:

Maybe you could introduce another level of compiler messages called "polite reminders" for cases like that.

23. Pavel Minaev says:

@Jon:

I think that it’s still perfectly valid, because, well, you really shouldn’t have "SaveDocument" method in your form. You’d probably have one in your model, and the event handler in the form would be just glue to call that method in the model.  However, the event handler naming in that case is correct – it’s precisely just "code that gets called when Save button is clicked".

> Where else do we name methods based on the circumstances under which they’re called, rather than what they’re meant to do?

Nowhere, but event handlers are special in that the caller does not know _anything_ about the method he’s calling in their case. He’s just told to call "that method" (via a delegate), and that’s it.

24. @Pavel says:

> I mean, a method called "SaveDocument" with a signature of "(object sender, EventArgs e)"? Am I alone in thinking that it would be a rather weird sight?

Indeed, and that’s why it should be called "OnSaveDocument" to fit in with naming conventions typically associated with event handling. The "OnSaveDocument" method would then call the "SaveDocument" method of the model.

25. Mark Knell says:

@Jon Skeet

You don’t have to look far from the "ControlName_EventName" convention. The whole official .NET event pattern is rife with iffy names, from origination to handlers. You’re supposed to raise event Foo with

protected virtual void OnFoo(FooEventArgs e) {…}

I’ve worked with plenty of people who can’t remember whether "On" is the canonical prefix for methods that raise events or for handlers, and frankly, I don’t blame them.  "On" is merely informative enough to remind you of eventing without actually clarifying which end of the event pipe it’s supposed to be.

I prefer to name the originators RaiseFoo().  It’s my way of stickin’ it to the man.  (No offense, Eric.)

26. Pavel Minaev says:

> Indeed, and that’s why it should be called "OnSaveDocument" to fit in with naming conventions typically associated with event handling.

"OnSaveDocument" (as noted by Mark above) is reserved for protected virtual methods raising the event, and shouldn’t be used by handlers (so long as we’re sticking to the standard coding style, for better or worse).

Also, even "OnSaveDocument", ignoring the convention, would sound to me like a handler for event "SaveDocument" on the _model_ (because such an event shouldn’t be seen in the view/form).

27. Pavel Minaev says:

> I’ve worked with plenty of people who can’t remember whether "On" is the canonical prefix for methods that raise events or for handlers

It’s both, actually (which doesn’t exactly help the confusion, but still at least there’s a reason for "On" there) – in derived class, you’re supposed to override "On…" if you want to handle the given event on your own object. The fact that "On…" in some base class up the chain also raises the actual event for outside clients is orthogonal to that.

Now, personally, I never really understood the need for this two-stage pattern in the first place. It’s not like derived classes can’t attach event handlers to parent’s events… I suspect it was put in place for the sake of optimization (as overriding a vtable slot is effectively "free", while delegates have to be allocated, and dispatch is a little bit slower, too), but I doubt it actually buys us much if anything today. The overhead from a typical L2O query alone is probably an order of magnitude worse.

28. Aaron G says:

Going to have to disagree with Jon and some of the others here.

I do think that "Form1" is a crummy default – "MainForm" would probably be a much better one.

But…

1) Copying file XYZ to XYZ – Copy.  The alternative is apparently to ask for a better name.  Great, but what if you’re trying to copy 5 files?  Do you get 5 dialogs asking for new names?  1 dialog with a 5-row table asking for 5 new names?  This would be infuriating, especially since it’s exactly the same amount of work to rename afterward.  Forcing me to type new names before allowing me to make the copies would be a classic example of "stopping the proceedings with idiocy."

2) What’s the alternative to default names like textBox1?  Is it supposed to pop up a dialog box asking me for a better name every time I create a control?  Dear lord, that would kill my workflow!  I always end up giving my controls better names, but most if not all of the time, the first thing I’m concerned about is layout, and any impediment to this process is wholly unwelcome.

3) Why wouldn’t I want to bind saveButton (or btnSave, take your pick) to saveButton_Click?  The text and position of a UI control should already indicate clearly what it does – you shouldn’t need to look at the bindings for it.  If you can’t understand it, neither can the user.

Furthermore, not every event is a simple "EventHandler".  What if you want to fire the same event on, say, a button click and a key press (search anyone?)  In one event handler you just call "Search()" directly, in another you have to actually check the event arguments.  The "map control events directly to methods" convention doesn’t scale well with different types of controls and events.  In a great deal of event-driven programming, the circumstances under which an event is raised really *do* matter!

4) Default assembly references – well, the reason for that was already outlined, it takes bloody ages for that dialog box to come up.  If this is indeed fixed in VS2010 then I’ll be very happy, but for now, I’m glad that I don’t have to add those references manually, especially since I do use those assemblies fairly often.  IMO, this could be solved by letting us choose which assemblies to add by default as opposed to always using a minimal set (I know, configuration is complication, but we are programmers after all…)

Visual Studio *is* annoying in many ways, but making users jump through unnecessary hoops in the name of cleaner code is not a step forward!

29. McKay says:

If I have "XML Documentation File" turned on and "Warnings as Errors" turned on as well, the generated code won’t compile. Sometimes people with "Warnings as Errors" turned on are willing to do a little work to get template code compiling.

30. pete.d says:

"Now, personally, I never really understood the need for this two-stage pattern in the first place. It’s not like derived classes can’t attach event handlers to parent’s events…"

That said, I do find the "On…" nomenclature wrong.  The word "On" implies that the method is called when the event _happens_, i.e. in response to the event.  I agree that "Raise…" is a much better convention, and it’s what I use in my own code.

As far as Jon’s other rants, it’s a mixed bag for me.  I agree that "Form1" is a silly default name; at the very least, use the name of the solution and project.  Maybe even provide an optional field in the new-project wizard that if filled in allows me to override that default.

Also, the default references are really annoying.  I almost never need half of the ones automatically inserted for me into a project.  I almost wonder if the main reason so many are included is that for so long, it’s been so painful to add a new reference, because of how long it takes the Add Reference… dialog to come up the first time.  In any case, a much more user-friendly way of managing references, and not cluttering up my project settings with extraneous ones would be very welcome.

But I also agree with Aaron that requiring me to provide names for EVERY new Designer-added element would really slow me down.  Yes, I do eventually go back and rename things as needed, but I generally do that only for those elements that I actually need to access.  There are lots of structural things that go into a form that don’t need any real name, or even a class field for that matter.  (In fact, what would really improve my workflow would be if some clever UI could be designed where a class field is not generated for real until I actually try to use it 🙂 ).

As for the naming of event handlers, I’m ambivalent.  On the one hand, I recognize Jon’s frustration with both the capitalization convention used, as well as the apparent uselessness of the name.  I share his general preference for descriptive, self-documenting code.  On the other hand, it’s unusual when an event handler – at least, one for a GUI-related event – I write is actually where the main work is done.  Quite often, I’ve got some helper method that the event handler actually calls off to.  This is especially true for any non-trivial event handling.  So, the event handler itself describes what event it’s designed to respond to, while the helper method’s name is descriptive of the actual action being taken in response to the event.

The one place where the default event handler name becomes really inappropriate is when a single event handler is designed to deal with events from multiple controls.  For example, check-state changes for a radio group.  In that case, the event handler name needs generalization even if it’s going to be describing merely the handling of the event.  But these situations come up infrequently enough, and are so much harder to generalize a solution for, that I’m not bothered that the IDE isn’t helping me out with those.

(Though, frankly…for that one specific example, it sure would have been nice if the Forms API had provided for something that represents the entire radio button group, rather than forcing me to always wrap the group in my own abstraction.  I mean, after all, the Forms code itself does need to do the abstraction anyway to properly handle the checking/unchecking of the radio buttons that share a group; why not expose that to the client code?)

And finally, I cannot submit this comment without including my own pet peeve regarding compiler errors and warnings.  That is, false-positive uninitialized variable errors.  Consider:

{

}

if (fValid)

{

Console.WriteLine("Value of number is " + num); // CS0165 here

}

}

The compiler doesn’t like that the I haven’t initialized "num" in the case where "fValid" is false.

Now, I readily grant that the difficulty of the analysis I want the compiler to do as compared to the difficulty of the analysis the compiler actually does is much greater.  It’s not that I don’t understand the challenge.  But at the same time, as a programmer who can look at the code and know that I never use "num" before it’s initialized, I get frustrated.

This wouldn’t be so bad, except that the fix is to initialize the variable to some random default at some point (either in the declaration or in the other code path).  And as I alluded to in the previous topic regarding initialization of value types, default initialization can actually be just as bad a bug as not initializing at all, because default initialization can result in silent errors, where the code doesn’t fail immediately, but goes on to produce results that are wrong in subtle, hard-to-detect ways.

I’d sure love to see the tools get better about this stuff, so that I never have to initialize something I don’t really use, and so that I’m always warned when I use something that’s not initialized explicitly (i.e. not just because some non-spec default initialization happened to occur).  The bugs related to getting initialization wrong in these ways that are currently not detected can be hard to track down, due to their subtlety.

31. pete.d says:

…and lest people misunderstand, the code example in my previous comment is not a real-world example.  It’s a dramatically simplified version of a real-world example, for the sole purpose of illustrating a point.  Obviously, if you’re just trying to convert a string to an int where a failure to convert might happen, there are much better ways to do that.

32. Phillip says:

Yep some of those things are annoying.

My only rant, since we’re off-topic, is Visual Studio’s AutoEventWireup. It’s always a ‘why is this firing twice’ or ‘why is this not firing’ head scratch that usually is the issue, and it’s a real time waster.

An on-topic comment is that I’m pretty happy that unused usings are not an error/warning. ReSharper is a cheap and simple solution.

And the default usings are a bit annoying. I remember Web Forms and the System.Drawing.2D.Image versus the System.Web.UI.Controls.Image – oh how ambiguous names annoy me. Doesn’t help when a dev on our team made their own Image entity that is used practically everywhere. Namespaces are great, but reusing common names is a recipe for pain. Thanks dude!

33. So… what’s the reasoning this type of thing can’t go in the ‘messages’ window? that thing almost never gets used, and I can’t seem to find anyway to actually make use of that window. i’d love to leave notes/non-error warnings or even better the TODO list, or throws not implemented exception list in there. instead of having to manage a separate tab for those cases.

34. Leo Bushkin says:

@Pavel:

> Now, personally, I never really understood the need for this two-stage pattern in the first place. It’s not like derived classes can’t attach event handlers to parent’s events… I suspect it was put in place for the sake of  optimization.

I do not view this as an optimization pattern – I view at the template method pattern. Having a method that is always called *before* and/or *after* event handlers are raised can be very useful. Event handlers are not promised to be raised in any particular order, so there’s no way to make yourselfe first or last subscriber. Besides, I always find it awkward to see a class that subscribes to events that it (or it’s base class) itself raises.

35. Pavel Minaev says:

> I do not view this as an optimization pattern – I view at the template method pattern. Having a method that is always called *before* and/or *after* event handlers are raised can be very useful. Event handlers are not promised to be raised in any particular order,  so there’s no way to make yourselfe first or last subscriber.

Actually, yes, they are raised in a particular order. Well, it’s up to a specific class to declare its own contract (as, ultimately, it can always define add/remove as well as raise itself), but default implementation of events always raises handlers in the order in which they were added. This is trivially observable when using ref arguments, or when passing in mutable object of reference types. In fact, the framework itself uses that pattern heavily in form of e.Cancel property of various EventArgs subclasses – that one requires a definite ordering of event handlers to be of any use.

So far, even with custom events, I haven’t seen any implementation that didn’t guarantee order. And if one doesn’t guarantee it for clients, then why should it guarantee it for derived classes? Or, put it another way – if you want "before" and "after" functionality, then why should it only be available to derived classes, and not to every client of your class? And you can trivially do the latter by providing Before…/After… events, as e.g. WPF does for many of its events.

>  Besides, I always find it awkward to see a class that subscribes to events that it (or it’s base class) itself raises.

Why? I understand why it could feel awkward to subscribe to your own event (though then again, it can also be clear and concise in some cases – it all depends on the exact case), but what’s wrong with subclasses subscribing to the events of the superclass? Events are just part of the API, just as members and properties are; it’s no more wrong for a derived class to subscribe to an event on its base class than it is for a derived class to call a method or property on its base class. If anything, this leads to more uniform code, as any class accesses the event functionality in the same way, regardless of whether the event is the one inherited from superclass, or provided by some random object.

I can understand it as a matter of personal subjective preference, but that alone isn’t a good rationalization for it.

36. Pavel Minaev says:

> It seems to me that a big reason for the "two-stage pattern" is so that derived classes can take control over the event-raising process, even inhibiting the raising of events altogether if need be, and at the very least injecting their own behavior at a specific point relative to the event raising, rather than being at the mercy of the order of subscription (being first is relatively easy, as long as the constructor is correctly written, but being last is a lot harder, and being both first and last is even harder still!)

It’s an interesting point. I find it ironic, though, that CLS spec actually defines three standard special methods for events – given event X, there’s "add_X" and "remove_X", as you’d expect, but there’s also "raise_X". CLR itself also special-cases all three with keywords ".addon", ".removeon", and ".fire" – same as properties have ".get" and ".set" (there’s also ".custom" for both events and properties). However, neither VB nor C# seem to actually be able of either generating ".fire" event method, or using one. If they were, it would be more logical for a class that wants its children to be able to intercept raising of the event to declare said event virtual, and let them override ".fire".

At the same time, I don’t think that providing derived classes with the ability to intercept raising of all events (or even any events) is a reasonable defaults. We don’t usually allow overriding most methods, why allow mucking with all events? And, in practice, that’s how the pattern is normally used – for _all_ events, regardless of whether it is meaningful (and secure!) to allow subclasses a backdoor or not.

IMO, the only reasonable default is to treat subclasses as "just another client", with no special privileges. C# does that with non-virtual-by-default already, which the "On…" pattern breaks.

37. pete.d says:

"At the same time, I don’t think that providing derived classes with the ability to intercept raising of all events (or even any events) is a reasonable defaults. We don’t usually allow overriding most methods, why allow mucking with all events?"

"We" don’t.  The main place this is the default is in the Forms namespace, and in related classes (e.g. BackgroundWorker).  And sure, you might argue that’s poor design, but that’s the design choice of those authoring that particular class library.

There’s nothing in C# that makes it the default, and in fact I generally do _not_ follow the "protected virtual" pattern, specifically because in general, it makes sense to me that event implementation details are just as private as any other implementation detail I might include in a class.  I’m not specifically trying to preclude inheritance; I just feel that even when inheriting a class, only some subset of the implementation details need to be modifiable by the derived classes, and those cases will be determined as the design of the class plays out.

That said, I think it’s safe to assume that at least _some_ thought along those lines was done by those who came up with the Forms API, and the fact that they have followed this "overridable by default" design indicates that in that particular domain, they found that more often it _was_ useful and important to grant that level of access to derived classes.

That said, note that this is not a universal design approach.  In Java, non-private methods are overridable by default, and I’ve seen very few class implementations where this has been disabled explicitly by making methods "final".  In general, implementation details meant to be restricted to the given class are simply made "private", and the remainder are (one hopes) implemented in a way that allows effective sub-classing with overrides.  I think that in practice, much less thought is put into the question of designing for inheritance than should be.

At least in C#, supporting polymorphic inheritance has to be done explicitly, increasing the chances that some real thought will have been put into how best to implement that and provide for features sub-classes will need.

Based on that, I take as granted that the model seen in the Forms namespace does in fact have at least some good arguments in favor of it, as a divergence from what would be the nominal default.  And in fact, I have found that for most events I override in a Control subclass, it is in fact useful to be able to follow the same technique for ensuring order of operations, and to have a model where the actions taken by the class itself are in fact distinct from client code outside the class that may have subscribed to the event.  My code is actually much more uniform this way, than if I had to create and subscribe a delegate to base class events any time I needed to enhance base class functionality.

(p.s. I am a bit embarrassed at how far we’ve gone from the original point of this blog post.  But, obviously not so much that I’m resisting making further off-topic comments. 🙂 )

38. Art says:

@Pavel, to clarify, your assertion is correct that "yes, [events] are raised in a particular order", however what I think what @pete.d was intending to convey is that subscribers have no guarantees on order, nor should they come to expect a certain order of events being fired (via delegates).

The class could make a guarantee, but I’ve never seen one (ever) – it’s just an implementation detail.

As you say, sometimes it’s better to self-subscribe, other times it’s better to override.

39. Andrew Csontos says:

The bigger problem for my company is unused using () statements around database connections and other iDisposable objects that really need them.

We have found countless places in our code where developers forgot to add using() {} statements around SqlConnections and are effectively leaking them.

40. Mark Knell says:

@Pavel

I thought of a few reasons for the "protected virtual OnFoo(FooArgs)" pattern. I can’t come up with an aha moment, though.

There should be some way for a derived type to invoke its parent’s event.  That supports "protected" and the args.

There shouldn’t be a way for nonderived types to invoke an event.  That rules out "protected internal".

There shouldn’t be a way for nonderived types to inspect the underlying delegate chain. Subscribers can put delegates to nonpublic methods in there; there’s an expectation of privacy.  That underscores why the backing delegate is private.

This is almost more of a mechanical problem than a logical one, but: there’s a syntax problem in C#, at least–a logjam around accessibility. An event already has a modifier that is shorthand for its Add and Remove methods.  How would we express accessibility of the event raiser, distinct from the accessibility of add/remove?

That covers everything but the reaons for "virtual".  Leo mentioned the template method pattern.  I think I’d call this a hook more than template–I think template implies both virtual and nonvirtual steps, where the base class performs the invariant steps nonvirtually. In this case, there is no invariant behavior, is there?  Derived classes can suppress the actual raising of the event altogether.  But the larger point stands: derived classes *can* decorate the base behavior.

If a derived class provides its own Add/Remove, it has to invoke its own local event; the base event is private. So there’s an in-for-a-dime-in-for-a-dollar reason for "virtual".

By making OnFoo virtual, you allow derived types to do a bit of covariance.  Derived classes can read all the data from the FooArgs object and invoke an event that passes a SubFooArgs instead. It’s cowboyish but possible. (I’m not coming up with a compelling example why you’d WANT to do this, but…)

Maybe this is a more realistic motivation: with a virtual OnFoo, you can precede the base classes’s event with a cancellable pre-event of your own.

Okay. That’s plenty of offtopic speculation from the likes of me.  I’d still like to know if there’s an aha-moment explanation, though.  This is beginning to feel like an interview question…

41. Gabe says:

The OnFoo pattern has a couple useful purposes that I can think of.

Let’s say you’re implementing a base class like UIElement which could have a dozen events. Since a complicated UI could have thousands upon thousands of UIElement-derived objects, most of which won’t have even one event wired up, let alone several of them, you could implement some sort of dictionary-based backing store for events. That way you can define as many events as you want for a UIElement and not have to worry about paying the price for every single one of the thousands of UIElements in an app.

Of course derived controls like Button and TextBox are going to need to hook these events. Should the creation of every single TextBox invoke the creation of an event dictionary and several delegates to add to it? Clearly it’s much more efficient to have controls like Button and TextBox override some functions to get their desired behaviors.

The second purpose was one I ran across recently. There’s a class called ObservableCollection that raises an event every time its collection changes, and I wanted a way to make a batch of changes at a time (like sorting) and only raise a single event at the end. If I could not have overridden the OnCollectionChanged function to not raise the event while making the batched changes, I would have had to reimplement the whole class myself.

42. jonskeet says:

I’d just like to publicly apologise to Eric for derailing the whole comment conversation here. I won’t make it worse by replying to the various points raised since then.

So, warnings and unused using directives, anyone?

43. Gabe says:

I think that the compiler should only raise warnings for things that could reasonably be bugs in your program. For example, if you declare a variable and never use it, it could be an indication of a typo or forgetting to write some code that uses it.

However, an extra using directive is hardly an indication that you were intending to use some namespace and just forgot. It simply is a way of expanding the global namespace should you need it. Warning for unused usings would be like warning for pragmas that have no effect or #defined symbols not used in an #if — it may be useful information to know, but it’s not an indication of a likely bug.

44. Anonymous says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if using statements could also be added just before methods and blocks. It is the fact that they get added before a class that often makes them forgotten and therefore fall into disuse. It would make it simpler to specify the rare using statements closer to where they were actually used, and to have those that had a wider scope further away i.e. above the class declaration. Just my 2c.

45. Greg says:

I’ve personally removed tens of thousands of lines of unneeded usings, unreferenced variables, unused methods added for completeness, set/get variable wrapper functions, etc from several offshore written asp.net systems.  Those systems followed strict coding standards that added 10 to 20% overhead in the number of lines per file.

Removing unneeded usings is a good thing.

Code simplification is a good thing.  Simplification is not replacing a 5 line loop with a 1 line one using linq or old C style terseness.

46. David Nelson says:

"Which is better, generating code that doesn’t compile, or omitting the using directives and making you type "using System;" the first time you try to use Console.WriteLine?"

Umm, the latter. I have already edited all of the major project and item templates that come with Visual Studio (which should really be a lot easier, btw) to remove the superfluous using statements; I am going to do it again when Visual Studio 2010 goes RTM. Why would Visual Studio assume that I am going to use Console.WriteLine in *every single class* that I create? Most of the time I don’t need the System namespace at all, and the other namespaces are even less likely. And even if I do end up needing it, it is trivial to select "Resolve" from the context menu and have it added for me.

Contrary your assertion, I DO find unused namespaces to be misleading, just like unused types, members, or local variables. They are a sign to me that code has been modified and not properly reviewed. The difference between namespaces and the other code elements is that with the other elements, you cannot be sure that they are not being accessed through reflection; but with namespaces (and type aliases for that matter) you KNOW whether or not they are being used.

I agree with Danyel: I have "warnings as errors" turned on because I WANT to be warned when there is a potential problem with my codebase. Why the C# team is so intent on not warning me, when that is specifically what I have asked for, really bewilders me. That illogical line of reasoning has been used to justify not adding all sorts of very useful warnings.

As for the rest of the discussion, I strongly agree with all of Jon Skeet’s points, except for event handler names, where I agree with Pavel. But the others are all long-standing annoyances I have with Visual Studio. It is even more annoying when posts like this one hold up my annoyances as virtues and then use them to justify not adding other useful features. As Jon said: "I can see that the decision not to produce warnings for useless code makes some sense in the light of Visual Studio *encouraging* you to have useless code." I would love to see a push in the next version of VS for EVERY single area of the IDE to start encouraging good practices, instead of catering to the lowest common denominator.

47. David Nelson says:

@TaylorMichaelL,

Xml comments are parsed by the compiler. If a namespace is used in the xml comments, it is not unused, and should not generate the warning.

48. Jon Skeet says:

It may be worth pointing out that an unused using directive *may* mean a bug in your code. It may be that you’re using an extension method from namespace A instead of the one you intended to use from namespace B. Admittedly this is partly due to one of my very few peeves about how C# has evolved (the way that extension methods are discovered) but it really could change behaviour.

49. Tom says:

Naming Conventions:

If your first form is called MainForm, is your second form called MainForm1?  You have the same issue, namely that the IDE developers are probably NOT psychic.  (Correct me if I’m wrong.)  They wouldn’t follow this age-old convention if it didn’t satsify the general market.

The numeric suffix conveition has been around since before most fresh-out-of-school coders were born and is used in the vast majority of software tools name their objects using the "type + index" convention, including 3-D software.  I’d assemble a list upon request, but Eric probably doesn’t want me filling up his allocated blog space.

Personally, I will end up renaming my controls no matter what Microsoft calls them, just as I do with Photoshop layers, 3ds max edit objects, etc. etc..  The idea is, protoype fast, beautify when it matters.

Directive Warnings:

I second the suggestion to use the Message box.  It’s practically useless right now anyway.

If you think unused usings are bad, try collapsing the block and see how quickly you forget about them.

Even Visual Studio 2008 Standard *without* SP1 has the option to right-click, Organize Usings, Remove Unused Usings.  How any self-respecting coder could miss this is beyond me.  Methinks you should explore and understand the tools you use on a day-to-day basis to feed your family before you complain about a feature that already exists.

Bear in mind that VS only creates usings for existing references.  If you removed unwanted references when you first create your project, you won’t get all those extraneous directives in every code module you add.  The problem is when you remove a reference mid-development, and all those extra usings you were never warned about suddenly become errors.  That’s where right-click | Organize Usings is very handy.

50. Tom says:

To amend myself, I don’t know if VS2005 or VS2003 have the Organize Usings option out of the box, as it’s been quite a while since I’ve used either of them.  I apologize to the folks still using the older IDE’s.  As mentioned before, you have Power Commands and other tools at your disposal.  If you don’t like adding extra tools, upgrade to VS2008.  If you’re not using VS at all . . . good luck to you.

51. @Tom: "Even Visual Studio 2008 Standard *without* SP1 has the option to right-click, Organize Usings, Remove Unused Usings.  How any self-respecting coder could miss this is beyond me." – which is why I specifically said "throughout a project" (although what I really meant was throughout a solution). With a large codebase the idea of opening up hundreds of .cs files and right clicking each one is ridiculous. It’s nice to have it in the code editor but it’d be much nicer to have it globally.

52. David Nelson says:

@Tom,

"Bear in mind that VS only creates usings for existing references.  If you removed unwanted references when you first create your project, you won’t get all those extraneous directives in every code module you add."

This is a complete fabrication. If I remove the extraneous System.Data and System.Xml references when I initially create a project, then not only will the extraneous using statements still be there when I add another class, but Visual Studio will actually *add* the references that I already removed! Which is why I edited the default templates to get rid of that nonsense.

53. Andy Turner says:

It’d be annoying if I temporarily commented out some code and then started getting warnings about the now-unused Using statements.

54. Jon Skeet says:

@Andy: You’ll get exactly the same thing if you remove all uses of a local variable, but not the declaration. In the case of using directives it’s extremely easy to get rid of that warning though – or you could just ignore it, if the commenting out really is temporary.

55. SonOfPirate says:

Seems the most obvious (and easiest?) solution is to enabled severity levels for code analysis rules (this would definitely be one) and make "Unused Using Statements" report as Information.  The Error List already supports these levels, so why not use them.

As an extension of this would allow filtering which rules are reported as errors and which remain warnings when "warnings as errors" is set.

Just my two cents.

56. Ray says:

Not always unused usings are really unused. Parts of codes that are not being compiled due to macro directives #IF may need those "unused" usings when they actually being compiled.

Resharper can clean the unused usings (and other unused code parts) automatically throughout solution for you, btw.

Skip to main content