The Stack Is An Implementation Detail, Part One

“references” are often described as “addresses” when describing the semantics of the C# memory model. Though that’s arguably correct, it’s also arguably an implementation detail rather than an important eternal truth. Another memory-model implementation detail I often see presented as a fact is “value types are allocated on the stack”. I often see it because of course, that’s what our documentation says.

Almost every article I see that describes the difference between value types and reference types explains in (frequently incorrect) detail about what “the stack” is and how the major difference between value types and reference types is that value types go on the stack. I’m sure you can find dozens of examples by searching the web.

I find this characterization of a value type based on its implementation details rather than its observable characteristics to be both confusing and unfortunate. Surely the most relevant fact about value types is not the implementation detail of how they are allocated, but rather the by-design semantic meaning of “value type”, namely that they are always copied “by value”. If the relevant thing was their allocation details then we’d have called them “heap types” and “stack types”. But that’s not relevant most of the time. Most of the time the relevant thing is their copying and identity semantics.

I regret that the documentation does not focus on what is most relevant; by focusing on a largely irrelevant implementation detail, we enlarge the importance of that implementation detail and obscure the importance of what makes a value type semantically useful. I dearly wish that all those articles explaining what “the stack” is would instead spend time explaining what exactly “copied by value” means and how misunderstanding or misusing “copy by value” can cause bugs.

Of course, the simplistic statement I described is not even true. As the MSDN documentation correctly notes, value types are allocated on the stack sometimes. For example, the memory for an integer field in a class type is part of the class instance’s memory, which is allocated on the heap. A local variable is hoisted to be implemented as a field of a hidden class if the local is an outer variable used by an anonymous method(*) so again, the storage associated with that local variable will be on the heap if it is of value type.

But more generally, again we have an explanation that doesn’t actually explain anything. Leaving performance considerations aside, what possible difference does it make to the developer whether the CLR’s jitter happens to allocate memory for a particular local variable by adding some integer to the pointer that we call “the stack pointer” or adding the same integer to the pointer that we call “the top of the GC heap”? As long as the implementation maintains the semantics guaranteed by the specification, it can choose any strategy it likes for generating efficient code.

Heck, there’s no requirement that the operating system that the CLI is implemented on top of provide a per-thread one-meg array called “the stack”. That Windows typically does so, and that this one-meg array is an efficient place to store small amounts of short-lived data is great, but it’s not a requirement that an operating system provide such a structure, or that the jitter use it. The jitter could choose to put every local “on the heap” and live with the performance cost of doing so, as long as the value type semantics were maintained.

Even worse though is the frequently-seen characterization that value types are “small and fast” and reference types are “big and slow”. Indeed, value types that can be jitted to code that allocates off the stack are extremely fast to both allocate and deallocate. Large structures heap-allocated structures like arrays of value type are also pretty fast, particularly if you need them initialized to the default state of the value type. And there is some memory overhead to ref types. And there are some high-profile cases where value types give a big perf win. But in the vast majority of programs out there, local variable allocations and deallocations are not going to be the performance bottleneck.

UPDATE: Part two is here

(*) Or in an iterator block.

1. Tom says:

Excellent article – you’re totally correct – the emphasis on value types stored on the stack is bizarre and confusing.

2. Néstor Sánchez A. says:

So… an improvement to the .NET documentation and its explorer could be to separate the semantic usage from the implementation details (show just when needed).

3. Frederik Siekmann says:

Basically I think the stuff about allocating structs on the stack is about a getting a simple mental model of the memory management of the CLR rather than an correct explanation of it:

When you look at the memory management of C you will realize that it is quite simple to to understand

and you can get an image how this actually maps to the execution on a CPU (+ RAM). So it’s quite convient to map the primitives found in C (stack allocation, heap allocation) to C# and while this doesn’t necessarily explains that much it still gives some intuitive image what happens behind the scenes (which means behind the abstractions provided by C#/the CLR in terms of memory managment).

So, you are right we get an model which doesn’t explain that much and might be even wrong (e.g. your idea about allocating structs on the heap). But nonetheless there is no simple(*) mental model (except ‘magic’) for the memory management of the CLR and a simple image which may be wrong under certain circumstances is often better than no image at all.

(*) With simple I mean really simple: A compacting, mark-and-sweep, generational garbage collector is not simple.

4. Wolf Logan says:

"…a simple image which may be wrong under certain circumstances is often better than no image at all."

Unless you’re making technical decisions based on that image. And most people do; for many, that’s the entire purpose of having a mental image: to make decisions easier.

One of the purposes of managed code is to make implementation details a much lower priority for developers than they used to be. It’s reasonable, in many cases, to simply say that what’s going on behind the scenes just doesn’t matter. In some cases, it’s even a requirement; different implementations of the CLR do things differently, and moving code (or even algorithms) between runtimes can be a wake-up call if you’re depending on some implementation detail. And there are more implementations out there than you might think.

If knowing the implementation details is something of a hobby for you, then by all means enjoy. If you’ve identified an implementation-dependent bit of code as a major bottleneck in your application, then feel free to fit it precisely to a specific implementation. But for the vast majority of the managed code that most people write, they should keep the implementation details pretty far from their minds and stick to the behavioural and semantic details — the ones that are essentially guaranteed by the specifications.

5. Jon Skeet says:

I’m sure I’m not the only reader looking for the upvote button at this point…

Having said that, the stack/heap problem doesn’t feel as bad to me as the "reference by value" vs "object by reference" issue, where developers *still* insist that "objects are passed by reference by default" (in C#). Avoiding using the word "reference" for two definitely-related-by-distinct concepts would have been handy – but arguably this is computer science’s fault more than C#’s.

6. Greg says:

– Optimize after you solve and implement the business solution.

– Pick the technology solution so that it fits the business problem (don’t force the business solution to fit a particular technology, architecture, design pattern, class library, etc.).

The two above are largely lost in recent large scale systems I’ve inherited.  The net effect of too early optimization or ‘ohh it’s soo cool patterns / new class library of the week’ is that the cost of the software is greatly increased, the lifespan of the software is considerably shortened and the failure rate (software fails to meet ongoing business needs) is high.

Systems that solve business problems and don’t pick overly complicated architectures or lots of third party libraries last longer and are cheaper in the long run.

7. I often complain about a similar problem with the way people usually describe reorderings in memory models.  Everyone seems to start with a discussion of cache coherence, write buffers, memory heirarchies, etc., when what is really important is just that things can be reordered.  The student is often left with the impression that this stuff is a lot harder to understand than it really is.  (I’m not saying memory models are easy – just that you really don’t need an EE degree to understand how to use them).  Describing things this way also makes people think it’s just a hardware issue, when in fact the most surprising reorderings are done by software (compilers, runtimes, etc.).  The only time a programmer should be thinking about cache lines is when something isn’t going fast enough.  And even then they should try thinking about everything else first. 🙂

8. “Making the nano-optimization of making a type that really should be a ref type into a value type for a few nanoseconds of perf gain is probably not worth it. I would only be making that choice if profiling data showed that there was a large, real-world-customer-impacting performance problem directly mitigated by using value types. Absent such data, I’d always make the choice of value type vs reference type based on whether the type is semantically representing a value or semantically a reference to something.”

I find that the problem is more commonly doing the other way around: I’d like to make all my no-inherent-identity, value semantic types value types, but it seems that it places an undue performance burden for large aggregates for no good reason. Hence the MSDN (and, if I recall correctly, Framework Design Guideline) recommendations to avoid structs over 4 ints large, and make them into classes past that point instead. Which is a pity, because I really shouldn’t have to be concerned about such things at all – as you yourself say, I should care about semantics, not about implementation details (and how they affect performance). Unfortunately, I’m forced to.

It would be really nice if CLR would indeed “do what’s best” in any given case, and allocate some value types on the heap, cloning as needed when passing around copies (and possibly doing some mutability analysis to avoid copying at all!). As you say, it has a mandate to do just that already, so I’m surprised it’s not used yet.

On a side note, sticking to this definition of value types – don’t you think it would be much less confusing to have the value-semantic types in FCL also be structs? I mean things like System.String and System.Uri. In fact, I’ve never understood the design decision of making String a reference type – it looks like one of those unfortunate things done following the Java path, like array covariance. IMO, the fact that C# overloads == and != for String is already a dead giveaway that it shouldn’t be a reference type in the first place (and the same goes for any other type, by the way). And, of course, the pure evilness that is “null”…

Structs in the CLI have the pleasant-for-the-implementor property that they are always of a size known at compile time. Strings and URIs do not have that property. So we can either (1) abandon the nice property that structs are of known size, or (2) make strings an immutable reference type and overload equality so that they act like value types. We chose (2). Design is the art of making reasonable compromises when faced with conflicting goals. — Eric
  9. configurator says:

The proper response, in my mind, to the ‘explanation’ of value types as "Value types live on the stack where reference types live on the heap" should be "And?"

More explicitly, it should be "Why the @#$% should I care where they live? I asked what is the difference between them, I couldn’t care less about where they live OR what they eat for dinner."

When learning about struct vs class, I didn’t know what heaps and stacks were used for yet. I did know that function locals live on the stack, but not to a level that reading ‘live on the stack’ made me thought "Oh, like function locals". So I simply ignored any reference (no pun intended) to the heap or stack. I believe that is a major reason in why I now know what the difference actually is – or at least why it came so naturally when I first learned it. Because I ignored the ‘stack’ and ‘heap’ references that were thrown in there like little confusion bombs. Luckily for me, I didn’t understand them!

@Jon: You’re not alone, don’t worry.

10. MichaelGG says:

Even odder about "light and fast" idea is that up until recently (and even now, I think), the JIT doesn’t do all the optimization it could with value types. Before 3.5SP1, I think tail calls wouldnt be performed if the type was a value type. In running mini benchmarks here and there, sometimes passing around a struct results in far worse performance.

11. KristofU says:

Since I work in C++ mainly, I can only comment from the C++ viewpoint.

I try to use as much value semantics, with objects allocated on the stack, as possible. Especially when combined with templates.

Littering your code with ‘new’ statements when it’s not necessary and trivial to avoid, is basically a time sink.

Stack allocation is an order of magnitude faster, and it does not need to lock anything.

So advising people to not pay attention to this, will create a codebase that is slower than it should be.

12. raven says:

But…C# is intended to run on CLI, right? Even though ECMA-334 states that C# doesn’t have to rely on CLI, but any implementation of C# should still support minimal CLI features required by C# standard. And ECMA-335 CLI does talk about "the invocation stack" and "the heap", even though this stack doesn’t have to be related to the C-stack. It’s pretty vague to just say "the stack" without pointing out "which stack", for implementations of CLI can choose to put invocation stack frames on the heap, or whatsoever.

13. Frank Bakker says:

I agree that that the storage location of a type is not  the most important property to describe when explaining the diffrence between value and refrence types. Neither is light and fast vs big and slow.

But as an alterantive could you give a good alterantive explanation based on the observable characteristics’ in such a way that developers will get a good understanding of the diffrence and be able to make the right choice.

14. I always follow the rule of "Measure Measure Measure" and tend not to create premature optimization. This is the reason why I often use classes without worrying about "mmmmm maybe a structure is quickier". I programmed a lot in C++ and Assembly, and I found myself familiar with stack or heap concept, moreover I like the C++ approach where is duty of the programmer to decide if an object is to be allocate on the stack or into the heap.

But .NEt is a Garbage Collected environment, this prevent majority of memory leak, and this is great. Moreover allocating on the heap is not so slow, because the heap gets compacted, thus allocating X bytes in a managed heap is only a matter of incrementing a counter.

The drawback of using a lot of classes, is that you have high memory pressure on the heap, you will end with more garbage collection, thus a slower program. But as MichaelGG says, passing around a lot of structures will end in a lot of memcopy, while passing a class consist of only pass the class pointer.

Moreover I found web application where the home page does 50 queries to the database…….. in such a situation is ridiculous to worry about diff of performances between class and struct.

The last consideration is: A great number of .net developers does not fully understand how a struct behave, and I saw bug deriving by forgetting that a type is a value and not a struct. My golden rule is: write only classes,  and if your memory profiler of choice tells you that you have a slow heap because you have thousans object of class X, you can begin to think if it worth changing it to a structure.

15. Jason Haley says:

Interesting Finds: April 28, 2009

16. Jeff Martin says:

I like this article.  I have been seen interview questions like what the difference between a value type and a reference type and this stack vs heap comes up as an answer a lot. The "copy by value" is a much more valuable concept to understand.  Pardon the pun.

17. > Structs in the CLI have the pleasant-for-the-implementor property that they are always of a size known at compile time. Strings and URIs do not have that property. So we can either (1) abandon the nice property that structs are of known size, or (2) make strings an immutable reference type and overload equality so that they act like value types.

There’s also (3), implement as an immutable reference type, but expose to API clients wrapped into a value type. I.e.:

internal class StringData { … }

public struct String {

private StringData data;

public static bool operator== (String a, String b) { … }

18. Name Required says:

| Leaving performance considerations aside,

Wait WHAT?

I always thought that performance considerations was the only reason to include user-defined value types in the language. Copy semantics are totally useless since we don’t have any control over them, we can’t implement our own copy/assignment constructors, nor guaranteed destructors (and I can’t comprehend why). It’s always bit-by-bit copy. Why would you need that, _leaving performance considerations aside_?

So the only thing value types are useful for is performance. Array of structs is layed out contiguosly in memory, which means that when performance is an issue an you can convert some of your objects to structs, ditch `List<T>` in favour of Array.Resize (wrapped in a ref-parametered extension method that hopefully would be inlined sometimes) and get your 10x speed increase for that part of the code thanks to the prefetch.

Oh, well, there is this p/invoke stuff, too. Got it almost right in 2.0, IIRC, with embeddable arrays.

19. RussellH says:

I agree with John Skeet, where is the upvote button ;-).

"But more generally, again we have an explanation that doesn’t actually explain anything. Leaving performance considerations aside, what possible difference does it make to the developer whether the CLR’s jitter happens to allocate memory for a particular local variable by adding some integer to the pointer"

Maybe to help the developer to avoid overusing value types in functions called recursively, to avoid hitting the one meg limit?  I know that is not much or a reason.

20. Name Required says:

I mean. it looks like you’ve mistaken "value type semantics" for the "immutable type semantics"

i = 10

j = i

j += 1

assert i != j

Is that what you meant? Well, firstly, Python lacks value types (and that was valid Python), even ints are heap-allocated, yet they are immutable, because immutability is a property of operations on a type. Second, C# value types are not immutable (except when stored in a `List<T>`, and that’s why one has to use custom wrappers, sadly). No, these two things are profoundly different, and the value of the value types lies entirely in the performance characteristics.

Or am I wrong?

21. ShuggyCoUk says:

KristophU – the beauty of managed lanagues with ‘perfect'[1] GC is that *it doesn’t matter* whether new puts the memory on the stack or on the heap (or in some thread local store, or never does it at all) so long as the code consuming the data gets its contract fulfilled all is well. The contracts will be things like:

* Modifications to it are/aren’t visible to other parts of code

* The life span of the data is respected

* data is available to multiple threads if needed

By using techniques like escape analysis and whole program analysis you can see the obvious cases where the object is a candidate for stack allocation but even better you can see where the object never need be constructed (say if it is a POD block and only parts of it are required).

This is just the same concept as copy-on-write verses copy on read, it’s an implementation detail and one or the other is not always optimal so it’s quite possible that in most cases the compiler/runtime can work this out better than most humans can.

By giving the compiler and runtime more *freedom* you provide more scope for safe optimisations. This is why languages with free pointers are a bitch sometimes, pointer aliasing is *really* hard to work out correctly so effective optimisation can be a real pain, more programmer freedom actually hurts performance sometimes when the compiler is better at converting code to real world machine instructions.

[1] in the sense that iff an object is no longer reachable then it is eligible collection as opposed to simplistic ref counting implementations and the like

22. ShuggyCoUk says:

@Name Required – a usage you’ve ignored

structs allow exact control of the memory layout. This is extremely useful for simple (and admittedly quick) binary serialisation, interop with other code, if you want to implement unions (though you may consider that solely a performance issue).

They also allow creation ‘en masse’ in a default, usable, well defined state (as opposed to null) (again this is also quick but the semantics of it are the key no need to mess about filling an array or list with an explicit constructor call).

They can’t (Nullable<T> not withstanding) be null. At all, ever. This makes programming with them miles easier. Though I admit I would have preferred that the compiler and runtime prevented *any* variable from being null unless it was marked with ?

They always have a well defined default non referential notion of equality (even if it’s currently slow)

That’s it off the top of my head…

23. Jon Harrop says:

Great article!

For reference (haha, a pun), complex numbers using a value type for storage is probably the single most compelling example for value types in the context of performance. For example, computing the FFT of an array of complex numbers is ~5.5x faster with a value type than a reference type.

Also, value types can be essential for interop, e.g. in XNA.

24. Reference types have inherent object identity. Even in Python, you can write:

a = 1

b = 2 – 1

print (a is b)

That last line is legal, but rather meaningless, since you don’t get any useful information whatsoever from the fact that two ints are represented by the same object, or different ones.

There’s no formal definition of a value type (or at least I’m not aware of one), but a giveaway trait is that the only meaningful definition of identity of a value type is structural comparison (for some or all of its components), and, on the other hand, any value type can be meaningfully compared in that way. Reference types, on the other hand, may not have a meaningful equality operator at all (and defining one via referential identity is really just a hack to simplify things such as generic hash based containers).

25. Mark Knell says:

I think one reason the stack/heap trope lingers is that stack vs heap is often part of the bumper-sticker explanation of boxing.  To wit: reference objects are "in the heap", so to be treated as a reference object, the value type must be copied there, which highlights the fact that it wasn’t there to begin with.

Furthermore, on the spectrum of .NET knowledge, boxing shades toward the arcane and spooky.  Arcane in that 90% of developers don’t knowingly encounter it during 90% of their workday; spooky in that, among those that do think about it, most of the encounters are negative, i.e., cleaning up a bug due to accidental boxing, or at least including boxing in The List of Things That Could Go Subtly Wrong.

The brain often transmutes arcane and spooky knowledge into some proxied form.  Mental categories for things-that-might-hurt are pretty powerful.  When trying to account for bizarre behavior, it’s at least an interesting place to start.  Interesting enough for Freud to upend the study of psychology, anyway.

26. artsrc says:

This is discussed at length in Domain Driven Design:

Here is my view.  From a semantic point of view it is Person is a reference type, Details is a value type:

firstPerson = Person(name = "artsrc")

secondPerson = Person(name = "artsrc")

firstPerson != secondPerson

firstDetails = Details(name = "artsrc")

secondDetails= Details(name = "artsrc")

firstDetails == secondDetails

Two people with the same name are not the same person.  However their details may be the same if name is all that is known about them.

Values can’t change, new values are created.  Reference types can acquire new values over time.

It makes no sense to do the assignment:

1 = 2 + 3

1 is a value.  It does make sense to say:

firstPerson.age = 2+3

It might be handy to say:

firstDetails.age = 2 + 3

but it confuses the role of details as a value.

27. Joren says:

I think ‘passing’ has become a horrible and confusing notion. When I think of passing an object, there should be one and only one object that moves from one conceptual place to another. Making copies of the object, destroying the object, or modifying the object can never be part of this. The object I put in and the object I get out should be identical in every observable way. (I say observable because implementation details do not matter.)

Since the object passed in is identical to the object retrieved (there is only one object, because passing may not create objects), all modifications done afterward are visible to all parties.

If for some reason we desire that an object is immutable, nothing else changes.

If we desire that a mutable object is passed to a method that modifies it, without losing/modifying the original object, we copy the object before passing it. Since there is a specific reason why we need both versions of the object, copying the object should be explicit.

These are the semantics we need. Now for structs. There are two kinds of structs, immutable and mutable. Immutable structs are semantically equivalent to immutable classes. Both kinds of objects are passed in the way I described: you put an object in and you get the same (that is, observably identical) object out. All modifications allowed to the object are visible to all parties, because no modifications are allowed. The only difference between immutable structs and immutable classes is an implementation detail that’s only good for performance optimization. Like most performance optimizations, the choice would preferably be left to a smart compiler, although programmers would probably like it if they could specify it manually.

Mutable structs are often considered evil, but people have good performance reasons to use them. For example, if the ability to efficiently mutate objects is required and the overhead of using addresses is undersired, like when manipulating a large number of graphical primitives. Conceptually though, we can easily replace mutable structs by immutable classes. Whenever a struct would have been modified, instead we conceptually create a new immutable object with the modifications in place, and replace the original object with it. Whenever a struct would have been passed, we pass the immutable object. Semantically, this is what makes sense to do.

If we do this (when modifying objects) we lose the performance that changing fields has over creating new objects and replacing. But for every modification we immediately discard the original object, so we can optimize this creation-and-replacement by using field modifications as before. If this optimization is too difficult for a compiler to consider, we again have the programmer specify it manually. Passing the immutable objects of course can again be done by copying the bits as for integers, if this is worth it. So now we have objects with immutable class conceptualization, but mutable struct performance and implementation.

I think passing-by-value has been incorrectly raised to the conceptual level. Aside from implementation performance reasons, I don’t see why it would ever be sensible to implicitly copy an object in stead of passing-by-reference. As for the performance considerations, I think they should be handled by using programmatic annotations or automatic compiler optimizations, not by contriving a new category in the type system.

28. Greg says:

What’s lost in the stack allocation discussion is that higher level program structure changes will often have much better performance results.

Low level optimizations are typically done last in the development cycle and require the use of a code instruction level profiler.  It would help if the instruction level profiler was included in the basic or profressional Visual Studio.  The much more expensive Team Foundation System is beyond the reach of many development shops.

29. Dave says:

I would say that it is important to define Value Types vs Object types both in terms of how they behave AND in how they are implemented.

If you don’t realize that the stack, by it’s very nature limits the number of value types you can declare within a function, you risk a StackOverflowException without knowing why or how to fix it, as today’s post on my blog points out.

If you don’t realize that values are copied while objects are pointed to by a reference, you risk thinking that you’ve copied an object when in fact all you’ve done is moved a pointer around, and then you wonder why the original value got changed when you changed the copy.

WHAT these types are doing in memory is in fact WHY a Value Type or an Object Type behaves the way it does.  Not that it has to be that way, but understanding the WHAT will take you a long way to understanding the behavior you can expect.

It’s not an "either/or" issue.  It’s a "both/and" issue.

30. David says:

Stack vs. heap is still important to understand, for the simple reason that there are other languages out there that do things differently (notably C++).

Obviously, items on the stack are gone when the current function returns; objects on the heap may live on.  In C++, a class can be instantiated on the stack, and things like CriticalSection classes depend on that behavior.  People coming from that background need to understand the very important difference in .NET.

When .NET came out I thought this change was one of the more profound things they did.  In C++ the developer chose the lifetime semantics, regardless of type (struct or class).  In C#, the type determines the lifetime semantics.  Essential knowledge, even if "the stack" isn’t actually on the CPU stack,

31. > WHAT these types are doing in memory is in fact WHY a Value Type or an Object Type behaves the way it does.

I think your logic is reversed here. As Eric has pointed out above, it’s the observe behavior of value types that is primary, and their implementation (including "what they are doing in memory") is dictated by that.

32. James Curran says:

This leads to a question I’ve had about the .Net model model.

We use the terms "stack" & "heap" because back in the 1980s, a common C compiler/library organized local data using a stack data structure, while it stored malloc()ed blocked using a heap data structure.

So, the question is, in the current .NET implementation, is the Stack still a stack, and is the Heap still a heap?

33. LA.NET [EN] says:

In the last post , we’ve seen that one of the overloads used for creating a thread receives a parameter

34. ASPInsiders says:

35. Timwi says:

One thing I never understood about Microsoft is why you have employees (like yourself) who blog about problems, but never fix those problems. In this case, you highlighted a significant shortcoming in the MSDN documentation of System.ValueType – if this shortcoming is known, why doesn’t it get fixed?

36. sgorozco says:

Great post!  In my experience, the only time where choosing struct vs class really paid off was in solving an extremely high Garbage Collection latency problem.  Our application's original design built hundreds of binary trees that were constructed using reference-type nodes .  As the trees began to get more and more populated (several millions of nodes each), the garbage collector demanded more and more cpu  (keeping track and compacting for so many instances was evidently becoming prohibitely expensive).  The application lockups were of several seconds, -totally unacceptable -when full garbage collections were performed.  So we switched and implemented our trees using Lists of structs, with left and right references becoming indexes to the Lists  (we knew the implementation detail that a List collection for a value type will actually create a dynamic array directly holding the values).  This change dramatically reduced the number of object references to be tracked and completely removed the lockups.  We also consumed a lot less memory since node indexes were 4 bytes rather than 8 byte references in our 64-bit environment!