FIFA Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft 2006

The World Cup is once more about to commence.

During the 1998 World Cup in France, we were in Europe, and the Europeans take their football very seriously. Buildings in the Netherlands are covered with the orange. No matter where you are and who is playing, 30 minutes after a match is over you will hear people driving around honking their horns and waving flags (well, that part you see rather than hear) in celebration. And it’s common to see the police in riot gear in preparation.

During the time that was there, we watch 30 some games of soccer. Which seems a bit excessive, but it’s so rare to see good soccer in the US, and to be able to contrast the attacking style of the Europeans vs the more possession-oriented game of South America.

It can be confusing, however, to watch European TV, especially since the broadcasts were from various countries. In the US, we learn the names of countries, but we don’t learn the names in other languages (except, perhaps the home language of the country).

For example, in the US is would be Germany. In Germany, it would be Deutschland. But there’s also:

Duitsland (Netherlands)
L’Allemagne (French)
La Germania (Italy)
Alemania (Spain)

So, when you see a three letter code, it may take you a bit of time to figure out who you are really watching. They may use the standard euro codings for country names, but I don’t really know those.

And, the US may show up differently. USA (Germany), Etats-Unis (France), Estados Unidos (Spain)

US Television looks pretty good, with HD broadcasts of all 64 games.

Finally, go watch this cool Nike Video

1. Wilco Bauwer says:

It should really be "Nederland" (Netherlands).

"Duitsland" is Dutch for Germany.

2. Wilco Bauwer says:

Ignore my previous comment. Note to self: read!

3. Mark Wan says:

4 years ago I actually got up in the middle of the night to watch some of the games.  This time it’s easy for us Pacific time people.

Glad to see you calling that sport "football".  Most of the game is played with your two feet you know…

Normally Europeans are possession oriented and South Americans use an attacking style.  There was one year when Brazil tried a more European pressure defence tactic and they went belly up pretty early in the tournament.

I guess 3 letter ISO country codes are like metric units: once you get used to them you do. 🙂

enjoy the tournament – I know I will.

Mark W

4. Mike Thompson says:

64 Games?

5. Ruben says:

I don’t believe anyone actually uses the 3-letter ISO cods for things like football matches (soccer, whatever). I’m quite sure I’ve never seen DEU in a Dutch or British broadcast for Germany, but I do believe I’ve seen DUI/DLD and GER. And I’m quite positive most countries use HOL for the Netherlands.

6. Tobias says:

Actually, I’m German, and you’ll never see DEU for Deutschland in German TV.

Depending on where the TV-Broadcast is comming from it’s GER (most commen) for Germany, FRA (French I think, translates into Federal Republik of Germany). In old TV-Broadcasts it was BRD (for Bundesrepublik Deutschland) which is the actual name.

The most interesting about Nations & Soccer is that the UK has actually at least 3 National teams. The Englisch, the Scottish and the Welsh. I don’t know if Northern Ireland has it’s own team or unites with Ireland, which is a different country.

7. Padu says:

Brazil also has 2 teams, both capable of achieving the WC title. The main team and the reserves team…