Devo 2.0

I came across a site for a group doing covers of Devo songs.

That by itself only rate a 5 or so on the weirdness scale. The weird thing is that

a) It’s a kids group, of undisclosed age, though they look like 12 year olds to me.

and

2) It’s backed by Walt Disney Records.

I listened to a couple of their on-line videos. I tried watching them, but it’s pretty painful – their actions on the video bear only a modest relationship to what’s happening in the audio track, though I suspect that there are some sync problems between the two as well. The musicianship is adequate – it’s not like the typical Devo song requires mad skillz – but the mix is the typical kid-pop over-smooth mix, without any real edge to it, which kindof misses the point of the music. And I came across at least one gratuitious lyric substitution in “girl u want”.

On the other hand, I’m mindfull of what Wayne’s World did for Queen’s music, and hoping that this will “expand the horizons” of some newer music listeners. So, I don’t know what to think. It could be a lot worse.

[Pre-updated: on looking at the official Devo site, I came across this:

DEV2.0 is a strange, Corporate-Feudal experiment that attempts to bring the original DEVO music sensibility to children in the 5 to 8 year old demographic range.
]

Here’s the site. So, what do you think?

1. MSDNArchive says:

Evil. Evil. Evil.

They are not men. They are Dev2.0.

2. YAG says:

I agree with dweller. Just made me shudder listening them change the words to "Uncontrollable Urge" to a song about snack foods.

yag

3. michkap says:

Evil may be a bit ovetstated, I mean how many young kids would have a different reading of Devo than the one we had? 🙂

4. Seth Moonracer says:

A lot of people have been dissing this project, but I think that they are missing the point. If it was any other band but DEVO it would be bad, but this is just proof of De-evolution and all that the original band stood for. I think this is one of the most briliant things to happen in music in years.

5. Chris Lawson says:

It is brilliant.  I never would have thought of merging De-evolution with Disney, but it works.  WE ARE ALL DEVO!  De-evolution is complete.  All hail the tweens.

6. sarah says:

i just saw a commercial for the DEV2.0 cd last night and when i saw it was like what is this? then i was like is this some old crap cd that they r trying to sell now cuz the commercial looked old like some of those infomercials do (like the zoobooks one for example and it is an old one cuz it has been on for like 10 years) but today when i was reading my sister’s magazine i came across an add for that DEV2.0 and i was like hmm i guess it is something new. now i am thinking of buying it, especially since the ad in the magazine said that it was available at Target. so next time i will go to Target i will buy it and if it stinks then it will be hillarious.

7. sarah says:

8. sassy says:

I have kids, and actually, those it is cheesy, I actually like the torch being passed on to the next generation. And it damn well beats hearing kidz bop doing a version of a song that is definitely not appropriate for anyone under 18. My kids have listened to Devo, and they thought it was cool that someone else their age not only listened to it, but got the chance to be DEV2O.