Regex 101 Exercise S6 – Change the extension on a file

Regex 101 Exercise S6 – Change the extension on a file

Given a filename including path, change the extension to .out.

Input string example:

C:\utility\Processor.cs

Notes:

1. The best answer to this is really to use System.IO.Path.ChangeExtension(), but that wouldn’t be much of a Regex exercise, now would it?

2. It’s not as simple as it looks

1. Hasani says:

Regex.Replace(@"C:utilityProcessor.cs", @"[^.]+.([^.]+)$", "vb")

2. Hasani says:

whoops! forgot to include the path

Regex.Replace(@"C:utilityProcessor.cs", @"(?<path>[^.]+.)[^.]+$", @"${path}vb")

3. Hasani says:

and apparently I can’t read.

Regex.Replace(@"C:utilityProcessor.cs", @"(?<path>[^.]+.)[^.]+$", @"${path}out")

4. Jay R. Wren says:

I like:

Regex.Replace(filename, @".(.*?)$", "out");

5. Sachin says:

Regex.Replace(input,"(?<file>.+[.]+)+(?<ext>.+)+","${file}out");

6. Sachin says:

slightly trimmed down version of the above regex:

Regex.Replace(input,"(?<file>.+[.]+)(.+)","${file}out");

input: c:xyzabc.exe.config

output: c:xyzabc.exe.out

yippie!

7. Maurits says:

I assume that the regex should work regardless of the number of .s in the path. No problem there.

But… can I assume that there is at least one dot in the filename proper? (not including the path.)

Can I also assume that the last character is not a dot?

If so…

string DotOutIfy(string sFileName)

{

__ // easy to read

__ return Regex.Replace(sFileName, ".(.+)", ".out", RegexOptions.RightToLeft);

__ // perhaps more accurate

__ return Regex.Replace(sFileName, ".([^.\]+)$", ".out");

}

If I can’t assume those things, I should check for them and raise an appropriate error.

8. Maurits says:

What is "expected behavior" if there is a FOLDER named

C:utilityProcessor.out

?

I assume that this is the caller’s problem, not the DotOutIfy function’s problem…

9. Reggifier says:

(@".([^.]+)$, ".out")

10. Maurits says:

Hmmm… it seems that Regex.Replace(string, string, string, regexoptions) will check the entire string for all occurrences of the pattern (in a "s///g" sense, not a "1 while s///" sense) so my initial submission is wrong.

There’s a Regex.Replace signature that allows specifying a maximum number of replacements… but no signature that allows BOTH specifying a number of replacements AND RegexOptions.RightToLeft…

It’s beginning to seem to me that perhaps .NET regexes are not suited to this.

If this was perl it would be easy:

$fileName =~ s/.([^\.]+)$/.out/; # no /g

But there’s no simple .NET regex equivalent.

Perhaps it would be better to find the index of the last . in the string (n), take the left (n – 1) characters of the string, and add ".out"

11. vascov says:

Replace( filename, @".(^.)*$", "out" );

12. Vasco Veiga says:

oops, it should be ".[^.]*$"

( next time i’ll actually test the regex before posting 🙂 )