Workout headphones?

I’ve been having problems with my earbuds coming out when I’m working out, so I’d like to switch to some more conventional headphones, and I’m looking for some suggestions.

1. I switched from buds to the Bose QuiteComfort II noice cancelation headphones. They’re awesome!

2. I’m using Etymotic ER-6 which are also noise cancellation headphones.

3. I’ve got Sony MDR-P180. Long cable, very good sound, especially at high volume :)

4. Zach Johnson says:

Not conventional, I use the Iphono bluetooth stereo headphones. Very nice not to have a cable while running.

5. Guttorm Aase says:

I’ve had the Sennheiser PX100 for a few months now. The sound is awesome (surprisingly good bass for such small headphones and very crisp highs) and they are very light so they should be good for working out. You can check out a review of them at http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26&productID=0020080010

6. David Levine says:

The best workout headphones I’ve ever used (and I’ve tried dozens) are made by Sony. The earpiece style is similar to noise cancellation head phones in that they have rubber inserts that fill the ear, but they are easy to get in and out and do not fall out. I believe the model number is MDR-EX71SL or MDR-EX51LP. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny. I use mine every day.

7. Stuart Dootson says:

You could try Shure earphones. I have the E2Cs and have used them while gardening – not quite as energetic as a workout, I know, but still there’s a lot of movement and bending going on.

8. Gabe says:

Being a developer who listens to MP3s almost all day, I have tried several ear phones ranging from $20 – $200. By far, the best ear phones I’ve used are the Koss KTX-1 phones (www.koss.com -> portable section). These phones are use Titanium diaphrams and sound superb with excellent bass response. They are half way between an open and closed ear design. There is a volume control on the cord. The best part is that they are only $25!

You can also buy these rebranded at Radio Shack stores.

9. Jeff Parker says:

I agree with Gabe the Koss ones are awsome headphones. I had an earlier pair lasted me 2 years, but they finally broke on me. Taking them on and off my huge melon. So I bought a sony pair because that was all i could find while at lunch one day and eh what difference did it make. Sony hurt my ears, and the foam like padding litterally wore through to bare metal in 6 months. I bought another Koss pair and I am hapily sitting back jamming while writing this.

10. The new MDR–J11G h.ear™ style Sports Headphones are made for athletes. With Vertical In–the–Ear design, Clip–On style and Water Resistant construction, these headphones are perfect for outdoor or indoor activities.

I have these and they have a long cord.

11. Jason says:

Glad to see all these options. I’ve been looking into Bluetooth headphones so I can watch movies on my Pocket PC while I run. The iPhono BT headphones look nice, but wow… $200? Anyone got a cheaper recomendation for BT heaphones that aren’t huge and work well with a Pocket PC?

12. John Mollman says:

Etymotic ER-6 are pretty hot stuff, and should stay put pretty well.

13. Doug Rohm says:

Etymotic ER-6 are the only headphones I’ll use. Incredible sound and they won’t come loose.

14. Dana says:

I use headphones for my workouts as well as for my drumming and honestly, the best pair of phones I found were the MDR-G42LP by Sony. Now, this is not because they are the best sounding headphones, because they’re not even close. But I like them for three reasons. 1) They will not come off now matter how much headbanging I do behing the drumkit 2) They don’t completely isolate me from the outside world and are easy to slip on and off quickly 3) They are cheap as heck and I can sweat all over them and if I ruin them it’s only another $14 or so. However, I’ve only been through two pairs in 3 years.

15. Andy K says:

I rock the shure ec3’s with the triple flange soft plastic insert for cycling. For indoor workouts, I use the foam inserts. These keep the lows really low, and I’m oblivious to the grunts of my fellow gym goers. The e2c’s are nice, but the e3c’s have a noticeably flatter freq response curve.